Cuff or Shoulder Vent for Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What do you like and dislike about cuff and shoulder vents you've used on dry suits? Which type is best all around, and why?

I prefer the cuff dump myself, easier to manage air. When I vent I just raise my arm, less "rolling" to move the bubble to the front of the shoulder to vent. Also, I have found that shoulder dumps vary depending on where they are placed, some work better than others.

kazinvan:
I prefer the cuff dump myself, easier to manage air. When I vent I just raise my arm, less "rolling" to move the bubble to the front of the shoulder to vent. Also, I have found that shoulder dumps vary depending on where they are placed, some work better than others.
Do you ever want or need to close the cuff vent but find you can't? Does it ever "get behind" in venting during ascents?

The only time I have ever found a need to close the dump valve is when I'm on the surface and want to inflate the suit a bit if I'm waiting to descent. I always dive with the valve fully open.

I have never found it to "get behind", the vents are supposed to dump air as fast as the other valve can push it in. I'm not sure that is 100% the case, maybe under ideal lab conditions. However, if you vent early you will have no problems. If you wait until you are already starting a rapid ascent I don't think any valve will help you at that point. Best thing to do is break the neck seal and dump a bunch of air at once. You will get wet but it's better than an out of control ascent. Once you get the hang of it both valve locations work fine and will not give you too much grief. I just prefer the cuff dump, find it a bit easier to use.

Mike

This is really down to personal opinion and both work well (particularly now shoulder auto-dumps have been better designed/made), but I use a cuff dump.

Not only is is smaller and neater, but it is a simple one-way valve – you lift your arm, the air comes out. No chance of it being accidentally closed shut or anything, as it doesn't have that option.

Yes, it can be a bit of a pain if I am taking a photograph, but I only lose a bit of air and, as I don't use my suit for buoyancy, it isn't an issue.

Mark

Kazivan – on that subject, do you have an auto-dump fitted to your cuff? You might want to look at a genuine cuff dump, as they are smaller, less hassle and so forth.

After doing my first OW dry suit dives I can now see where the cuff dump would have its advantages. I am talking " genuine cuff dump". Once I get use to diving dry it might not be as much of a big deal but now I would easly go with a cuff dump.

My big down fall is the shoulder valve and getting into my gear. BC has got to be all the way on the left side before you go any further. With my comp and compass being on the right arm it causes a problem. I know switch to the left arm.

Ive tried both and would recommend cuff dump every time. My current suit came with a shoulder dump which i hated. Rolling, squeezing,effort required to dump, some air gets bagged on shoulder above it etc so i fitted a cuff dump. Couldnt be simple, to dump, raise arm. That it. No adjustments needed, no manual buttons needed, no rolling needed. As simple as you can get.

If you need to dump from BC/Wing as well as you raise the hose on that the cuff can also vent so you can dump from 2 sources at once if needed.

My cuff also dumps a hell of a lot faster than a spring loaded shoulder dump despite being a lot smaller.

if a cuff dump is better than why do the majority of manufactures make a sholder dump standard?

audibleatom:
if a cuff dump is better than why do the majority of manufactures make a sholder dump standard?

They aren't better. If you ever have plans on doing any sort of overhead diving, stick with a shoulder dump. I have a cuff dump and when I get off my lazy butt, I'm going to move it to the shoulder because you have to contort yourself so much to vent gas from it. The trick is that the shoulder dump has to actually be on the shoulder, not the bicep or tricep.

I use the shoulder cuff and venting honestly isn't a problem as I don't use the drysuit for bouyancy, just for comfort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom