CZM accident on 5/27 or 5/28?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LisiaK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I am looking for any info of a dive accident in Cozumel that my dive group witnessed the previous week (on 5/27 or 5/28). We had just taken our gear off from a dive near San Fransisco reef when a dark blue dive boat (I think it was a Papa Hogs) flew past our vessel. There were a few people on board the blue boat huddled over someone on the floor of the boat. Their captain yelled to our dive master to pick up the rest of his divers who had just surfaced off of our bow. We picked them up and headed for one of the resort docks where multiple people were crowded around the apparent victim. They appeared to be doing CPR. They stopped and carried the victim off of the dock and towards, what we assumed was the direction of the ambulance. Our spanish is sub-par, but our dive master mumbled something about uncertified. For the rest of our trip, no one seemed willing to give out any information. We have no idea if the diver made it. Anyone know anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to SB, LisiaK - whatever it takes.

I just have not seen or heard anything about this accident. I arrived on the island at midnight on May 27 after a long day of travels & delays, slept until noon the next day - but then the locals generally do not talk to tourists about such, as you experienced, even if you saw it happening. Some accidents make it into local media, but not many, and even when they do - we wonder what they're trying to say.

The facilities for treating divers do stay busy enough to stay well staffed & equipped, which is good for those in need, but the locals try to keep as much as possible as quiet as possible.

Thanks DandyDon. Things did not look good as the diver was carried away. It's terrible that an incident where someone more than likely lost their life is so easily covered up.

Thanks DandyDon. Things did not look good as the diver was carried away. It's terrible that an incident where someone more than likely lost their life is so easily covered up.

Know your surroundings - IMO people take the good ol USofA for granted as if all place are or should be like it is here... It is not. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom