Customs, Brokerage and Duty fees in canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm considering purchasing the Scubapro MK17 G250V regulator set from Leisurepro but wasn't sure about how much duty or charges are applied when shipped to canada. Has anybody made this purchase before? If the price difference between the final shipping cost and my local dive shop are within reason than I would rather make the purchase from the LDS, however, right now excluding the hidden fees of shipping the difference is around $275 for the 2 sets that I'm looking to get (one for myself and one for the wife).

Thanks

I am sure this is a formula somewhere... but generally it is the equivalent of GST and any PST you have. When I was in NS it was close to 20%, and now here in ONT it was $45 on a $500 order.

There used to be no actual Duty up to $750 Can. if the product was made in USA. Don't know what the limit is now.

I ordered a BCD/reg/computer package from the US, and only paid GST over and above shipping charges....I guess you'll pay PST as well.

Be sure to use US Postal Service for shipping...UPS and Fedex will hammer you with unnecessary brokerage fees.

I ordered a BCD/reg/computer package from the US, and only paid GST over and above shipping charges....I guess you'll pay PST as well.

Be sure to use US Postal Service for shipping...UPS and Fedex will hammer you with unnecessary brokerage fees.

You can get past the brokerage fees with UPS, if you don't have the option to use UPSP (maybe fedex too, but I'm not sure)

If you're near the border, you can follow these steps .... And since you're in Vancouver, you are, and can. :D

- Contact UPS after your shipment is shipped
- Tell them you want to clear your own package with customs

- When the tracking shows the package has reached the Canada depot - in your case, Richmond - contact the depot to ensure the package is there and available.
- This is important ... I had a package that was at the depot, but still on the truck, so it became a huge hassle that could have been avoided if I was told to come the next day.

- Go to the depot (right outside YVR) and get the paperwork for your packages

- Take the paperwork to Canada Customs - also near the airport
- they will guide you through the process
- Wait for them to complete the paperwork ... I had time for lunch next door

- when you get the phone call that your paperwork is complete, go in and pay any taxes that are due.

- Take the completed paperwork back to the UPS depot and get your package.

It's a bit time consuming, but I really don't like paying $50+ for someone else to so it.

Hope this helps

Ask Leisurepro.

Have them sent to your "uncle Bob or Jim or Pete" in the states. Then they can send you your
"birthday present" of the "used reg" that is now worth less than $100. Those two regs would be able to ship USPS priority in a flat rate box for around 35-40 dollars. Would need your actual postal code to make sure. I sent an argon bottle 13cu ft steel to my "niece" in Canada for 24 dollars. I don;t think she needed to pay anything on top of that. Declared value 75 bucks and even wrote happy birthday on the box.

I'm still waiting for my last shipment from USPS/Canada Post, it's one year late already.:depressed:
If you go with mail service make sure it's insured.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I have decided to purchase the equipment from the local dive shop because I figured after the shipping and other hidden costs it was only going to be about $100 difference for each regulator to buy from them. This to me was worth it since they did drop their price substantially to get in the same price range as Leisurepro. As well, something else that I just couldn't over look was that they have previously let me try out equipment before I buy it and that is the kind of service that the online stores will never be able to provide me. I believe that good service is worth paying for and they deliver every time I go in that store :cool3: Although there are some items that they don't stock and won't be able to bring in that I will be getting from an online source and you guys have given me some handy ideas about having things shipped to me.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom