Curved lenses on dive masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dan 28

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone know if a manufacturer ever tried to make a curved lens on a mask. I was just sittin here thinking about how cool it'd be. My Sherwood Rona is awesome though. Does anyone know if it be better than flat, or can it even be done because of the temper of the glass? Wonder if it make objects look diffrent?
I posted this just to see and start a conversation.

Hydroptix........still see a few now and then

Scuba Masks by HydroOptix -- Home

I just googled.....they're still around.

The physics are simple: a curved glass/plastic separating air and water acts like a lens, so changes the focal length of your vision. The HydroOptix acted like a -4.5 diopter pair of glasses....so if your vision was nearsighted, not a little but a fair bit, then the HydroOptix would give you an underwater correction. Nice. But if you had 20/20 vision, you needed to wear contact to make your eyes bad so the mask could correct that badness. Neat, huh? Although the product still seems to be around, the only HydroOptix mask I've ever seen was the one they sent me for free (as a keyman item), that I finally sold.

That's sorta what I was thinking. I'd be cool if they could make one that would correct for the
distortion, yet I'm sure It'd be big and bulky, and useless. So it'd take the cool factor out completely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom