Cuban Cigars on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind that Cuban cigars are one of the most faked items in the world. Don't count on the "cubans" you buy to be authentic, no matter what label is on them. True cubans are going to be expensive, no matter where you buy them (outside of cuba).

I bought "cuban" cigars in Iraq all the time. Labels are perfect, but there's no way they are real cubans.

Saddam was certainly smoking the real Mc Coy.

Saddam was certainly smoking the real Mc Coy.

Yeah, but haji down at the $1 DVD store aint selling real ones. They weren't bad cigars though, I just knew they weren't real.

Two blocks? :confused: Hehe right.
I was exaggerating, but even going in just one or two blocks you will often see very few gringos despite the hordes of them on the main tourist drag. Still a tourist area but the prices of things are going to be much cheaper.

~Jess

I was exaggerating, but even going in just one or two blocks you will often see very few gringos despite the hordes of them on the main tourist drag. Still a tourist area but the prices of things are going to be much cheaper.

~Jess

I don't think you will see much if any price difference between the shops on 5 or 10 and the shops on Melgar. Still the same tourist shops selling the same stuff.

Without a doubt it is illegal for any US citizen to purchase anything Cuban even if you do not bring it back to the states. Having said that, if you get caught the worse they will probably do is confiscate the cigars. Although I have a friend who's name got put on some list now every time he flies he gets searched and if leaving the country his luggage always gets the once-over. On the other side, they can arrest you, but that has never happened for a single box of cigars.
Regarding cigars, it is very easy for someone to get a hold of Cuban labels and put them on cheap $2 Mexican cigars then sell them for $25. These labels are freely available all over the internet. In some cases from the actual printers printing for reputable companies. My advice, as a long time cigar aficionado, is to stick with off name cigars. Cohibas are just about guaranteed counterfeit (please don't fall for the glass-top boxes, they are fake). It takes a trained eye to spot some fakes. Things to look for include triple caps, the way the filler is packed,, fine details on the labels, the condition of the wrapper leaf, and my personal favorite, the aroma. Cuban cigars have a distinctive aroma that is reminiscent of the north end of a south-bound horse (I know of no other way to put this). They are rich in ammonia and it doesn't smell pretty.
One brand that is seldom counterfeited is the Ramone Allones. Further, if you aren't used to smoking Cuban cigars, the RA is mild and smooth. The Special Selectione is my personal preference (commonly called the RASS).
Whenever purchasing cigars abroad, it is common to find almost all gift shops offering cigars. I would avoid these. Stick with real tobacconists if you can find one. Learn about triple caps and other details and remember, if the deal sounds too good, it is.
Oh, also avoid special cigars. Limited editions means counterfeiters have some latitude as far as label variations go. Often times a LE cigar isn't available form the manufacturer.
Remember, over 80% of all Cubans are counterfeited. This number comes form Cigar Aficionado. Most of those are Cohibas.
Check out these links
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Static/Counterfeit/countgal.html

The Ultimate Counterfeit Cuban Cigar Primer

Shortcut-Cigars > About Cigars > Counterfeit Cigars

Vitolas - Fake Cuban cigars
(this last link is from a friend of mine who is an expert)

if you want to learn more, try a cigar forum. I can recommend http://www.stogiechat.com/cigar-forum/

Good luck!

Now who would have ever thought that sometime during the human evolutionary scheme of things that people would voluntarily put flaming dog turds in their mouth and exclaim that it was pleasureable.
5,000,000 years ago in Olduvai Gorge if Uggh or Aggrok had proposed such nonsense, I would have clubbed them and had their women for spewing forth such nonsense.
When you pass through Cancun, be sure to get some Pene Del Perro cigars. You'll have to look for them, but you should be able to find some.

I know enough spanish to know what that means, Tom - and its likely over the years I've smoked a few - not by choice :rofl3: And you are right, most of what passes for "Cubans" fit that description :shakehead:

Very few things in life compare to a great cigar - but do understand some don't like the smell (well, I hate strong perfume, or aftershave) :)

I smoke 2 cigars a day (La Gloria Serie R # 5 or #6), so unlike many others who have posted and never had anything in their mouth other than a regulator :rofl3:, I want to chime in - also been to Coz over 20 times so......

I have bought Cuban cigars in Cozumel - there is a shop near the square, close to "Casa Denis" that I have purchased from - not bad; but it was only a cigar or 2. I have forgotten more about cigars than 99% of the folks on Scubaboard, and on ocasion the cigars were pretty good, other times, they were awful - so were they "real" ? Your guess is as good as mine - who knows? If they were good, who cares? Most could not tell the difference anyway - b/c if you don't smoke cigars regularly your mouth and palate are not tuned into whats good, smooth, flavors, et al.

I sorta know what I'm doing when it comes to cigars and have had a few ocasions where I knew what they were refering to when they said Cubans were the best cigars in the world - but the majority of time they have been expensive rip offs.

Avoid the cigar shop on the main drag - their cigars suck, are expensive, and you can smell the mustiness and mold - also avoid any place w/ a small display, or a box w/ cigars for sale - you are almost sure to be ripped off. :no:

I bring my own - Cuban's are expensive in Cuba, for goodness sake - so to expect that they are going to be a bargin in the Carribean is wishful thinking. Cuba sell through authorized agents, with a "Casa de Havana" sticker on the door of the establishment proving the providence of the cigars - to think Juan and Maritza are selling real Cubans along w/ the cheap jewelry and Mexican sombreros is again, wishful thinking.

For the majority who would not know the difference between a Dutch Master or an El Producto vs a Montecristo Number 2 or a Cohiba Explendito, its no big deal to buy a Cuban cigar or 2 and pretend you know what your smoking - the only dent is to your wallet.

Bring your own, or buy Mexican cigars - if you want to try a cuban cigar, go for it - but in all likelihood it will be fake - but who knows; you might get lucky! :)

I have bought many over the years from this store as well. For those of you who are not aficinados(sp), if your looking for a decent smoke......never, never buy a cigar that is not being sold from a humidor. This in and of itself does not mean you will get a well cared for smoke but cigars are difficult to take care of properly. Humidors are a must. I dont care if its Cuban or from North Carolina, a dry cigar is trash no matter where it came from. In comparison, I have seen many cigars with mold on them due to too high of humidity. I have bought many Cohiba and MACs there were good and some that were not so good. Hell, anyone can buy rings and throw them on cigars. Those of you concerned about taking cuban cigars home, REMOVE THE RINGS. Customs has no idea and can not prove its cuban without a ring. Always negotiate on price. They will always come down, its not differnet than buying anything else down there.

Exactly, i brought a box of cohibas home from czm ( probably fake cause i got them cheap) and removed the rings. I declared them at customs and was asked if they were cuban. I said no and went on. The agents probably know also that they are fakes. anyway alot of the good cuban cigar makers went to other countries like honduras, Jamaca, etc.

Back
Top Bottom