Dangerous Crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Taking that into account and trying to piece it together leads one to believe the boat either had a glass bottom viewing section that was either completely removed and repaired and ended up breaking up and sinking the boat, or the boat still had the glass bottom viewing section and it was possibly 'repaired' in some sort of way from the inside and 'covered' in some way?

On a glass bottom boat, at least the ones I have been on, the viewing area is a large raised rectangle in the middle of the hull. I don't see how the vessel could be used as a dive boat with that structure in place, even if you covered it over. It would have to removed, and it seems to me that sealing that giant hole with a structurally sound repair would be problematic, to say the least.

I wonder if anyone has ever stood on a dock, looked at the situation, and said, this is not safe?

Glad everyone is ok, a lot to be learned from this, think about it the next time you head out.
Darol,

Been there; done that. It was not in Mexico but in Panama City, FLA. Friends and I boarded a large dive boat. It was already a full boat by the look of things. The crew had no place to put our gear or to direct us to put our bags. They insisted that everything would be taken care of.

I turned to my buddies and said I would not go out on the trip, that the boat was overloaded, and it would be, at the least, uncomfortable, and quite possibly dangerous. They thought about it, agreed, and we grabbed our stuff and left.

Ron,
I worked in a dive shop in St. Thomas, USVI. We constantly monitored channel 16. I can still hear the port authority's regularly scheduled announcements and answers to operating watercraft.
I am entirely certain that channel 16 is monitored in Cozumel, too. I believe I remember hearing it in dive shops there, but I cannot swear to it.

Glad everyone made it home okay. Floating is damned sure no fun.

The reason I posted on this thread in the first place, I was offered a trip via fastboat to do the BS Dive to the tune of $125.
The conditions looked bad to me at least, I passed on it, they went, saw nothing, got the hell beat out of them over, and back.
After talking to those involved, it was a good decision. Can't say it enough, so glad this had a happy ending and all are safe.

Don, maybe we could combine a radio, mirror, ashtray, gps, inflatable belt cigarette lighter, SMB, like a white trash bag, flashlight
get a patent and live happily ever after.

Not you and me, I mean, :D not that there's anything wrong with that......:cowboy:

Last edited:
Something I've seen many times is folks pulling on their wetsuits, donning their weight belts, and then standing up in the boat as it's speeding toward the dive site. Not me; I won't put on a weight belt until the boat is at idle.

CVChief: You are going overboard again. When would the responsibility stop? Is Mau still responsible for something that Opal's Dream might do tomorrow? I personally have never been in the situation but have observed many soon to be ex-spouses. Most people in the process of divorce have limited influence on each other. Why do you need to connect Opal's incident with Mau? Doesn't Mau seem to have enough explaining to do without have to explain what his ex did?"

Ok - I am a bit bad about using quotes here, so apologies -
CVChief...You are spot on. Even now, after all the statements and clarifications regarding the separate identities of these two dive operations, WSOPFAN seems more than hell bent on trying to muddy the waters and tie the two separate dive shops together. Why?

CVChief you also asked about the park permits - I only stated what I have seen and heard in my own personal experience. I am not educated on the legalities of what you can and can not do with these marine park permits. I was only stating what I have personally heard... so apologies for putting it as FACT.

Can I get a welcome back! The moderators have finished digging into my profile and have determined that I am not a sock puppet! Jen as usual your way off base I'm not Heath.

Ok... Jen, you are correct, Mau had nothing to do with the last accident. He was not part of the Op at that time, He didn't have a dive Op at that time either. No speculation here... Just "fact" as you would say...

Nora was the boat that sunk (though it was re-named)... It was a glass bottom.

Again, happy all are ok.

Dive (... and boat) safely!

Can I get a welcome back! The moderators have finished digging into my profile and have determined that I am not a sock puppet! Jen as usual your way off base I'm not Heath.

If that is the case (which I seriously doubt), you used photos from his facebook page, write exactly like him (even if you use someone else's IP address) and I addressed your post. THE END.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom