DCS Symptoms 10 days after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I currently have pain in my left leg running from the base of my knee down and into my foot.
I would like to know if the following timeline could indicate a possible DCS related injury:

(all dives were made in a safe manner with slow ascent, safety stop and good profile)

31st January - 2 dives to recreational depths and stayed within NDL. After dives felt some pain in my knee - I concluded that I had twisted my knee.

3rd February - 2 dives to recreational depths and stayed within NDL. Pain in knee remained

4th February - 1 long shallow dive to recreational depth and stayed within NDL. After this dive the pain in my knee worsened to the point where I decided I need a break from diving/strong physical activity for a week or more.

Since the 4th February(+5 days) the pain has gradually worsened, spreading to my shin around the 6th February(+7 days) and now to my foot on the 9th February(+10 days). Over the last couple of days I have been walking as little as possible.

Up until today I had been going on the assumption that this was a knee twist or shin splints but now that it is in my foot I have opened myself up to the idea of a DCS related injury.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I have never heard of symptoms coming on so slowly and over a long period of time.

Recreational depths could be 130 ft so not much info.

Go to a doctor as nobody here can really help. All you will get is advise and NOT treatment when treatment is what is needed.

Thanks for the response.

Max depth during those dives was 30m on the first dive of February 3rd. All other dives were 18m or shallower.

I understand no one can diagnose me over the internet.
I'm hoping for some insight into the usual onset of symptoms for DCS. 10 days seems unusual to me, but I am far from an expert on the matter. Can't seem to find much online or in my own library of dive literature that tells me what happens after the 48 hour mark.

It's unlikely that DCS would manifest that long after your last dive but I would still take the very sound advice and see a doctor.

Seeing a doctor is definitely an option, but would require a ferry ride and overnight accommodation on Koh Samui (neighboring island). A big decision, hence me doing a bit of research first.

Not much faith in the doctor's here, my girlfriend was once told she had a perforated eardrum and to go to Bangkok for treatment. Fortunately after a 3rd opinion we found it was just some tissue paper stuck deep in her ear...

Well, reading your post, it isn't that you started with symptoms 10 days after diving. You had symptoms the day you dove, which have gotten worse with repeated diving. I don't know if this was DCS, but the story you have posted certainly does not rule it out.

I once had a leg ache that I dismissed as a sore muscle, even tho I hadn't been diving or anything else to cause it that I could recall. I tried to ignore it and get ready for a weekend of driving, diving, and other physical endeavors - which I survived, but the pain got worse. Turned out to be a clogged vein. :eek: I know well the feeling of lucky to be among the living.

Can you catch a ferry today and prop your leg up on a carry-on bag? I hope it's nothing, but finding out your way is risky.

do you live there or did you fly there or have you taken a long ride there from a far away place....these things as DandyDon has said may cause circulation problems....consult a professional and keep us informed.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
iamrushman, I do live here on the island.

Since waking up today the pain has decreased massively, almost unnoticeable now. Still considering a boat trip to the doctor, will wait and see how the rest of the day goes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom