Curacao resort Suggestions Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from a week in Curacao at Habitat. While the diving was outstanding, there is some room for improvement at the resort.

The dive staff was outstanding, and did an awesome job. The sites we visited where fantastic, and the house reef was pretty nice. Vis wasn't as good as I was hoping, but it is their rainy season, and thats the chance you take this time of year. The dive staff alone would be enough to draw me back there in a couple of years. Maybe stay somewhere else, and dive with them?

The resort staff however could use some customer service training, and the same goes for the resteraunt, which has horrible food IMO.

The night I arrived I did not get the room that I had wanted. Most likely a mis communication between myself, the travel agent, or the hotel. I would have happily paid for an upgrade, and sorted it out later, however I was told nothing could be done, as I did not have my comfirmation number.

I was than asked for 2 credit cards for incidentals? I told them that the wife and I only had brought along one, and that seemed to cause some immediate confusion at the check in. I had left my credit cards at work, in case they needed to cover any expenses while I was gone.

The next morning I went to the resteraunt to grab a bite to eat. I was not told that the resteraunt was owned by another person, and that I needed to open a seperate account. I went had my breakfast, some horrible service & food, and than the waitress asked my room number. I gave her that, and she walked away. 15 minutes later, after she was standing around not doing anything I got up and left. Later when I went back for lunch, the manager approached and demanded that I pay for the breakfast from earlier, or open another account. I paid cash, ate my meal, and never returned for another meal.

I did return to the bar a couple of times, and one time after standing around for 15 minutes without being helped I just walked away. Another time I ordered a lava flow, and rather than saying they didn't know what that was they put something together, not even close. After that I stuck with strawberry margueritas.

Of coarse there was the slow, high speed internet they sell you as well. I've used faster dial up connections. I told them I needed my confirmation numbers, but they where in my email. They sold me the use of their computer in the game room, with a 10 minute card. Took almost that long to login to my yahoo account to pull the confirmation.

Of coarse the rooms are sparce. They do not have wash clothers, shampoo, or conditioner. Even when I visited Fiji they at least provided these items.

Overall the place looked run down, and the grounds where not very clean. I think the overall resort staff could use some better attitudes. Some where good, but most where border line horrible/bad.

Expectations are a funny thing. A place could be a complete dump, but if I know that ahead of time and I didn't pay much, I would probably be happy.

I like Habitat, but then again, I knew ahead of time what I was getting. In March, I stayed at the Marriot with my non diving wife, but dove with Habitat and Sunset. After seeing and experiencing Habitat, I decided to return and stay there with my dive buddy's.

I can't disagree with anything you said except I had decent food and service at the restaurant. Yeah, the rooms are basic, yeah the grounds are a little ratty. As a diver I was completely satisfied. Clean rooms, good AC, plenty of hot water, great house reef, very convenient shore dive setup, tanks at the parking lot for diving other sites.

When I factor in the convenience of the dive setup and access to the great house reef, IMHO, the cost of my room at Habitat was well worth it. Forget the Marriott, I am returning again to Habitat in March.

We stayed at the Marriott last May, and loved it. It is a beautiful resort you won't be disappointed.

The dive op at Habitat is great and the reason to go there. The hotel itself unfortunately keeps going downhill and the restaurant doesn't have much further down to go. Go there and enjoy the dive op, keep your expectations low as far as the hotel rooms and facilities, and rent a car and eat elsewhere.

My pick would be the all-inclusive Breezes Curacao Resort. They include a daily guided shore dive with the package, are located on one of the best wreck dives on the island (car pile), are walking distance to the Sea Aquarium http://www.scubaone.com/Curacao/seaaquarium.aspx, and less than a mile from town with a free shuttle. They have 4 restaurants and 5 bars and are comparitively priced to Sunset Waters, which is 45 minutes from town and doesn't offer many of the amenities. Boat dives are available at an extra cost. The same operator owns "All West Divers" so you have the option of diving on the other side of the island. Curacao Underwater photos can be seen at http://www.scubaonetravel.com/breezes/curacaounderwater.aspx and resort photos I took can be seen at http://www.scubaonetravel.com/breezes/curacaoPhotos.aspx.

R Kraft:
The same operator owns "All West Divers" so you have the option of diving on the other side of the island.
BTW it's no longer All West, it's Ocean Encounters West. They run a bus there one day a week (and likely pack the boat, it sure was when we were there.)

I think this thread is a pretty good indication that Curacao has a good variety of accomodations. All inclusives, 4 star hotel/resorts, boutique hotels, dive resorts, etc.. With a little research most people can find a place that will make them happy.

ronrosa:
I think this thread is a pretty good indication that Curacao has a good variety of accomodations. All inclusives, 4 star hotel/resorts, boutique hotels, dive resorts, etc.. With a little research most people can find a place that will make them happy.

I'm kinda' partial to the condo here in the east side of town, the fumes from the refineries don't ever get to me, (prevailing winds). Only thing bad is the wife (aka bestus dive buddy) had to return home to care for her dad.... Heck, I think I'll just fly over to Bonaire for a couple dives :D , but I still miss you, Sweetie! :coffee:

tony

I wouldn't go any where near Oceans Encounters! Their service and attitude at the Breezes sight was abysmal at best. The Dive Bus Co. is by far the best dive operation I have dove with in the past 7 years! Mark and Suzi run a great co. Andy, Kevin, Sadie and Jespar did an excellent job with our large group last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom