curacao......any "MUST Do/See"??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently spent my second week in Curacao. On this trip, we went to the "other side" of the island and dove with Sunset Divers at Sunset Waters Resort. Cannot say enough about the people, the operation and the dives. From dolphins to Mushroom Forest, the trip was GREAT!!! The Resort is great too. Very laid back and quite willing to accomadate. Bon Dia!

Same comment about Sunset Divers (got a t-shirt and cap even, I loved them so much). Not just a good dive op but a fun bunch as well. The only sad faces I saw were the ones waiting with their luggage to go back home. Mushroom Forest was great - we dove a different site everyday for 6 days, so I can't remember them all, but ended up seeing great stuff - barracuda, 2 turtles, 4 seahorses, scorpionfish, octopus and on the boat rides, not just one, but schools of flying fish all around the boat - that was spectacular. The house reef there is great too - even our instructor/trip leader said it was one of the better house reefs he'd seen on all his travels. Just can't say enough about how fabulous everything was. We had trouble finding the 2 seahorses and octopus that live on the house reef, so on our last day of diving, after giving us specific directions and setting us loose again to try to find them, one of the divemasters came shooting up from behind us and led us to them. He'd decided to lead us there just to make sure we saw them and had to have geared up, run down the beach and finned like a madman to catch us. Thanks Kurt!!!

waterktn,
i have to agree with you about sunset.
my wife would snorkle while my son and i dove.
she can only eat items that do not contain wheat.
the staff in the kitchen waited on her hand and foot.

we noticed that locals would bring their families to the resort.
this speaks volumes to me on the quality of the resort.
this allowed us to sample a little bit of their culture.
most ai's only have tourist.

i'm sure we will make a return trip soon.
regards,

Staying at the Marriot, so I assume you'll be renting a car/ truck to get around the island. Sunset is a good op and you'll enjoy making some boat dives with them. The Marriot house reef is ok, but not what you'll find out near Westpunt. There's two good dives close by at BlueBay, 10 guilders to get in and that gets your first tank. Second tank is 6 guilders. Really nice beach and facilities, bar, cafe.

Car pile is best dove from Peir Baai, The DiveBus now has a shack at Surf and Turf and you can get tanks there or they do guided dives certain days of the week there. The lobster is good there at surf and Turf, doesn't look like much, but good folks. Don't write off the reef at Sea Aquarium either, super nice wall and corals, grab a tank from Ocean Encounters or do a dive with them.

Make a trip out to the Boat House, hill top resturant over looking the marina, treat the wife to some romantic scenery and great food. Maybe we'll see ya' on the island!

tony

AWWW
all you guys are awesome!

thanks for the wealth of info! we can't wait to go!!

-dan

We leave for Sunset Reef Feb 4th. Getting excited. Thanks for all the great info. How are the night dives at the house reef?

valligurl:
We leave for Sunset Reef Feb 4th. Getting excited. Thanks for all the great info. How are the night dives at the house reef?

Night dives on the Sunset Waters house reef are great. We saw squid, octopus, a stingray, along with plenty of fish. Be sure to ask the dive staff for directions to the 2 resident seahorses. We visited them several times on our shore dives. You will love Sunset Waters and Sunset Divers, the staff at both are terrific. We just got back last weekend, still have the Curacao blues! Enjoy.

dang!
now i'm thinking we should've made our reservations at sunset!! lol!! hope the marriott still pleases......

thanks all,
-dan

I got night dive certified while there - it was a snap. I did 2 out of the 3 dives in the house reef - very easy to navigate and lots of activity on the reef at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom