Curacao Trip Report - All West Apartments and Ocean Encounters West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyarab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from Curacao (24th - 30th) late last night. Ok trip that could have been great... read on.

I'll start with All West Apartments first. I decided to stay there based on 2 reviews (I know) on Tripadvisor and from a occasional poster here. The room, which was a 1 bedroom on the second floor, was spacious, reasonably clean, and had a fantastic view. Now onto to the not so good things... I'll start off by saying that I was not expecting elaboarte accomodations or to be pampered. I knew what kind of place All West was... for divers, and independent travelers who do not need to have their hand held or be waited on hand and foot. That being said... I was very disapointed with what we had. Allow me to elaborate...

First... no hot water the first 2 days. My wife was really ticked about this, and when we finally found someone to ask about it we found out that the hot water heater was unplugged. My question... why? Were they trying to save a quarter while no one occupied the room? Now maybe it's partly my fault for not noticing it was unplugged when I checked it... then again I had a tendency to look at the hot water heater and not the plug. You shouldn't have to worry about such things on a vacation. But, we finally did get hot water. It was just a PITA.

Second... I'm on a tropical island and I expect bugs to be a problem... outside. But inside is a whole different ballgame, especially in a complex with numerous rooms that have windows and screens. This isn't a bungalow over water here. There were ants, mosquitos, no-see-ums and the thing I detest the most on this planet outside of liberals (just joking :05: )... spiders. I hate, absolutely hate spiders... any size, any shape, any species. I despise and loathe them. Way too many spiders in this room. One spider had even spun a web from the wall to the corner of my side of the bed... that's just unacceptable to me. We drove 25 minutes to the nearest market for bug spray and repellant. My wife is a trooper cause I make her kill them. I wont go anywhere near those devils' spawn.

Third... I realise All-West had nothing to do with this next scenario but it bears mentioning. After dinner one night we arrive back from the restaurant to find the power out. So now we are back to no hot water, pitch black darkness... and now no air. We opened every window that had a screen to get air flowing through the room but I didnt dare open the sliding glass doors to the balcony and the insect world beyond... they may have sucked me dry and my wife may have woken up next to a mummified husband. The power came back on 24 hours later... so that meant I slept on top of the covers where I was raped by every insect and probably spider in the room. My legs look like I bought them at a leprosy garage sale. Sheesh...

Fourth... this one is really minor and it did not bother us at all. But All West is adding more apartments so there is construction going on most of the time. With construction you get noise. Like I said that didnt bother us, as we were diving most of the time during the day, but it may be annoying to non-diving spouses or friends who are trying to chill out. And I only mention because on one of the reviews I read(Trip Advisor I think) the writer said he got 20% knocked of his room bill because of the noise. We got no such benefit.

I will say that I think we deserved a minor discount with all the crap we dealt with, especially the hot water. Management knew of our struggles, in case you were wondering, and we got nothing... didnt bother me much but it would have been a nice gesture.

We rented a car from All-West (part of the package) it was a Chevy S-10 with heavy wear, and it was manual (no biggie). I didn't really care about the appearance of the car, but I could have done without the exposed rusty metal rod exposed on the left side of the drivers seat... rather uncomfortable getting in and out of the truck. All in all... the truck didn't bother me much as it got it's share of abuse from us. The odd thing was Sunday afternoon after our boat dive one of the All West Employees came to ask us if they could borrow the car. One or two of their other cars broke down or some story like that... so being the nice guy that I am I gave them the car to borrow, since they said it was only gonna be an hour. Well 2 1/2 hours later we get the car back... so much for doing 2 afternoon shore dives. Instead we just hit the reef behind the apartments.

As for All West Apartments, I would not stay there again. It's just a bunch of little things that compound and made it a not so enjoyable stay. Attention to detail would make this place alot better in my opinion... like removing the rocks and broken coral at the bottom of the stairs so shore divers dont break their freaking necks. Little things like that go a long way. Oh, no TV by the way... suprisingly that didnt bother as much as I thought it would.

Cont'd...

OCEAN ENOUNTERS WEST

Formerly All West Diving, they were pretty much great for the entire stay with a few minor hiccups. I'll get those out of the way first. If you plan on doing a lot of shore diving only take 1-2 boat trips tops. The morning 2-tank boat trips go from 9:30am to about 2:30pm... and one of the sites is 5 minutes away. The boat is very slow, but the scenery is nice. The other annoying thing was the night the electricity went out at the apartments... there were no tanks available for shore diving until later in the day(power came back on 9pm the night before). They could have at least have someone come out early and fill the tank or bring them from the shope at Playa Kalki... short drive away. We had to rent tanks from another op that morning, but they did remove our shore diving charges for the day. Oh, almost forgot no Nitrox was available as they were out of O2... my wife and I could have really used it.

The DM Okke was great. Very nice personable fellow with some very entertaing stories. He was a good DM and let people stay down until they hit 500psi while the airhogs surfaced first. My wife and I were always last ones up... I might be bragging :wink:, but then again I dont think our air consumption is that great, maybe a little above average. We only did two boat trips and the second day there were only a total of four divers on the boat. Very nice indeed. The boat dives were to Mushroom Forest, Watamula, Sponge Forest and, Playa Jeremi which can also be done from the shore with a long surface swim. I highly recommend Watamula and Mushroom Forest.

The shore diving was excellent. Most of the site require a decent surface swim but are worth it when you get there. Here are the ones we hit:

Playa Kalki (twice) - Very nice wall with large coral formations and lots of schooling fish. Little to no current. Can go past 130 FSW if you are trained for it. Also known as Alice in Wonderland.

Playa Piscardo (3x) - This is right behind All-West apartments and is a pretty good dive. They have a statue of Meptune right off the fisherman's dock in about 25 FSW. The wall goes down to over 100 FSW. We saw the largest school of creole wrasse... they were swimming in line about 5-8 fish thick for what seemed forever. It was like a non-stop parade... it had to be 1500-200 fish in that little parade. It was mesmerizing... it stretched to the limits of visiblity in each direction. SOmething I'll never forget.

Playa Forti - This is right next to Playa Piscardo. Ok dive, nothing very memeorable on this one. But hey it is a dive! :wink:

Playa Lagun - Very long surface swim but worth it. Very nice dive lots of life. Tons of eels (goldentail and spotted, didn't seen one Green moray the entire trip) The macro guys would love Curacao. Banded coral schrimp and Brown Arrow crabs are seen on every dive.

Grote Knip - Another very long surface swim, but also worth it. Much like Playa Lagun.

Port Marie (twice) - If you go to Curacaqo you must dive this site at least once. It has a very unique structure. There are two reefs... the first oine starts at about 30 FSW and goes down to abou 60FSW, then there is a 100 yard (est) sand channel about 60-65 FSW deep before you get to the second reef. At the bottom of the second reef my computer was reading about 72FSW, it probably go to with 40 feet of the surface. On the second reef there are two vertical sand channels that run deeper to 160FSW (according to map at dive shop on site). I only went to 94 FSW and didnt stay long as nitrogen was accumulating quickly from all the repetitive diving. There was tons of life on the reefs... flonder in the sand channel, a spotted eel out on the sand completely exposed, schools of surgeonfish, amberjacks, yellowfin... you name it it was there. This site is my favorite non-wreck site to date. I could dive that for an entire trip. We didnt even get to see the other side of the second reef where some larger fish congregate... at least thats what I've read.

I would definitely dive there again and use OEW as well... I just want Nitrox next time. Grrrrrrrrr.

So total we did 14 dives over 4.5 diving days. It should have been 16 but Murphy's law was running rampant over those six days. But hey 14 is pretty darn good right!?!?

FOOD

A quick note on the restaurants of Westpunt. I had read there was only one in the samll town that All West resides in but there are a few more than that. El Ranchero's which is right down the road from AW is highly receommended as is I Love Jaanchie's, equally as close. The Kula Holanda resort is close as well with good food but very poor service. It cost about 40 bucks for my wife and I to eat dinner... appetizer, 4 beers, and two meals. Not to shabby. Kula Holanda is aslightly more expensive. So dont worry about lack of good food up there.

Overall the diving made up for all the hassles at All West. I'll go back someday to dive the Superior Producer and Port Marie again.

See ya

Thanks for the report. We dove Curacao for the first time in July, Bonaire is still my favorite but Curacao is a not too distant second. At Porta Maria there is a sunken platform at one end of the sand channel that is home to a couple of sea horses. Another site very similar to Porta Mari is Cas Abao, very similar facalities and dive. I would add it to your list of places to see.

Yeah... Cas Abao was on my list we just ran out of time.

I saw the platform but did not investigate it. Next time...

I enjoy diving at Porta Marie, nice facilities, but the smell from the restrooms gets pretty bad right beside the rinse tanks at times. I think the platform is actually an old pontoon boat deck.

Electricity and Water on the island are EXPENSIVE. Our bill runs around 800 NAf a month so I can understand why they...and we... unplug the hot water heater when we can. Even porta marie has a coin operated shower... LOL

Mosquitos are the biggest pests we have, but not so bad as back home in the wet months, usually the wind keeps them at bay. (Admittedly, we have to swat a spider now and then). Aqualectric has outages regurally so that is to be expected on the island, I'm surprised All West doesn't have a back up generator like a lot of folks.

With all the great shore diving available, sans a couple must do's, Maybe staying in town and dirve and dive or "the-dive-bus" might be a better option. Mushroom and those can be done on a day trip out of Sunset or as you mentioned Ocean Encounters, which also has a shop at the Sea Aquarium area.

We're going on our 4th month here, so I won't mention a number of dives :D
If there's anyone headed this way and needs some info, give a shout and I'll do a bit of investigating for you, from Rental cars to bed and breakfast and maybe a dive site:wink:

Gotta go now, have a meeting at Marriot (brunch) and 3:00 fun at Pierbaai with Aquarius and DiveBus gangs.

Dive safe and often... OH is it "Meptune" or Neptune?

"With all the great shore diving available, sans a couple must do's, Maybe staying in town and dirve and dive or "the-dive-bus" might be a better option. Mushroom and those can be done on a day trip out of Sunset or as you mentioned Ocean Encounters, which also has a shop at the Sea Aquarium area."

I had no problem with Westpunt, and I would definitely stay in that town again. I just won't stay at All West Apts. I can live without staying in town... you've seen one Caribbean Island capital you've seen them all... in my opinion.

And as far as I know it's Neptune. :wink:

dyarab:
I can live without staying in town... you've seen one Caribbean Island capital you've seen them all... in my opinion.
I can see that to a point, but Willemstad actually seems to me to be relatively unique.

Looks like any other Caribbean city...:D
P9023783.sized.jpg

dyarab:
OCEAN ENOUNTERS WEST

Overall the diving made up for all the hassles at All West. I'll go back someday to dive the Superior Producer and Port Marie again.

See ya

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly. Did you you dive the Producer and want to do it again? or do you want to dive it?

I dove the Superior Producer and Tugboat over thanksgiving. For all the hype the Producer gets as a "must" dive it really is no big deal. It really wouldn't be worth the drive from Westpunt for just that. It's also not a shore dive although only a couple of hundred yards from shore (no shore access).

Also I'll second you on the bugs. Because of all the rain they had, the bloodsuckers were out in force.

Dave

DWJ:
I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly. Did you you dive the Producer and want to do it again? or do you want to dive it?

I dove the Superior Producer and Tugboat over thanksgiving. For all the hype the Producer gets as a "must" dive it really is no big deal. It really wouldn't be worth the drive from Westpunt for just that. It's also not a shore dive although only a couple of hundred yards from shore (no shore access).

Also I'll second you on the bugs. Because of all the rain they had, the bloodsuckers were out in force.

Dave

Dave:

Can you tell us about your trip and the diving ?

My non-diving wife and I are going in March, staying at the Marriott. From what I've read, the good diving is on the west side of the island where the Marriott operator does not go. I haven't totally decided who I'm diving with yet. Diving with the hotel operator would definitely be more convenient, but I don't want to miss out on the good stuff either. I may split my dives, I don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom