Darwin Awards of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't figure why in the world this guy would need a computer. He isn't paying any attention to what they are telling him, so; just dive a Mickey Mouse watch or an I.D. bracelet and pretend it's a computer. Does just the same in his application. :shakehead:

Yeah, but it does not have the cool factor :crafty:

No thanks to what exactly? Genuinely puzzled by what you mean. But it is late here so might just be me :).

J

It's the "Darwin Awards of Diving", for crying out loud. You trying to come up with reasonable but far-fetch reasons. No Thanks!

Of course he could have failed it for not knowing what an ESA is too. People in glass houses etc.

J

One should be failed for not knowing what an emergency ascent is . . . But specific acronyms? Especially ones that don't even make "AcronymFinder.com"? :lol:

Yeah, but it does not have the cool factor :crafty:

So . . . basically, the computer man carries a bag of computers he pays no attention to just so he can look cool!?!?!?!?

Darwinism at its finest! :coffee:

I guess, don't know why else unless he was so stupid he did not understand what it was telling him.

Wonder if he spends his nights reading through the computer manuals and searching for the 'any key' :)

Said diver is on the boat, fine as can be...

So the Darwin candidate is on the boat “fine as can be” and routinely does this over and over as we know by the big stack of computers. Did you ever stop to think that if you do something over and over again and it comes out OK, that it might be well OK? I have lost track of who does not understand what is going on here. Maybe you are putting too much faith into the box on your wrist.

So the Darwin candidate is on the boat “fine as can be” and routinely does this over and over as we know by the big stack of computers. Did you ever stop to think that if you do something over and over again and it comes out OK, that it might be well OK? I have lost track of who does not understand what is going on here. Maybe you are putting too much faith into the box on your wrist.

Caisson workers used to do what would be the equivalent of very serious decompression dives back in the 19th century without any decompression afterward and they didn't get bent from it more than once in a while. Of course that didn't make it safe. When you're regularly taking those kinds of risks it's just a matter of time before your luck runs out.

My wife and I are both experienced divers. I'm an aerospace engineer. I have reviewed many computers. Reviewed and started writing my own VPM-B software. I have also reviewed many many pages and documents on decompression and decompression models. So after all that research, I hope I understand what the little box on my arm is doing.

So, when I'm diving the most liberal computer on the market, and it says I'm close to deco set on the actual mix I'm diving. And someone else that has done the same profile on air skips about 5-10 minutes of deco with zero conservative factor they have a fair chance of getting bent. Now, the guy was in great shape, fairly young, and made proper accent rates. But its like playing Russian roulette, it will catch him someday.

I know someone that can't walk anymore because he did the same thing day in and day out. Over and over, well one day he screwed up a little bit and took a major hit.

My wife and I are both experienced divers. I'm an aerospace engineer. I have reviewed many computers. Reviewed and started writing my own VPM-B software. I have also reviewed many many pages and documents on decompression and decompression models. So after all that research, I hope I understand what the little box on my arm is doing.

So, when I'm diving the most liberal computer on the market, and it says I'm close to deco set on the actual mix I'm diving. And someone else that has done the same profile on air skips about 5-10 minutes of deco with zero conservative factor they have a fair chance of getting bent. Now, the guy was in great shape, fairly young, and made proper accent rates. But its like playing Russian roulette, it will catch him someday.

I know someone that can't walk anymore because he did the same thing day in and day out. Over and over, well one day he screwed up a little bit and took a major hit.

Very well stated. That last paragraph really stopped me in my tracks. No day of fun diving pushing the limits for several extra minutes of bottom time is worth a lifetime of being crippled. The (or one of the) worst part of being bent is not being able to dive again! I know a guy who had a mild hit and couldn't dive for six months. Thats bad enough for me to know my computor and always have a good mental idea of NDL's on the tables.

At the very least, if you stay within limits you are reducing the nitrogen load stress on your body, which often leads to fatigue even when diving within NDL's. One of my main reasons to do slow ascents and safety stops is to make sure I can stay awake to enjoy the evening post-dive beverages:cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom