Cutting tests - which materials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TacticalReviews

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to run a few tests to see how well various tools cut different types of lines you are most likely to come across while diving.

Dong a bit of reading and making some assumptions, so far I've put together the following as likely lines to test cutting:
15lb Monofilament - typical main line fishing line.
50lb Monofilament - typical monofilament leader.
15lb Dyneema - dyneema main line equivalent.
115lb Dyneema - heavy dyneema leader.
2mm Nylon Braid - to represent netting and cave line.
(I'm not including steel cable leaders or any other metal cables)

From your experience is this a good representation, or are there any others worth including?

Last edited:
A quick bump on this to ask if anyone can add to the list. If what I have put seems good to you, a reply to say so would also help. Thanks.

As I can't edit the first post now, while I can edit this one I'll add a couple more materials I intend to try cutting:

50mm (2") webbing.
3-4mm nylon braid
Cable-Ties

2 and 3.5mm Fluorocarbon line has been suggested but this is currently looking too costly for this test.

Last edited:
2" nylon webbing. (harness material, bcd shoulder strap adjustments, etc.)
4mm accessory cord, cave diving "gold line."
#72 braided nylon, also cave diving main line.

2mm fluorocarbon (400 lbs test)
3.5mm fluorocarbon

These are used by the longline fishermen and are made to be abrasion resistant and pretty tough to cut.

Wire ties/zip ties. Heavy ones. Some divers may use them to attach bolt snaps or other accessories. To get a realistic test it should be cinched down on something.

Wire ties/zip ties. Heavy ones. Some divers may use them to attach bolt snaps or other accessories. To get a realistic test it should be cinched down on something.

Yes! Those nylon zip ties are a challenge for straight blades.

If you're a spearfisher, cutting steel cable when a fish wraps you around a rig leg is a potential situation. I personally do not use cable on my guns though.

I always love a truly unbiased product test.

I didn't see the disclaimer. You are in no way biased with respect to the outcome, right?

That is a decent collection.

Test them all two ways, free floating and able to be tensioned. (both ways covered in slime, of course...)

You highlight one of the challenges of attempting comparative testing, and that is the testing conditions themselves. There are so many variables it is impossible to truly represent real conditions.

I'm not a diving expert (hence this thread), but I am very experienced on the subject of knives and cutting tools. My approach is to try to give some indication of the cutting ability of the various plain and serrated edges, plus line cutter hooks, in controlled conditions.

You mention free floating and when a line can be tensioned. My thoughts would be that effectively this translates to the diver having to hold the line to cut it, or the line being either properly under tension (both ends fixed), or fixed at one end so it is easier to pull on it. Another scenario is that the line is wrapped round the divers limb/s or equipment. In this case, the wrapping provides resistance for the cut.

To allow me to do some form of testing I decided that I would keep things simple and cut in the dry (so I can keep track of all cuts and make notes easily) and to cut lines that are untethered and must be hand held, and lines which are tethered at one end so I can pull against something. This will have to do for now.

There is also the massive issue of the variance of the factory-edge quality on each knife and how much the performance might be improved by proper sharpening.

2" nylon webbing. (harness material, bcd shoulder strap adjustments, etc.)
4mm accessory cord, cave diving "gold line."
#72 braided nylon, also cave diving main line.

Thank you, though the webbing cuts are less what I was thinking of as it would be a known part of the divers equipment rather than an unknown hazard, I'm interested in the cut performance on this. What is quite variable is the resilience of the material. My intention is to source some seatbelt type of webbing (herringbone) as this will be the toughest.

2mm fluorocarbon (400 lbs test)
3.5mm fluorocarbon

These are used by the longline fishermen and are made to be abrasion resistant and pretty tough to cut.

I think this is going to be too much of a stretch as it is expensive and difficult for me to source in those heavy sizes.

Though not the same, I do have some heavy duty strimmer line which I can use and should give some indication of dealing with a thick mono-filament.

Good call, and worth a try. As with the webbing, this was not the sort of hazard I was thinking of and an entanglement hazard, but I'm considering including this.

If you're a spearfisher, cutting steel cable when a fish wraps you around a rig leg is a potential situation. I personally do not use cable on my guns though.

As in the OP, I'm not including metal cables as I'd suggest a proper snip tool needs to be used for this if anticipated.

I always love a truly unbiased product test.

I didn't see the disclaimer. You are in no way biased with respect to the outcome, right?

Not quite sure the purpose of this post as there is no need for a disclaimer in this thread which is only discussing materials I intend to use for testing. Rather than just ignore it though....

As much as is humanly possible I try to remain unbiased in all my testing. There is always the possibility of personal preference coming into play, but I try to indicate when this is the case.

When carrying out tests I do report the actual test results along with my interpretations and impressions. The reader can then interpret those results how they want to.

I am not affiliated with any manufacturer, nor paid by any for my testing, however I am supplied with samples for testing FOC which are not returned (or sold). If/When I do post a review on this forum there would be a disclaimer to indicate where the samples came from. As with anything on the internet it is then 'reader beware'. If people feel what I have to say is worth listening to, then this will be based on my reputation and previous work.

I'm always open to questions and other opinions on my testing methods.

Bias is a very difficult thing to remove entirely, and it is up to the reader to decide how much weight to give to any one persons words. That is a bigger discussion and not one for this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom