Curacao Lionfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you use surgical scissors to cut off the dorsal fin and anal fins so they do not poke you, the venom is just in the fins not the meat.. lion fish liontamer here is a link of a dive shop on the east coast of fl that is killing alot of the lionfish.

The stupid, it burns here ( the Curacao .gov ). I've only been here two days and made five dives so far, the very first dive straight off Allwest apts I counted 15 Lion fish, haven't seen any less than 6 on any dive yet, even the ones right in front of the dive shop.

Only the folks designated by the gov are allowed to kill them and they have a serious problem. I spent two weeks in Fiji and in two days I've seen more Lion Fish than I did my whole trip there. The reality is though even if everybody that got in the water was allowed to kill them they will never EVER get them all, better management is definitely needed though.

On the plus side the reefs actually don't look as bad as some make it seem from some posts I've read here, it's great diving I just wish I would have packed a huge BBQ fork to point out the great sea life to my wife.:D

So if I can't spear them, is it against the law to bag them?:crafty:

Back
Top Bottom