Cylinder threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
To my surprise, I tried Search & Google with no luck. Does anyone have a list of cylinder threads (where the valve seals to the tank) used on Scuba cylinders here and in Europe?

Related questions:
1. A lot of people refer to early ½" tapered cylinder threads used on Scuba tanks as NPT (National Pipe Thread). Gas suppliers refer to what appears as same thread on industrial cylinders as CGA threads. I have also read somewhere that there was a lot of confusion during WWI with the British threads and the standard was changed around WWII. I still see industrial cylinders (Oxygen, Nitrogen, Helium, etc) in use with dates like 1909. I could only find gas-specific fitting connections used on the outlet side of the valve on the Compressed Gas Association's Web site.

So what is the scoop? Is it standard ½" NPT or slightly different?

2. I have never noticed O-ring sealed valves on cylinders outside of the Scuba industry. Is the design adopted from the gas industry or invented for diving? As near as I can tell, Aqualung/US Divers introduced the first O-ring connection in their 1960 Catalog, Page 6: ¾" STRAIGHT PIPE THREAD WITH "O" RING ATTACHMENT (Patent Pending) replaces outdated litharge seal, (See Page 7)...

3. Since then (assumption on my part) it appears there are now three O-ring sealed straight thread Scuba cylinder threads in use:

• ¾" NPS (American National Standard Free-Fitting Straight Mechanical Pipe Thread)
  • 7/8"-14 UNF (Unified National Fine) introduced in the US with 3,500 PSI cylinders
  • M25 (Metric, 25mm diameter) used in Europe. Anyone have any idea when this was introduced? A wild guess would be it is the European counterpart to ¾" NPS, perhaps introduced by Air Liquide or another one of their diving subsidiaries.
4. All this started because I need to hydro some AGA (now Interspiro) Divator 324 bottles. They are DOT stamped. The tapered thread is about 30% smaller than the old ½" cylinder threads and use an AGA made valve with a 300 Bar DIN outlet. Anyone know what thread they use? They are 300 Bar/4,351 PSI

Hopefully, someone has compiled all this and I have just not been able to find it.
Thanks

Luis is the man you need. He has a couple of AGA rigs and can tell you what you need to know but I think the taper threads on them are not either the NPT or GCA but European taper.

There were also some 1/2" straight threads with O-ring seal.
Bill

1) The 1/2" NPT and the CGA 1/2” tapered pipe threads are exactly the same, with (I believe) one minor exception. I think the specifications for the CGA threads are a bit shorter over all, but they are still perfectly interchangeable.

2) Aluminum O2 portable tanks also use O-rings. I am fairly sure there are other aluminum tanks for other gases that also use O-rings.

3) The thread below may have some useful tank thread information. I don’t know when the 25 mm thread became popular, but the idea that it is so close to the 3/4" standard US tank thread is very concerning.
SCUBA Valves: Regulator Fittings, 200 vs 300 Bar FAQ and Cylinder Neck Threads - Dive Gear Express

4) I don’t have AGA tanks; I have Poseidon and Drager tanks with tapered threads. The threads are smaller and they have a bigger taper angle. I had an adapter made about 35 years ago that I still use, but a good hydro station should have an adapter for them. If you are near a large marine port, you should be able to find a hydro station that services life raft tanks. Many life raft tanks use all kinds of metric threads.

Good luck.

Luis,

I recall that Sportsways introduced the O ring seal.

The frist Sportsways valve has a OD of about 5/8 --bigger that the 1/2 but smaller than the 3/4 valves. However I can not locate my documentation on this...Can you verify?
sdm

Hi Sam

I think the Sportways (and a few White Stag also used the same size) used the 1/2” straight pipe thread, which just like the 1/2" NPT (tapered pipe thread) are actually larger than 1/2". The nominal size refers to the inside diameter of a standard pipe (I think schedule 40, but I am not sure).

The 3/4" NPS (straight pipe thread) is also referring to the pipe inside diameter. The actual thread size is just over one inch. I think it is about 1.06”, but I don’t have a reference chart handy. I do recall that it is an odd thread size, but that is not unusual on threads.

Luis,
I am certain that you are correct. I also recall they were only produced for about a year or two.

I some how recall in the 1970s SDM had an article on the threads some years ago written by the late Jack Mc Kinney. -- By the way I was with Jack's son John last week end

SDM

Here are US standard outside diameter pipe sizes for straight and tapered threads through 2"

Size (in) = Nom. OD
1/8 = 0.405
1/4 = 0.540
3/8 = 0.675
1/2 = 0.840
3/4 = 1.050
1 = 1.315
1¼ = 1.660
1½ = 1.900
2 = 2.375

I recently received a reply from Interspiro:

Depending on the age of the pack, the Divator 324 (300 bar, 2 cylinders, 4 liter water volume) can either have a tapered thread or a straight thread.

The older steel cylinders had a tapered thread (EN 144-1, E17 con) and Teflon tape. The outer diameter at the largest point is 19.8 mm.

The newer cylinders have a straight thread (like our SCBA cylinders) of either a M17x1.5 or M18x1.5 with an o-ring seal.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom