Cuban Cigars on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you opt to remove the labels, do it yourself and discard them (by the way, they should be difficult to get off). If you let the store keeper do it and they always offer, you are just making it easier for them to relabel the next batch of fakes.
Removal of the labels may help get you through customs, but I have heard of customs agents destroying unlabeled cigars. I guess they can't prove anything so you may be less likely to get some sort of severe punishment.
On the subject of mold (great point 5615mike), if it looks fuzzy and brushes off, it is mold and avoid that cigar. Even if the mold isn't harmful, it drastically changes the taste for the worse. Some sellers will try to tell you it's not mold, it's plume. 1st, it is unlikely any vacation spot will have plumed cigars. Second, plume is very rare, mold isn't, especially in such a hot moist environ.
For those of you who aren't familiar with plume, it is a desirable attribute a cigar may take on when properly aged. It can take form 1 to many years. It is a crystallization of residues left on a cigar as the oils leach out. It results in a smoothing of a cigars taste. I have thousands of cigars some aged to over 20 years. Only a small handful have plume. You are not going to find any plume on any cigar in any store on any Caribbean Island. A word to the wise.

I've seen outright mold on lots of cigars in Cozumel - the shop on the main drag (Ave Medgar Evars??) - the street running/facing the water - is famous for it

Told the guy (there were no others in the shop) he had a mold problem; no surprise as he had the cigars exposed to the light in the humidor, as well as having a humidification device pumping out moisture -

He tried to pass it off as "bloom" or "Plume" - which is a great thing - some of the best cigars I've ever smoked had bloom on them - but in this case you actually smelled the mold. Really bad.

He looked at me like I was crazy - I guess lots of others were willing to pay $25 for garbage - and I wished him luck w/ the cruse ship passengers who migt accept his BS.

Bottom line - if you really want to spend a lot of money, for "status" cigars - but one's that are good and you don't have near the counterfit issues -

Try

Padron 1926 Maduro

The new Padron they just came out - I can't afford it as its about $30 - still reasonable by Cuban standards

Fuenty Fuenty Opus X

Davidoff Millenium Churchill

(I did not include the Padron 1964 b/c I don't like the smell - but I realize I'm in the minority so it can be added to the list).

The above are great cigars, but expensive - much more satisfing than the vast majority of Cubans - and no issues about bringing them back to the US, construction, et al :no:

I just don't like to get screwed - so for all those who say "who cares, you're on vacation, I only smoke a few cigars anyway" well, to me thats fine for 2 for $5 beers - but not cigars that can cost well in excess of $30 - plus, why give the shop the satisfaction of knowing they ripped you off (and believe me, they know). :shakehead:

I've seen outright mold on lots of cigars in Cozumel - the shop on the main drag (Ave Medgar Evars??) - the street running/facing the water - is famous for it

Told the guy (there were no others in the shop) he had a mold problem; no surprise as he had the cigars exposed to the light in the humidor, as well as having a humidification device pumping out moisture -

He tried to pass it off as "bloom" or "Plume" - which is a great thing - some of the best cigars I've ever smoked had bloom on them - but in this case you actually smelled the mold. Really bad.

He looked at me like I was crazy - I guess lots of others were willing to pay $25 for garbage - and I wished him luck w/ the cruse ship passengers who migt accept his BS.

Bottom line - if you really want to spend a lot of money, for "status" cigars - but one's that are good and you don't have near the counterfit issues -

Try

Padron 1926 Maduro

The new Padron they just came out - I can't afford it as its about $30 - still reasonable by Cuban standards

Fuenty Fuenty Opus X

Davidoff Millenium Churchill

(I did not include the Padron 1964 b/c I don't like the smell - but I realize I'm in the minority so it can be added to the list).

The above are great cigars, but expensive - much more satisfing than the vast majority of Cubans - and no issues about bringing them back to the US, construction, et al :no:

I just don't like to get screwed - so for all those who say "who cares, you're on vacation, I only smoke a few cigars anyway" well, to me thats fine for 2 for $5 beers - but not cigars that can cost well in excess of $30 - plus, why give the shop the satisfaction of knowing they ripped you off (and believe me, they know). :shakehead:
Jupiter, I applaud & agree with your cigar choices.
I would add some lesser & other cigars to your list:
A once-a-year treat are the Fuente Anejos. Available around Christmas are essentially an Opus with a different wrapper leaf aged in cognac barrels. Available at most upper end cigar shops in the US.
Also, try the Oliva product line. The V is a great cigar with strong Cuban overtones. Strong. Other cigars by Oliva to consider are the S & G line. Most Oliva cigars can be had for under $10 each and are magnificent. I like Oliva because they own most of their tobacco fields, aging barns, rolling factories, etc. This keeps the price down and is passed onto the consumer.
Many cigars are available with different wrappers, some wrappers are from Cuban seed. These are called Habano or corojo.
Some other information that may help a novice smoker. Cigars made in Honduras will generally be the mildest, Dominican Republic in the middle and Nicaragua the strongest. Cigar makers typically combine leaves from 3 different regions to make a cigar (generally sticking to 1 leaf in the filler, binder and wrapper). Maduro is not stronger, just stronger tasting (more flavor). Non-Cuban cigar tobacco comes from the 3 countries mentioned above as well as Italy, Brazil, Mexico and a few other places. Mexican cigars, for the most part, consist of 100% Mexican leaves. Most aficionados I know do not enjoy these cigars at all. Personally I really dislike them (even the high-end Teamo)

edit:
For my palet, the Don Carlos line (by Fiente) is the most Cuban tasting cigar I smoke

Jupiter, I applaud & agree with your cigar choices.
I would add some lesser & other cigars to your list:
A once-a-year treat are the Fuente Anejos. Available around Christmas are essentially an Opus with a different wrapper leaf aged in cognac barrels. Available at most upper end cigar shops in the US.

I've had them - but not for a couple of years - excellent; now that you mention it, I'd like one now :D

Also, try the Oliva product line. The V is a great cigar with strong Cuban overtones. Strong. Other cigars by Oliva to consider are the S & G line. Most Oliva cigars can be had for under $10 each and are magnificent. I like Oliva because they own most of their tobacco fields, aging barns, rolling factories, etc. This keeps the price down and is passed onto the consumer.
Many cigars are available with different wrappers, some wrappers are from Cuban seed. These are called Habano or corojo.
Some other information that may help a novice smoker. Cigars made in Honduras will generally be the mildest, Dominican Republic in the middle and Nicaragua the strongest. Cigar makers typically combine leaves from 3 different regions to make a cigar (generally sticking to 1 leaf in the filler, binder and wrapper). Maduro is not stronger, just stronger tasting (more flavor). Non-Cuban cigar tobacco comes from the 3 countries mentioned above as well as Italy, Brazil, Mexico and a few other places. Mexican cigars, for the most part, consist of 100% Mexican leaves. Most aficionados I know do not enjoy these cigars at all. Personally I really dislike them (even the high-end Teamo)

Tend to agree with you - Camacho, made in Honduras tends to be strong/full - but just tried one w/ a Con. wrapper that while good, was very weak, very mild - great choice for someone who prefers mild cigars however.

As a New Yorker, you probably still see the TeAmo signs on candy stores, etc - big seller in the NY area - like you, I never really liked them but have not had one for years, nor have I tried their new offerings.

Today, unless someone gives you one to try, cigars are just to damn expensive to just take a flyer - me, I'm not going to risk $8 - 12 on something I might hate - not that that's ever happened to me :shakehead::rofl3::shakehead: (Seriously, a few years back - sure, I'd risk $3 - 5 - but with the taxes and other costs, I'm very reluctant to buy a pig in a poke, so to speak)

edit:
For my palet, the Don Carlos line (by Fiente) is the most Cuban tasting cigar I smoke

Agree its a great line - they make great cigars; I'm going to get a few next time I'm out - I've been wedded to La Gloria for 10 years (Serie R - 4, 5, 0r 6); find them getting expensive (correction - are expensive!) and inconsistant - I will not buy them buy the box unless I can inspect every one - bought too many via mail order that were terrible -

PM me if you find yourself in S. FL - maybe we can dive and smoke later - or bag the diving and just smoke!! :D:rofl3::D

There is a real Cuban Cigar Store not far south of McDonald's and Calle 5?
They purchase them in Cuba and inport them. Most of the others are Fakes
and they are not cared for as in this place. Here they are kept in a humidity
controlled room.

You know of a good cigar place?

Hello all,

I am planning a trip to Cozumel in November (leaving Thanksgiving). Does anyone know if there is a reputable cigar shop where you can get Cuban Cigars on the Island? I'd like to buy a box while I'm there.

Thanks for the feedback!
I just got back to Texas from my Cozumel dive trip.
My wife and I were having lunch in a place called Wet Wendys Margaritas. There is a wonderful cigar shop inside called Havana Bobs Cigars. We met Bob, he is a very knowlegable guy.I bought 1 box of Montecristo no.2s. My dive buddy purchased several different singles to try them.I am posative that all the cigars in Havana Bobs humidor are real. Bob showed us several invoices from the only certified Cuban cigar importer. Havana Bobs is located in the main square across from Banknorte on the corner of 5th and 2nd. inside Wet Wendys. Good luck! and happy smoking Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom