Dauin & Siquijor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Another surface interval, after 2 awesome weeks in the Philippines. This time round, I went to explore the Visayans seas of Dauin, the famed Apo Island and a lesser known magical and mystical island, Siquijor, known as the navel of magic and sorcery in the Philippines. Sounds spooky but I was ready to be bewitched!

Joining me for part of the trip in Dauin are Michael and Dear. Our first day was at the well-known Apo Island but I certainly didn't feel that kind of a WOW factor to it. Visibility was pretty poor with lots of floating particles in the water. Beside the huge school of trevallies at Cogon on the first dive, I didn't see much fish life and the corals were not as varied and colorful as I have anticipated. I wondered if all those ultra-positive reviews had unrealistically raised our expectations of these reefs.

Diving Dauin, on the hand was a different story altogether. The dives are mainly muck on white sandy slopes and definitely a macro lover’s paradise.
We stayed at Pura Vida Resort and dived with the Sea Explorers - a very well-organized team. All the dive sites are easily accessible, ranging from a shore entry in front of our resort, to a 5-10 min boat ride or a 5-min jeepney ride. These are protected marine sanctuaries area and some sites are artificial reefs created with car tires and sunken wrecks. Do not ask me more about the dive sites as I had barely made it there. What I saw were the abundance of living treasures on the white sand bed upon entry into the water- frogfishes, ghost-pipe fishes, wonderpus, flamboyant cuttlefish, seahorses ... just to name a few. Also, the sea was full of zillions little transparent shrimps, a rather interesting but at the same time irksome sight, making macro-photography very challenging. At times, testing my Patience..

After a fabulous week in Dauin, I was transported by banca to the enchanted witchcraft island for my stay at Coco Grove Resort. Again, I dived with Sea Explorers and found the team to be very hardworking and eager to please. The dive sites are more varied and consist of slopes, sandy bottom and walls and the whole areas are protected marine sanctuaries. I was the only diver there most of the days so I was privileged to choose when and where I want to dive. I did my first dive at a site called Takot Shoal or the Sunken Island and was already awed by the dazzling display of kaleidoscope of colors & patterns created by the prolific fishlife and coral growths. Needless to elaborate further, the rest of the dives were as good as its Filipinos brew. I was indeed bewitched!!

Philippines is truly a paradise of abundance, graced with people of great hospitality, exuberance, and with a sense of humor. I'll continue to be captivated by the amazing underwater world and can't wait to be back!

Link to my photos on facebook: Jovin Lim's Photos - Little Wonders | Facebook

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

wow! lots of good finds! were all pictures taken in Dauin? I wonder if you remember which sites you saw the rhinopias, hairy frogfish, wonderpus and harlequin shrimps?

Nice report - thank you. I will be in the same area and other in August aboard the Philippine Siren. When I first arrive I will be for 2 days at Pura Vida Resort. I am greatly looking forward to the trip !

Last edited:
wow! lots of good finds! were all pictures taken in Dauin? I wonder if you remember which sites you saw the rhinopias, hairy frogfish, wonderpus and harlequin shrimps?

No, it's a combination from both Dauin & Siquijor.

I did not see a Rhinopias .. it's an Ambon scorpionfish actually. If I remember it correctly, it's on the sandy slope (~15m), on the way to Sarah's Place. Hairy frogfishes are found at the shallow slopes in both the Car wreck and Sarah's Place. The wonderpus is at shallow reef top at San Miguel and the lone harlequin shrimp is hiding under a rock at Sarah's Place (~18m) and the dive guides told me that they will bring starfish and feed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom