DAN insurance: worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I see people touting DAN as a good insurance coverage policy for every diver...I am wondering if anyone has any horror stories of dealing with them?

--Lord1234

do you just want horror stories? that'll be a pretty biased view!! i have it, my girlfriend does too, the one time we needed it ( she needed minor surgery to remove some spines from her hand) they came through no problems...

Sure good stories help...but I am more interested to see how they come through in a serious bind...

Been plenty of folks have had serious chamber rides & such, and DAN took care of them. I bought policies for my wife & myself.

PADI also sells insurance, and a couple of other sources. Need to compare the details & see which best matches your diving. Some pay for any needed transport from a dive site, for example, where others only do so if you're past a minimum distance from home.

I think it's a safe bet that you should have a policy from one of them, whether DAN or not, if you're diving.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/benefits.asp

Here is the link to the membership benfits area of DAN.
I carry DAN insurance and have for a long time. I am upgrading to the PRO package when I am up for renewal.
I get together once a year with bunch of buddies I have from Mississippi. every year the bulk of the group is diffrent but the core people are the same. On 2 separate trips the same guy had signs and symptoms of DCS (both times it was a false alarm but that is another story) first time No- DAN we were all in Belize. he had all kinds of diffuclty trying to get assistance, evac, etc. second time. two years later same guy, same problem same location. this time he had DAN. aside from his condition he had zero problems with anything. (after the second time it was determine he had a rare neurological disorder and not DCS)
I was already a DAN member but if I wasn't before I would have joined for sure after seeing how well this guy was taken care of, by DAN, the second time around.

IMO worth every penny and then some.

I agree- you should have some type of dive related insurance.

I have DAN insurance, and they came through big time for me.

I got bent in GC, and while my regular health insurance picked up most of the bills, the DAN insurance covered the rest. The DAN insurance also covered: new tickets home, some $$ for the extra 3 days we had to stay there, and $$ to ship home gear/luggage-after the Dr. said I could not lift, carry or drag anything. (total approx $3000)
I'd suggest doing a search- there have been several threads addressing this topic.

Take care,
Mike

If you can afford the evac and chamber ride, you may come up with a suitable alternative to suit your needs. I hav'nt, cant, and quit looking. DAN rocks.

Compared to this sport, insurance is cheap. I've used my DAN insurance (Preferred), and they covered my co-pays and additional travel/hotel expenses, even though my health insurance payed for the chamber in the long run. The amazing thing was, when the chamber ops looked at my DAN card, they knew they were going to get paid (DAN paid them, then my insurance paid DAN) and they fired up the iron pony no questions asked.

Get dive insurance!

I don't know much about the other insurers, but DAN has great relationships with the facilities. The medic on duty had personal knowledge of the HBO docs in Bonaire, and were able to reassure me that this docs studder didn't mean he was a hack!

Whether or not it's worth it depends on what other insurance you already have. Keep in mind that DAN is secondary insurance ... which means that if your primary insurance carrier covers you, they won't.

As an example, when I visited the chamber a few years back, my primary insurance covered all my costs after a $300 deductible. My DAN policy picked up the $300 ... it didn't cost me a cent.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom