Current carry-on issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The TSA people see tons of stuff and really scuba gear is probably not that common. I have not had any problems with TSA Esp at our regional airport at Ohare they are a little more inquizitive but nothing outrageous.

My advice is Check everything you can except for the big $$ stuff. I've seen alot of people get really upset on airplanes when there bags won't go in the overhead.

The only problem I have ever had out of TSA was at LAX when I was not allowed to carry on my HID canister light. I had traveled all the way to Malaysia & was nearly home when this occurred. The TSA officer claimed to be a diver & claimed that he had "never seen a diving light like that before". Of course the NiMH batteries ( a bunch of them welded togther) looks rather funny to them going through the X- Ray, but until then had never been a problem. I was forced to check my carry-on & guess what didn't arrive at my home airport until the nerxt day? I was just a little mor than irate because that carry- on also had my regulators, dive computers, prescription mask & other valuables. Thank goodness everything was intact when it arrived, but it sure was a PITA.

I may be wrong but I think that there is now a recommendation that all batteries not be put in checked luggage.
Correct, at least with regard to TSA, as has been posted: They like them in carry-on. There are additional requirements for Lithium batteries, and never leave batteries in a dive light for a number of reasons.

Now if Stoo were leaving out of Canada he may have different restrictions. Airline sites and your national airline security admin should have info. If flying from Canada to the US first tho, you may actually be screened by US TSA; that happened to me once, but it's been years. But he did say he was leaving out of Buffalo NY.
I have found that the more you smile and act friendly, the smoother it goes....
Yep, well - I may not smile, a grin perhaps, depends, don't want to look fishy, but being cordial helps. A woman smiling probly does work better.

I flew to Roatan Honduras a couple of weeks ago, and leaving out of a small, remote airport checked luggage being screened in front of the check-in counter - I standby and explain that I like to be there in case they have questions. She did question the white granule Damp Rid that I pack my Moisture Munchers in and I just explained it recharges the blue moisture removers that go inside my scuba camera. I did forget and pack some batteries in checked luggage but it went ok.

At passenger screening, sometimes they ask about scuba, sometimes they want to see - ok fine, no problem. Just allow plenty of time and make sure all of your stuff gets back to you. They wait on you to watch them search a bag so grab your other things first.
I always pack cameras and other delicates in my backpack, not roll-on and certainly not checked luggage, as roll-ons are often gate-checked, cameras broken with no airline liability.

I carry 2 quart zip-locks: one as my 3-1-1 bag for any 3 oz liquid containers I want on the plane, the other for anything in my pockets I don't want lose in my backpack, but I never use open trays for pocket stuff.

My passport, money, etc stay in my backpack all the way and does not leave my body in transit other than when it goes thru the Xray with me watching closely. I don't let it go until it's my turn to go thru either.​
On return from Roatan, I checked my roll-on too as I am allowed a lot of free checked and didn't want to mess with it on return. All of my batteries were in it, but no problem. I hear about more batteries being confiscated at passenger screening actually and really suspect petty theft with no recourse possible.

I always keep my regulators, computers, and can light in my carry-on. I just mention that there's dive equipment inside at the X-ray station, and they usually look at it and swab it after it goes through. No problems yet.

Hello all...

Just an FYI... We flew from Buffalo, through Charlotte and into Belize. No issues at all. Buffalo on the way down wiped fro residue. Charlotte had a peak.

Coming back, Belize didn't even open the case, Charlotte had a peak again.

I thanked the guy in Buffalo ans told him about my experience in Toronto recently... His comment: Don't compare us to those morons.

I very recently made it through Atlanta security and security at Kona airport with 1 carry that contained 2 complete BP/wing rigs (1 AL and 1 SS) and the other carryon contained wetsuits, dive computers and regulators. Not once did anyone even flinch at what I was sure was going to warrant a visual search.

I have had trouble with cameras that DON'T have batteries. They have asked me to "Turn on" my manual film camera to prove that it is a camera. It was difficult explaining that there is nothing to turn on!

Returning from Chile, they always require batteries to be removed from anything that has batteries, and the batteries must go in the checked bags. That must be kind of hard on the guys with pacemakers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom