Curacao Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you not familiar with Undercurrent....it is by far better spent money than ANY dive magazine on the market. The magazines take advertising (sp?) money and would not print anything bad about one of their advertisers. Undercurrent tells it like it is. The Chapbook (compilation of readers reviews of any destination & resort you can think of) is worth the price by itself. It is the first place I go when planning one of my dive trips.

Dave

PS - I am in no way affiliated with UC...I just have been a satisfied subscriber for about 10 years.

TedJ:
Great trip report. Helped us decide on Sunset Waters over several others. thanks very much!!!

Glad you and Tmccar1 found it helpful. Hope you both have a great trip!

I used to subscribe to Undercurrent, however, with more and more people communicating and posting trip reports on boards like this, I found myself using Undercurrent less and less. I did not renew my subscription this year.

I am of the belief that reviews like that should be free and I think that people woudln't mind seeing some advertising in exchange for the reviews. After all, we as divers should just want to help our fellow divers avoid those horrible cattle boats and un-safe dive operators.

I haven't dove with Sunset waters, but I was told on my last trip to curacao that it is the only hotel with a real (natural) beach. I did stay at Breezes and dove with Ocean Encounters on my trip there this past July. You can read my reviews of them on my site...they're always free (and organized by region) :D

Scubagal...I wasn't able to read your report unfortunately (Error 404).

I've been to Sunset Waters twice--June 2004 and November 2004. Loved the hotel and loved the dive op--I would go back there in a heartbeat. The rooms were clean, the food was good, the staff was friendly and accommodating, and I loved the location far from town because we were closer to the better diving, and the hotel offers a shuttle into town or you can rent a car.

The dive shop was very laid back but got down to business when it came to diving. The best sites by far were Mushroom Forest, Mushroom Deep, Watamula, Rediho City and Porto Marie. Well a lot of them were good but those were the standouts for me in the 2 weeks I spent there. Not much pelagic life except for a spotted eagle ray that hangs around one of the reefs, and we saw a few turtles, but Curacao is definitely great diving--shallow to deep, walls, tons of fish and macro life.

Anyway, not sure what you're wanting to know, so feel free to ask any specific questions on here or you can PM me. I want to go back now! :)

Scubagal:
Here's a link to my trip report, including topside and underwater pictures, from our stay at Sunset Waters in January. Sunset Waters Trip Report
Loved Curacao and Sunset Waters. Feel free to send me a PM if you have additional questions.

Just returned from Sunset Waters, largely as a result of your outstanding trip report. We had a great time. Jim Hunter is an outstanding individual and really has a gift of making you welcome. Thanks for the shove over the top that got us to go!!!
TedJ

I spent over a week there this past February. I did an extensive trip report on another board but, unfortunately, that report has vaporized due to a server meltdown.

I loved the place, the dive operation, and the island. Sunset Waters has a really nice little lagoon right off their beach which provides both decent snorkeling and shore diving. There are usually one or two seahorses that hang out in the area and can be found ... with some help from the staff.

The dive operation is first class with good boats and an attentive staff. Boat rides are typically not too long. Food at this all inclusive was usually very good and varied enough for a one week stay. Jim Hunter, the manager at the time, was very focused on meeting everyone's needs and requests. Rooms were comfortable but not luxurious, and some wear was evident if you looked close. The grounds are clean and well maintained.

I have no reservations in recommending Sunset Waters for divers and snorkelers. I would certainly consider a return visit myself.

StanatdiveshopSmall.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom