Curacao Shore diving any good??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to take issue with the comparison of Cane Bay/Northstar, St. Croix to Bonaire shore diving. They are not at all similar. The surf entry at Cane Bay is well more rough than diving the shore sites on the leeward side of Bonaire. Also, the surface swim is 2-4 times greater in Cane Bay than Bonaire. Bonaire is puff shore diving and Cane Bay is a more "real" shore dive experience with surf conditions, currents, and moderate surface swims involved. Bonaire would be great for rank beginners and I would think twice about Cane Bay with same divers.

This opinion was developed from multiple trips to Bonaire and a week of diving in Cane Bay. I stayed right up the hill from Cane Bay Dive Shop. Both were cool vacation arrangements, but very different.

cmm1970:
I have to take issue with the comparison of Cane Bay/Northstar, St. Croix to Bonaire shore diving. They are not at all similar. The surf entry at Cane Bay is well more rough than diving the shore sites on the leeward side of Bonaire. Also, the surface swim is 2-4 times greater in Cane Bay than Bonaire. Bonaire is puff shore diving and Cane Bay is a more "real" shore dive experience with surf conditions, currents, and moderate surface swims involved. Bonaire would be great for rank beginners and I would think twice about Cane Bay with same divers.

This opinion was developed from multiple trips to Bonaire and a week of diving in Cane Bay. I stayed right up the hill from Cane Bay Dive Shop. Both were cool vacation arrangements, but very different.

I don't believe I did a comparison, I merely stated my opinion - the shore diving was good at both locations, in response to the original post. But, both are quite different. We stayed at the private villa associated with The Waves at Cane Bay, and at Bellafonte Chateau de la Mer on Bonaire. Both good, but different, also in terms of accomodations.

In terms of dive entry, I found no place on Bonaire (or anywhere but Curacao) with rails on a sandy beach for shore entry / exit - which is what is at Jan Thiel on Curacao. This is why I referenced shore diving can be even easier at Curacao than Bonaire at some locations. But, both islands were still good for shore diving in my opinion.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Curacao/Jan_Thiebaai/index.htm

Curacao has both great shorediving and snorkeling. I have only been on the western end of the island, but that is where the best shoredives are located. There is a drive and dive map available on the island which is easy to use. My favorite place to snorkel is in front of Allwest Apts in Westpunt, easy entry, park in the lot across from the church and go down the steps to the entry spot. There are many fishing boats in the bay, you don't see much coral, but I have seen eagle rays and turtles in the shallows there, lots of nice fish along the walls. You can also check out Allwest's new web site, it has many pictures. As far as easy, I felt the shore entries on Curacao were easier than those on Bonaire, the reef is closer to shore in Bonaire, but then I really enjoy my back paddle out to the reef in Curacao.

NightRaven77:
Hello...

I was wondering if Curacao shore diving is as easy as it is in Bonaire??

I have been to Bonaire in 2004 and I was looking for a good shore diving spot to take my buddy whom has only about 15 dives under his belt....I want to take him to a place that has good shore diving......

Anyone have any good suggestions besides Bonair??

Ive already been there....

NightRaven77
Very good shore diving at Cocoview on Roatan. The boat dives were good too. If your buddy only has 15 dives why do you want to do shore diving? The DM went with us on boat dives which helped up buid up our confidience for shore diving.
Cheers, Curt

I'm new to the scubaboard and planning a trip to curacao in April. Anybody have any opinions on the best area of the island to stay for good wall dives easily accessible from the shore. All comments would be greatly appreciated. KB

Since you’ve been to Bonaire, I’m sure you know it has a road that’s pretty much within a stone’s throw of the western shore from the one end clean to the other. Especially on the southern end, you literally can drive for miles and stop at another named dive site every couple hundred yards. I call it a dive site with an island attached.

The roads in Curacao aren’t nearly so conveniently laid out. Finding and getting to most dive sites takes a bit more determination. The ocean often is out of sight of the main road and some of the sites are 5-10 km driving distance from it.

You can pick up a free map at the Bonaire airport that you can follow and get to any site on the island. Almost every road has a sign and most intersections are marked.

There isn’t a decent Curacao road map to be had on the island (unless Samsom has them in stock, which is rare). The widely-available “Drive and Dive” map shows the general location of the dive sites but far too little detail of the minor (sometimes unpaved) roads you must follow to get to some sites. For that, you need Berndston & Berndston’s ‘city map’ of Curacao (ISBN 3-89707-501-6, available online and _sometimes_ at Samsom). Most roads are unmarked. I don’t know if they were never put up or if they’ve been stolen but this island has far too few road signs. Which is why a vague map is precious little good. You can’t count on the signs to tell you where you are. You need an accurate and detailed road map that you can compare to the roads as you find them in order to know whether you’re on the road to Blubaai or Boca Sami.

In many cases, Curacao’s entries are even easier than Bonaire’s. Curacao is rife with sandy beaches and the beach entries here generally don’t have all the underwater boobytraps of the stony Bonaire entries.

Most of Curacao’s dive sites are shore dive-able but not nearly all. Without actually surveying them, I’d guess between 60-70% are. The remaining 30-40% either are a long, long swim from the nearest convenient point of entry or are offshore from privately held land (no trespassing).

Purely considering the quality of the diving, I’d have to give a slight edge to Bonaire. If it’s an overall 10/10, Curacao is a 9.5/10 (worst case, 9/10). And any place that has diving that’s close to as good as Bonaire’s has to be exceptional.

But diving on Bonaire is just plain simpler. Life there is simpler. There’s fewer distractions and hindrances to your pursuit of diving than on Curacao. So if the trip is mostly about your buddy, IMO, Bonaire probably is the place to go. But if you’re keen on experiencing a whole new set of dive sites, …well, I don’t think you’d be disappointed by the diving here.

I have found the diving comparabale between the two islands, Curacao and Bonaire, but I found the traffic on the streets more complicated in Curacao. If you are planning to shore dive on your own, you might consider going with "the dive bus", as then you get a guide and don't have to drive.

I have Curacao underwater photos on this page.
Curacao Underwater photos

The entire island is beautiful above and below the water. I would venture that Playa Kalki (Alice in Wonderland) and Watamula are the best dive sites on the island. Playa Kalki is possible to shore dive but you will have to charter for Watamula. Sunset Divers does a mid week run to the site. There are two piles of cars to dive. One is called Car Pile and the other Car Wreck – both are awesome dives. Directorsbay and Tugboat are great dives day or night and the wall is awesome. If you have the time take the day trip to Kien Curacao (Little Curacao) – it is a two tank dive and picnic on the small island. If you are looking for relaxing (and you don’t get sea sic it is an awesome day trip). The Superior Producer is ok … but you can only do it when there is no cruise ship in port. If you only have a few dives don’t bother. If you do go, it can be dived by shore or boat. Again Sunset Divers runs it mid week and requires AOW.

For my money, if you can only hit one dive on the Island of Curacao do Watamula. There is no mooring ball at this site and it is at the point (end) of the island … healthiest reefs I have ever seen in the Caribbean. It is like what you imagine the reefs were like thirty years ago. It is my favorite dive site on this side of the globe.

PM me if you want more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom