Dang- Never should have sold my gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What was the site that was two guys (I think from Texas)? They used to promote their store on here all the time. I liked their site.

Thanks for the joediveramerica info.

Joe and Larry of ScubaToys?

I don't know that there's any rigid rules about what to buy first, but it seems like most people first get their masks, snorkel and fins, then go from there on to the more expensive stuff.

Sometimes there are threads here about which to buy first, reg or bc, and the opinions offered are all over the map.

I take all this to mean there really aren't any right or wrong answers. Figure out the type of gear you'll need and shop accordingly. If you find something on your list that's a really good price, snap it up and cross it off your list.

Welcome back!

I've bought plenty of gear used: backplates, wings, hoses, etc. If it's life support equipment (regulators) or electronic (computer/bottom timer) then I would get it serviced, that's all.

Peace,
Greg

Craigslist is the way to go... When I buy used I expect to service the regs (49.99 at scubatoys) and test it when I pick it up for obvious malfunction (fill the BC till its vents itself, gas up the regs and take a breath or two, I brought a full tank does the gauge show 3000 psi, and so on).

Yeah! That was them. Man, it has been too long....

Some used stuff is perfect-----bought a used BC for my wife & my last reg(used) from the classified sections here......start looking(used) IMO....

So it has been literally a few years since I have been on this site. Last time I was here, I sold my gear because my wife and I couldn't afford for me to dive so I gave it up.

Well, we've been talking and now we have some friends who are interested. I am going to get my wife certified and probably going to begin slowly getting gear again.

So I absolutely HATE that I got rid of my gear...It wasnt the best, but it was mine and I loved it.

So how should I go about getting new stuff? I know there is a stigma about buying used, but I really cannot afford new. Also, I am generally thinking I should buy my wife the better gear. I can handle myself pretty well under water, but she is a little more unsure of herself.

Can anyone point me in a helpful direction? Maybe someone wants to donate some gear because they feel really bad for me? (Ok, so maybe not....)

So it is good to be back on the board. I missed being here. I guess diving got in my blood.

I don't think there is any stigma about buying used as long as you are aware of what you're buying. Check out items as much as you can before purchase, check for obvious concerns and look online for reviews of specific items and information about having it serviced etc. Make sure you have used regs serviced but ignore the naysayers who insist you have to buy new so you can have the warranty (which is very unlikely to ever actually get used.) Buy "reputable" brands that are either still in business or you know you can get easily serviced or get parts for when repairs are needed.

Take your time and narrow down the field to a few specific items/brands and search for those things. It will be much easier than searching for "scuba gear".

Don't be afraid to buy older gear, especially on a budget. You don't have to go out and buy fancy computers, just get a watch (you probably already have one of those) to use as a bottom timer and an SPG. Plan your dives on paper and dive your plan.

Get gear here, on the decostop, at leisurepro, scubatoys, craigslist, ebay, or whatever else may be appropriate to your location. I know one of the online vendors also has a "used gear" section but I can't remember which one.

I will also recommend checking out the DIY section of this board for good ideas on some cheaper alternatives if you're willing to commit some of your time.

I buy softgoods from LeisurePro. They're now licensed resellers for (I believe) Oceanic and Zeagle among others. For other brands, all warranty work is through them.

LeisurePro and Scubatoys often list used gear on their sites also. I bought a brand new Zeagle 1st stage from ST for $60 new w/warranty card. It had been their counter demo but never wet.

Other places you might look:

Find Scuba Gear and Diving Gear at the World's Largest Scuba Equipment and Dive Equipment Retailer!
Divers Supply - Discount Scuba Gear - Snorkeling Equipment - Largest Scuba Diving Equipment Selection!

misc. smaller items w/good prices: Piranha Dive Mfg.

You might also check with Indian Valley Scuba or Dive Right In Scuba - both are Internet retailers with brick/mortar stores.
Both post specials here: Hot Deals - ScubaBoard

I too bought A lot of my gear used. Great way to get good gear and great price. Just always make sure during purchase you ask the right questions for you. Always get the gear serviced before use.

If your looking for Reg's and want new but not new price I would seriuosly look into the HOG line up. I have heard great things and you can get a set 1/2nd for about 200~ new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom