Dangers of Barracudas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a company that has a cig testing kit for about $25.

http://www.cigua.com/

I've never used their product nor know anyone who's used it, but they have been around for a while.

I have been diving south florida regularly since 1975 and I have never had a bad cuda encounter. I don't know anyone who has ever been attacked or bit and I know a lot of divers who (in toto) have logged thousands of dives. This includes spearfishermen (unless you are dumb enuf the spear the cuda). The "cuda attack shiny objects ... don't wear rings or jewelry" caution has been around so long it is accepted "fact" in many circles. Yet I have never heard anyone firsthand who has had this problem.

There is a lot of heresay, but where are the documented cases of cuda attacking divers? I think the "big bad cuda" if far more myth than fact.

---Bob

I dove with lots of Barracudas when I was stationed in Panama, in the army and nobody I was with was quote/unquote attacked but the cudas did make several items at grabbing shiny things off people. they just thought it was dinner time but the guys with the close calls learned a valuable lesson about bright shiny watches, rings and worst of all dogtags.

I once grabbed a barracuda with my bare hands underwater, I shook him around a little bit and then I turned him around and looked at him square in the eyes..he knew I wasnt messing around at this point.

I pointed at my camera and then at him and then he knew all I wanted was a nice pic...

little bugger

Hey Jep

Was that once....at band camp ...that you grabbed that baracuda?

LOL

That really happened. I had the pic to prove it, but I got it caught up in a whale sharks mouth while I was taken a picture of these cleaner fish in his mouth...

Jepuskar

is that a cleaner fish in your mouth..or are you just happy to see me?

Jepuskar

i think you may want to know me.....i have special talents...maybe I need to pm you...

hehehehe

Back
Top Bottom