Curacao Shore diving any good??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello...

I was wondering if Curacao shore diving is as easy as it is in Bonaire??

I have been to Bonaire in 2004 and I was looking for a good shore diving spot to take my buddy whom has only about 15 dives under his belt....I want to take him to a place that has good shore diving......

Anyone have any good suggestions besides Bonair??

Ive already been there....

NightRaven77

The shore diving in Curacao is great. Actually you can dive all of the best sites, including the Superior Producer right from shore. You will no problem at all shore diving.

Nightraven77,

You ought to ask a Moderator move this to the 'Greater Caribbean and Bahamas' section under 'Scuba Diving Vacations and Destinations'. You should also try a query on Curacao in that forum.

Having said that, Curacao shore diving was generally as easy and sometimes easier than Bonaire. I could send you some photos if you want.

Also check out www.shorediving.com

The Cane Bay area of St. Croix was good shore diving as well - particularly the Northstar site.

We'll come check out your shop sometime - once we have a weekend free!

NightRaven77:
Hello...

I was wondering if Curacao shore diving is as easy as it is in Bonaire??

I have been to Bonaire in 2004 and I was looking for a good shore diving spot to take my buddy whom has only about 15 dives under his belt....I want to take him to a place that has good shore diving......

Anyone have any good suggestions besides Bonair??

Ive already been there....

NightRaven77

Hey there. Was in Curacao last year but I have not been to Bonaire. From what I understand in Bonaire you just fall in the water and there's the reef. In Curacao you fall in the water swim 50 yds and there's the reef. I did a whole week of boat diving with Habitat Curacao and we never tied off at the mooring bouy more than 200 yds from shore. Almost every site in Curacao is accesible from shore. If you are staying close to town, I don't know much about those sites. But as you head out to Westpunt I know more about them. I think you'll be happy shorediving in Curacao. Nice dives, almost no current. When I went last year... I was the guy with 15 dives, I loved it.

Grand Cayman is supposed to have good shore diving too. Feel free to PM me with more specific Q's about the dives in Curacao.

WarmWaterDiver:
Nightraven77,
You ought to ask a Moderator move this to the 'Greater Caribbean and Bahamas' section under 'Scuba Diving Vacations and Destinations'. You should also try a query on Curacao in that forum.
moved over!

WarmWaterDiver:
Nightraven77,

Having said that, Curacao shore diving was generally as easy and sometimes easier than Bonaire. I could send you some photos if you want.

Also check out www.shorediving.com

The Cane Bay area of St. Croix was good shore diving as well - particularly the Northstar site.

We'll come check out your shop sometime - once we have a weekend free!

Warm water diver, you seem quite familiar w/curacao, may I ask if the snorkeling (for a non-diver) is also good? Such seems logical to me but my other half wants to know.

Cliff:
Warm water diver, you seem quite familiar w/curacao, may I ask if the snorkeling (for a non-diver) is also good? Such seems logical to me but my other half wants to know.

I'm not sure since Ivan went near there last autumn - we were there in late May 2004. The only spot we did much snorkeling was the Jan Thiel area since that was right next door to our accomodations, and the snorkeling there was fine. The shallows at Directors Bay we found a seahorse, mantis shrimp, lots of juvenile peacock flounder, etc so it should be great for snorkeling. And, the Tugboat at Caracas Bay is in almost all the Curacao advertisements, showing folks either snorkeling or diving.

The snorkeling at Klein Curacao was reported to be great also - but we did diving at Klein Curacao and really enjoyed that! If you go, take the day trip on the Mermaid to Klein Curacao for one of your vacation days.

The snorkeling in Curacao is as great as the diving. There are tons of places where you can snorkel over reefs and even ship wrecks. The famous tugboat is one of those. I work as a DM in Curacao for a while, its actually where I got all my training. Playa Laguna (?) sticks my mind as a good snoreling and shore dive spot as does Blue bay. Some one told me theres some good snorkeling around Mambo beach but I never went there myself so I cant say for sure. As was said there is some great diving towards Westpunt and some great snorkeling as well. Most of my diving was done around Williamstead but I did venture up the the Westpunt area often. You will really enjoy your trip there.

I've been to Curacao twice (Oct. 2003 and Oct. 2004)

I can't compare the shorediving to Bonaire as I've never been there but I can say that shore diving on the Northwest side of Curacao is outstanding. My two favorite spots are Habitat Curacao's house reef and Porto Marie.

As for snorkeling Habitat Curacao is also very good, Porto Marie has a snorkeling course that is OK, SeaQuarium (or Mambo) beach has pretty good snorkeling just outside the breakwater. Big Knipp beach is OK along the limestone cliffs at each side of the beach.

As for damage from Ivan, Ivan never hit Curacao it passed about 100 miles north. The island experienced only a couple hours of rain and high winds (at least that is what I was told by the folks we rented the house from last October).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom