DAN insurance: worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234:
So I see people touting DAN as a good insurance coverage policy for every diver...I am wondering if anyone has any horror stories of dealing with them?

--Lord1234

DAN is a great organization. It's really cheap insurance for what you get. Supporting them by buying insurance is not only a great way to cover yourself for accidents and such, but also a great way to further the sport of diving and its related sciences. DAN is always at the forefront of diving medicine, gathering statistics related to injuries and such, and educating divers, dive professionals, and medics. In essence, they are making diving safer by doing what they do. I consider a DAN membership as an essential part of being a safe diver and being part of the diving community....

I had to use my DAN insurance in July. I was air evac'd out of northern Western Australia to Fremantle outside of Perth. DAN was awesome. They are taking care of everything, including extra hotel costs and the cost of plane tickets because I couldn't fly for 4 days after my "incident".

We have their master plan, I believe. I don't recall right now, but it's the upgraded policy that covers other costs than the basic plan.

Last year DAN also assisted with an insured diver in our group to get him out of Papau New Guinea. We had great service from DAN then too.

DAN insurance is a must, IMO.

shep

I have been diving for 11 years now. I have been a DAN member the entire time and I carry the premium package. For $100 a year or so...it is worth having the peace of mind. Luckily, I have not had to make a claim and I have not had any diving accidents. Peace of mind is worth the insurance.

Just my 02.

My DH and I carry DAN insurance, and have since we got certified. So far we've never had to use it <knock wood>, but know that if we need it it'll be there. We also like the idea that every penny goes toward helping divers in one capacity or another, whether it be for DCI incidences or dive research. IMO it's well worth the couple of hundred it costs us every year.

I personally have the PADI dive insurance. I have never had to use them fortunately. You will hear horror stories about every insurance company - it's their job to get out of paying claims if at all possible. Dive insurance is a great idea for piece of mind. A bad hit/treatment could cost big $$.

--Matt

I agree with all the above posters and would like to add that DAN Europe also cover professional liability for instructors etc, it is a great package and terrific value for the cover it provides! www.daneurope.org
Peter

DiveMe:
We also like the idea that every penny goes toward helping divers in one capacity or another, whether it be for DCI incidences or dive research.

Dan insurance is a for profit company. The money you pay benefits the insurance company. You Dan membership is used for the research and whatever else they choose to spend it on.

-gm

From everything I have heard, and read, DAN is some of the best money you will ever spend as a diver. Their top-of-the-line coverage plan is only $99 per year. Compare that to the tens of thousands of dollars that a set of chamber rides will cost if you get bent.

Also, you have access to their affiliated equipment coverage carriers as well.

Speaking for myself, I am very, very glad I got the coverage.

--'Goose

lord1234:
So I see people touting DAN as a good insurance coverage policy for every diver...I am wondering if anyone has any horror stories of dealing with them?

--Lord1234

Here's a horror story:

The helicopter ride can cost anywhere from $5000 - 25,000 and your normal insurance probably won't cover it.

The chamber ride can be about the same, and your normal insurance probably won't cover it.

It's only 100 bucks a year for DAN insurance and it's recognized world wide.

Hmm, I guess that is not a horror story but more of a "no-brainer", but that's just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom