Curacao Trip Report - All West Apartments and Ocean Encounters West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be a coffee pot and fixins' in the room, replaced daily as you use it up, makes 4 cups I think. Good coffee as I remember. I used the DSL daily as I was "working" and e-mailing photos and such home. We stayed there in August/ early September until we moved to the apartment mid September.

80*? You'd be drinking your coffee at that time of day...LOL In the shade it's upper 80's already, but has been cooling of fairly nice at night. Water is in the low 80's now.

Man you are killing me....The next earliest time it is 80* in WI it will be in a tanning bed. Yeah to coffee in the room!!! Now to find equal & fat free french vanilla coffee creamer and I am good to go!!!

DWJ:
I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly. Did you you dive the Producer and want to do it again? or do you want to dive it?

I dove the Superior Producer and Tugboat over thanksgiving. For all the hype the Producer gets as a "must" dive it really is no big deal. It really wouldn't be worth the drive from Westpunt for just that. It's also not a shore dive although only a couple of hundred yards from shore (no shore access).

Also I'll second you on the bugs. Because of all the rain they had, the bloodsuckers were out in force.

Dave

We didn't get to dive the Superior Producer. I wanted to, but staying all the way on the other end of the island would have made it very difficult for us to squeeze in. So I'll save it for next time... as far as it being a must dive, well it's a wreck and I love wrecks. :wink:

I'm curious as to what the MDR (Marazul Dive Resort) will be like when they are finished. They look nice and the price per night is comparable to All West. They are right on the water but it does not appear there will be access to the water (cliff), at least on MDR's property. So no onsite shore dive... although Playa Forti and Playa Piscardo are right there, and Playa Kalki is a couple minutes away.

Wow, I must say that I'm sorry that you had such a rotten experience on a beautiful island. Tips for future trips, 1. Avoid the rainy season, more no see ums and mosquitos are found during the rainy season on the islands. 2. If you ever run into no hot water in the future, call and inquire instead of suffering as you had to, you know many places on the islands don't even have hot water heaters to plug in. 3. Spiders, well get a grip on life, they are everywhere along with ants, be a man and smash it. I always hit the stores for bug sprays and candles, it makes life more enjoyable.
4. When a local asks for your vehicle, just say no. 5. Pack a generator for those frequently occurring electrical outages that I have experienced at least once on every one of the 8 islands I have visited. 6. I go no where near the islands without my mosquito netting, I'm so sweet, I have to travel with one.

Based on your report, I'm going to have to return to Allwest in Febuary to do a quality control on my favorite cheap dive hangout. The up side for you is that now there are a few other choices of places to stay out on the westend. I hope you can get past this experience and enjoy your next trip where ever it may take you.

sharon:
Wow, I must say that I'm sorry that you had such a rotten experience on a beautiful island. Tips for future trips, 1. Avoid the rainy season, more no see ums and mosquitos are found during the rainy season on the islands. 2. If you ever run into no hot water in the future, call and inquire instead of suffering as you had to, you know many places on the islands don't even have hot water heaters to plug in. 3. Spiders, well get a grip on life, they are everywhere along with ants, be a man and smash it. I always hit the stores for bug sprays and candles, it makes life more enjoyable.
4. When a local asks for your vehicle, just say no. 5. Pack a generator for those frequently occurring electrical outages that I have experienced at least once on every one of the 8 islands I have visited. 6. I go no where near the islands without my mosquito netting, I'm so sweet, I have to travel with one.

Based on your report, I'm going to have to return to Allwest in Febuary to do a quality control on my favorite cheap dive hangout. The up side for you is that now there are a few other choices of places to stay out on the westend. I hope you can get past this experience and enjoy your next trip where ever it may take you.

I didn't have a an un-enjoyable trip contrary to what you may think. I rather enjoyed the island and the diving. All-West was a disappointment given the recommendation from you and other things that I read.

1) I realize that it was the rainy season. I don't have a problem with the bugs that inhabit the wild. I expect bugs to be a problem anywhere outside. I DID have a problems with the plethora of bugs inside the room. But I suppose thats my fault right?

2) We did inquire, it just took a while to find someone to inquire with. It's not like there is a front desk. As for the other other places that don't have a water heater to plug in... I wasn't staying there and that statement is irrelevant.

3) Thank you for your support, I now have a grip on life... my credit score is up, my mortgage payment dropped, my commute is shorter now all because I dealt with my arachnophobia. My point is/was when a spider spins a web onto the bed it alludes to the cleaning and care of said apartment. Again, I suppose that's my fault... like the hole in the wall just below the air-conditioner. Oh, by the way I did kill my share of the little b*stards.

4) Well that one was my fault. Next time I will say no. Like the saying goes, nice guys finish last... or in this case miss a shore dive or two.

5) As a matter of fact I think that spare generator can fit in my carry-on. I'll get right on that. And I'm sure the airlines won't mind that 5 gallon container of gasoline either. I have never experienced a power outage on any other island I've been on, guess you're just unlucky.

6) Netting, well maybe that might be an option, but I have never really needed it anywhere else as far as I can remember.

Well I hope your stay at All-West whenever that may be is as enjoyable as the previous ones. It seems you took offense to my trip report... I called it like I saw it. It's not like I'm making crap up.

I'm already past my "experience" of All West. Don't worry about me and future trips. I know I'll have an enjoyable time in Bonaire in the spring. I'm sure I'll return to Curacao someday... it just won't be to All-West.

Your posts do come across a little on the angry side. All the "my faults" seem a little overboard. You need another vacation with no unexpected bumps. I don't think that I steared you wrong with a recommendation to Allwest, with this I'm sure you will disagree. I try my best to tell people who inquire about Allwest, how it really is there IMHO. Your experience as you describe just doesn't fall within the norm of most others who have stayed there. You by the luck of the draw got placed in one of the upstairs rooms, which during the slow season may not get rented out as frequently as the lower units, thus the cobwebs you found. It's certainly not a perfect place in paradise, but it is what it is, a really cool cheap dive hangout with a terrific view, close to all the really great dive sites,that is affordable to most budget travelers like myself. Oh yeah, I did go overboard with my comment on the generator, sorry, but that's why I pack mosquito netting, I never want to be caught without it. I really hope you have a fantastic trip to Bonaire.

sharon:
Your posts do come across a little on the angry side. All the "my faults" seem a little overboard. You need another vacation with no unexpected bumps. I don't think that I steared you wrong with a recommendation to Allwest, with this I'm sure you will disagree. I try my best to tell people who inquire about Allwest, how it really is there IMHO. Your experience as you describe just doesn't fall within the norm of most others who have stayed there. You by the luck of the draw got placed in one of the upstairs rooms, which during the slow season may not get rented out as frequently as the lower units, thus the cobwebs you found. It's certainly not a perfect place in paradise, but it is what it is, a really cool cheap dive hangout with a terrific view, close to all the really great dive sites,that is affordable to most budget travelers like myself. Oh yeah, I did go overboard with my comment on the generator, sorry, but that's why I pack mosquito netting, I never want to be caught without it. I really hope you have a fantastic trip to Bonaire.

Angry... nah, sarcasm... definitely. All vacations have bumps... this one had countless bumps. Most were taken in stride... since I'm diving, I'm happy and alot more tolerant of the bumps.

I don't think you steered me wrong for your recommendation of All West... what I experienced ranked below what you described, which in your PMs to me was entirely accurate. That's obviously not your fault. As you say, it is what it is.

"You by the luck of the draw got placed in one of the upstairs rooms, which during the slow season may not get rented out as frequently as the lower units, thus the cobwebs you found."

A couple of things with this statement... first it speaks of the "quality" of the establishment. The room could have been cleaned/rechecked/given the once over, whatever... before we arrived. The floors were also filthy, my socks were black on the bottom after walking around for under an hour. It's stuff like that, that All-West can defintely improve on. A cobweb in my opinion, is an abandoned web... this web had a tenant. :blinkinge

I agree with you on the view, the location, and the cost.

I guess we can go on forever here, so we will have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't tell people not to stay there (as I have stayed in much worse places when diving, Tropic Vista Hotel in the Keys... sheesh) but I will give my recollection of the place which will be a little different than yours.

I'm already counting the days to Bonaire and the Den Laman.

Safe Diving.

Scubagal:
We'll be in Curacao in 39 days, can't come soon enough. Staying at Sunset Waters and diving with Sunset Divers. It's 1 degree here now, supposed to get down to -8 tonight. :ice: Wish we were leaving tomorrow!

We'll be there Feb 4. Let me know how you like it. Can't wait!!:confined: :jump: :jump: :fish: :dance_2:

valligurl:
We'll be there Feb 4. Let me know how you like it. Can't wait!!:confined: :jump: :jump: :fish: :dance_2:

Sure will, I'm planning to write a trip report when we get back. I just got an Olympus Stylus 600 with an Olympus PT-029 housing. Looking forward to trying it out on this trip. Only 28 days to go!
:banana:

Scubagal:
Sure will, I'm planning to write a trip report when we get back. I just got an Olympus Stylus 600 with an Olympus PT-029 housing. Looking forward to trying it out on this trip. Only 28 days to go!
:banana:

Dear Santa,
I have a good housing and camera, but it would be really CooL if you brought me a new (and Better) oly for my Pt-10....:D

Hey Connie, give a shout to Kurt and Mike.... heck give us a shout if you'd like :wink:

tony & Bren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom