DC1400....first uw camera...yes or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heading to Roatan next spring and am on a pretty tight budget...wasn't going to worry about taking pictures since I don't have a camera but I'm having a hard time accepting not coming home with some! I've read around in here and it seems this is a "dummy proof" camera for those who have no experience (me...). I shot with film years and years ago but nothing since then! So....is it really as dummy proof as you say...becuase I'm a little worried about some of the posts about the shutter speed and focusing, and at what depths the pics are taken at etc...
Also....my budget is stretched so tight, i most likely won't be able to afford a strobe for this trip. Is it still worth it or skip it until I can afford the strobe?
Thank you!

I definitely think it's the best camera out there for beginners. And, yes, it is fairly dummy proof. The auto settings usually do a great job, and adjustments are simple to make from there. The slow focal speed is a definite con of the camera, but it's not a deal breaker, IMO. Picture quality will be ten times better with a strobe, no doubt, but the same goes for any camera. Buying the strobe as a package with the camera doesn't save you any money though. The camera runs around $500, and each strobe is another $300 either way you go. So, if you've decided on the DC1400, and you can't spring for the strobes quite yet, you may as well get the camera/housing for now and get some natural light practice in... Better than nothing!

I definitely think it's the best camera out there for beginners. And, yes, it is fairly dummy proof. The auto settings usually do a great job, and adjustments are simple to make from there. The slow focal speed is a definite con of the camera, but it's not a deal breaker, IMO. Picture quality will be ten times better with a strobe, no doubt, but the same goes for any camera. Buying the strobe as a package with the camera doesn't save you any money though. The camera runs around $500, and each strobe is another $300 either way you go. So, if you've decided on the DC1400, and you can't spring for the strobes quite yet, you may as well get the camera/housing for now and get some natural light practice in... Better than nothing!

X2

You will get descent pictures with the camera alone, but much better with some lighting. I use the pro duo setup, one light and one strobe. I have noticed a big difference in the pictures when even one component goes down (batteries in remote caribbean countries are not always easy to find).

These are some of my better shots to date with this setup:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.556699661011679.144314.127018853979764&type=3
(ignore the surface pics, they were a different camera)

It is a good camera for beginners. Easy to learn, Easy to use. It also comes with a flash diffuser, so you can use the internal flash for some pictures. With practice, you can get awesome pics with just the camera.

That said, something to consider is that the you may wish to use a cheaper camera in a housing to get used to handling the seals, practicing your boyancy control, and other related issues. Photography isn't all about the camera.

That said; a 1400 is a good choice, one you won't regret.

I had a DC 600 and wanted to upgrade to the DC 1400 as when the crowd from the dive shop go on trips the cameras they carry are almost all DC 1400s. We share pictures and the results are very good. I wanted more 'keepers'. I found a DC 1400 and video light on eBay for less than the cost of the camera itself. I would not characterize the camera as dummy proof. The more you put into any camera in learning how to use it, the more you will get out of it. You will get good images from the start with minimal investment in learning but a little time learning the camera will improve your results greatly. Roatan is a great place for a camera but you should have a strobe and/or some editing software. Cheapest entry software I have found is Vivid Pix. Simple but it will make significant improvement in you images.

I started with the DC 1400 for underwater photography but was not really satisfied with it. The main problem is the lag time from pressing the shutter button to actual shutter actuation. There are some other very small issues but these are issues that happen with all point and shoot cameras. It will work well for you if you have patience. I was a bit disappointed with the camera but then I was a photojournalist for years and used to DSLR and SLR before that. I now shoot with a UW DSRL but carry my DC 1400 with me especially if I am shooting macro with my nikon.
For the price I am really impressed with the new GoPro 4 and think if that model had been available I would have selected it over the DC 1400.

I had a DC 600 and wanted to upgrade to the DC 1400 as when the crowd from the dive shop go on trips the cameras they carry are almost all DC 1400s. We share pictures and the results are very good. I wanted more 'keepers'. I found a DC 1400 and video light on eBay for less than the cost of the camera itself. I would not characterize the camera as dummy proof. The more you put into any camera in learning how to use it, the more you will get out of it. You will get good images from the start with minimal investment in learning but a little time learning the camera will improve your results greatly. Roatan is a great place for a camera but you should have a strobe and/or some editing software. Cheapest entry software I have found is Vivid Pix. Simple but it will make significant improvement in you images.

Thanks for bringing up Vivid-Pix software. It will do a great job improving SeaLife and other camera pics. AND, we just posted a new version. Free update for folks who have previously purchased and Free 30-day free trial at www.vivid-pix.com. Please give it a try and tell me what you think.

i ended up buying the dc1400 with the dragon flash -- i love it and the pictures usually turn out ok... even at night or down at 100' check out some of the previous posts in regards to shutter lag... 1/2 press 1st to focus helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom