DAN Responds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you provide the actual number of cases DAN has helped that there weren't any delays or mistakes made?

Not even DAN could provide either with 100% accuracy even if so inclined.

Further, while everyone is using DAN like it is a single organization it isn't. Plus different business units using DAN in their name offering generally same services in different places use different suppliers to deliver the services.
Maybe all these threads should change title into "DAN North America/US.............."
No org is perfect. I'll admit I was shaken after reading Woody had to pony up for his treatment. It's not a matter of how much money you have, but what is available at the moment. Most of the world does not use CC as Americans do, with according credit limits. I know I don't.
After calling bunch of my dive friends to compile as much of good/bad DAN stories as I could and after reading DAN's statement I am feeling a bit better. But I will pay more attention to financial aspects of dive trips from now on.

Maybe all these threads should change title into "DAN North America/US.............."
No org is perfect. I'll admit I was shaken after reading Woody had to pony up for his treatment. It's not a matter of how much money you have, but what is available at the moment. Most of the world does not use CC as Americans do, with according credit limits. I know I don't.
After calling bunch of my dive friends to compile as much of good/bad DAN stories as I could and after reading DAN's statement I am feeling a bit better. But I will pay more attention to financial aspects of dive trips from now on.
yeah, the states are crazy. The credit lines they give are insane if you have good credit and a established record.

The one thing I go back to is, from my memory of years of holding DAN coverage (and gladly never needing it) is had you call DAN FIRST, and from there they assist.... What I keep stumbling on from the information I have seen, is that the doctor at the site refused to utilize the assistance of DAN, forcing this into a tail spin.... You can't expect this to work out smoothly if all parties don't cooperate. While DAN admits there was a failure of their "sub-contractor", there was also a failure on behalf of the service provider to work with DAN. That will seriously interfere with any coordination of efforts, and I see that as an issue here...

The one thing I go back to is, from my memory of years of holding DAN coverage (and gladly never needing it) is had you call DAN FIRST, and from there they assist.... What I keep stumbling on from the information I have seen, is that the doctor at the site refused to utilize the assistance of DAN, forcing this into a tail spin.... You can't expect this to work out smoothly if all parties don't cooperate. While DAN admits there was a failure of their "sub-contractor", there was also a failure on behalf of the service provider to work with DAN. That will seriously interfere with any coordination of efforts, and I see that as an issue here...
I posted too much speculation

SB should sign up as DAN business partner and do banner ads
They are already an advertiser.

Depending upon your location, you should NOT call DAN first. If you can arrange your own transportation by activating the EMS, you should do that. To do otherwise will waste valuable time. Ideally, two calls can be made on the injured divers behalf simultaneously, but do NOT ever assume that when you call DAN they are immediately working with local people to get your transport started.

I have first hand experience with this, when I was assuming that we call DAN first - which we did and I assumed they would start the ball rolling on transport or at least tell me they are NOT doing that while they keep me on the phone asking for superfluous information. Eventually had to hang up, get evacuation request started, then called DAN back. Treatment was consequently delayed and the diver was permanently paralyzed. Not such a good outcome. This is not a minor detail.

Depending upon your location, you should NOT call DAN first. If you can arrange your own transportation by activating the EMS, you should do that. To do otherwise will waste valuable time. Ideally, two calls can be made on the injured divers behalf simultaneously, but do NOT ever assume that when you call DAN they are immediately working with local people to get your transport started.

I have first hand experience with this, when I was assuming that we call DAN first - which we did and I assumed they would start the ball rolling on transport or at least tell me they are NOT doing that while they keep me on the phone asking for superfluous information. Eventually had to hang up, get evacuation request started, then called DAN back. Treatment was consequently delayed and the diver was permanently paralyzed. Not such a good outcome. This is not a minor detail.
thanks for the "reality check". Stated in honesty...

Unfortunately this is the way medical facilities work and I am sure as a Brit if i turned up at a hospital in the US I would expect that a charge would be taken against my credit card even though I travel with insurance this might not be resolved until I got home

This is not the case. If a hospital in the US accepts Medicare / Medicaid (and they all do) then they are required to provide treatment to anyone who comes in needing it. Yes, they will probably overcharge you and might even sue you, but you will be treated.

The way to judge a company is not when they get it right, that is what they are being paid to do. The way to judge a company is when they get it wrong, and how they respond.

Back
Top Bottom