Cuban Cigars on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I smoke 2 cigars a day (La Gloria Serie R # 5 or #6), so unlike many others who have posted and never had anything in their mouth other than a regulator :rofl3:, I want to chime in - also been to Coz over 20 times so......

I have bought Cuban cigars in Cozumel - there is a shop near the square, close to "Casa Denis" that I have purchased from - not bad; but it was only a cigar or 2. I have forgotten more about cigars than 99% of the folks on Scubaboard, and on ocasion the cigars were pretty good, other times, they were awful - so were they "real" ? Your guess is as good as mine - who knows? If they were good, who cares? Most could not tell the difference anyway - b/c if you don't smoke cigars regularly your mouth and palate are not tuned into whats good, smooth, flavors, et al.

I sorta know what I'm doing when it comes to cigars and have had a few ocasions where I knew what they were refering to when they said Cubans were the best cigars in the world - but the majority of time they have been expensive rip offs.

Avoid the cigar shop on the main drag - their cigars suck, are expensive, and you can smell the mustiness and mold - also avoid any place w/ a small display, or a box w/ cigars for sale - you are almost sure to be ripped off. :no:

I bring my own - Cuban's are expensive in Cuba, for goodness sake - so to expect that they are going to be a bargin in the Carribean is wishful thinking. Cuba sell through authorized agents, with a "Casa de Havana" sticker on the door of the establishment proving the providence of the cigars - to think Juan and Maritza are selling real Cubans along w/ the cheap jewelry and Mexican sombreros is again, wishful thinking.

For the majority who would not know the difference between a Dutch Master or an El Producto vs a Montecristo Number 2 or a Cohiba Explendito, its no big deal to buy a Cuban cigar or 2 and pretend you know what your smoking - the only dent is to your wallet.

Bring your own, or buy Mexican cigars - if you want to try a cuban cigar, go for it - but in all likelihood it will be fake - but who knows; you might get lucky! :)

Thanks to all who replied to my post!

I'm a little disappointed that there aren't any Cuban's on Coz, but I guess I'm not totally shocked either.

I will be flying trough Cancun... I don't suppose anyone would know of a place nearby where I could pick-up a box of Cubans?

I know, I'm pretty persistent, but it worth a shot... haha

At duty free at the airport - while they MAY be genuine (maybe....) they will be expensive - lots better brands out there; much cheaper and more consistant - cubans are not worth the price, nor the very real risk that they might be fake.

Now who would have ever thought that sometime during the human evolutionary scheme of things that people would voluntarily put flaming dog turds in their mouth and exclaim that it was pleasureable.
5,000,000 years ago in Olduvai Gorge if Uggh or Aggrok had proposed such nonsense, I would have clubbed them and had their women for spewing forth such nonsense.
When you pass through Cancun, be sure to get some Pene Del Perro cigars. You'll have to look for them, but you should be able to find some.

This is a hoot. Hadn't seen it before as it's in the wrong forum. [-]Want me to ask to have it moved to the main Coz fourm...?[/-] I asked; they thot it was doing okay here.
Hello all,

I am planning a trip to Cozumel in November (leaving Thanksgiving). Does anyone know if there is a reputable cigar shop where you can get Cuban Cigars on the Island? I'd like to buy a box while I'm there.

Thanks for the feedback!
Like the others, I doubt you'll find real ones
You shouldn't have any trouble finding Cuban cigars but there might also be some cheaper non cuban cigars being sold as cuban. Im not a big cigar fan so I can't tell you where to buy them but personally I would never buy anything on the main touristy strip there. Walk two blocks east and you won't see a single gringo. Not sure if there is much of a non tourist market for them there but anything you find off that strip will be significantly cheaper.

As far as legality it is actually against US law for an american to even buy Cuban products for use while outside of the country. Of course there is no one there to stop you. When coming back from Mexico if your bag gets searched by customs they will confiscate them if they still have the cuban bands and/or box. I have never had my bag searched by customs while coming back, but it does happen from time to time.

~Jess
Two blocks? :confused: Hehe right.

Whether you are searched or not, it's still smuggling. Getting caught with real ones could be more than just losing them; think federal charges, record, etc. Even for fake ones, I wouldn't want the hassle likely involved while they are ruled fake. It'd be ironic to be convicted for smuggling goods from an embargoed country even tho fake.

Now, if you really really want to do this, you'll find better sources in Canada. :wink:

Last edited:
When you pass through Cancun, be sure to get some Pene Del Perro cigars. You'll have to look for them, but you should be able to find some.

I prefer the more robust Pedazo de Mierda myself. Equally elusive, but well worth the effort.

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom