Dcs & Then Some

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should get tested for a PFO, my wife had a breast bend almost two years ago and it was probably caused by a PFO. Two of our friends are hyperbaric doctors and advise that this is a very common cause of breast (and skin) DCS.

You should get tested for a PFO, my wife had a breast bend almost two years ago and it was probably caused by a PFO. Two of our friends are hyperbaric doctors and advise that this is a very common cause of breast (and skin) DCS.
I would have, but did not think about it at that time.

OK, here goes a try on the profile,...

Thanks for posting. You can also export the dive to a CSV file and then pull it into Excel.....shows the time, depth, NDL, etc for the individual data points.

I would have, but did not think about it at that time.
Any reasonable sized hospital should be able to do this testing. There is both an invasive and non-invasive version of the test IIRC, they both rely on a electrocardiogram ultrasound.

Any reasonable sized hospital should be able to do this testing. There is both an invasive and non-invasive version of the test IIRC, they both rely on a electrocardiogram ultrasound.
Not that they could not,.... I just did not think to ask (I had something else on my mind at the time)

Glad to here you're recovering.... But I'm a little curious, why/how do just the boobs take a hit? Are they more prone to this? Setting the diabetes aside, when women take a hit is that usually the first sign of DCS for them.

Thank you so much for posting this Tammy, and best wishes for a speedy and safe recovery.

On a second note this is the first time I've ever heard of bent boobs, again thanks, i don't know that I would have known the significance without your post.

Did a 123 min. CCR Dive in Ginnie Springs on Tues. By Tues night, I had considerable swelling in my "girls":rolleyes:. Wed morning the "girls" were considerably more swollen. Called DAN & was told to get to the Valdosta hospital. I wound up taking a 5 hr schedule 6 chamber ride. While doing labs for the chamber, it was found that I am diabetic. It runs heavy in my family,.... It was only a matter of time. Bad news, was needed to be known. Dr. Thinks hit was from dehydration due to the diabetes. Look like some serious lifestyle changes are in the future.

@tstormdiver - Tammy, be sure you mention the diabetes to your optometrist. Macular degeneration risk is MUCH higher in diabetics, and your optometrist should be monitoring you.

Hi Tammy,

I would strongly suggest getting checked for a PFO when you have the chance. There are three tests for the PFO:

1. TCD - Trans-Cranial Doppler -- this is supposed to be the "gold standard" for detection, but does nothing for determining size.

2. TTE - Trans-Thoracic Echocardiogram - Also known as a "bubble study." Aside from being injected with a saline solution, it is non-invasive and takes only a few minutes. Supposedly this one is not very effective at picking them up, but it detected mine.

3. TEE - Trans-Esophagial Echocardiogram - This used to be the "gold standard" but I can tell you that the two times I've had it done, I tested negative.

I wrote up a little article about my experiences with decompression sickness, detection of a PFO, and ultimately the surgical closure of a PFO. Maybe some of my experiences will help you out.

Mending a broken heart (or how I found out I had a PFO) – Dive Gainesville

Best of luck,

Ken

3. TEE - Trans-Esophagial Echocardiogram - This used to be the "gold standard" but I can tell you that the two times I've had it done, I tested negative.
Ken, your killing me here. After a positive TTE bubble study and multiple events despite diving conservatively I finally broke down and went to an Interventional Cardiologist to get the D*# n thing closed. He was skeptical of the risk/benefit ratio but after a long conversation I had him convinced. Of course he wanted his own TTE to further document and aid in getting insurance coverage but ok I had expected that. No PFO on the TTE so all plans for surgery gone. I had hoped that the positive TEE was just operator error or some such since the TTE is as you said the gold standard.

A brief update:
I was completely over the DCS hit within a couple days. It just took a couple days for the remaining swelling & tenderness to abate. I just found a Dr that could take me in within a reasonable amount of time (most places I called could not get me in until late July/ early Aug). I had my 1st apt the other day & it went well. Had some blood work done yesterday & should find the results of the tests when I go back in on Fri. From there the Dr & I will form a battle plan to get the management going quickly. In the meantime, I have been taking the Meds prescribed to me by the ER Dr & testing myself before/ after every meal. My numbers have come down significantly, but are still a bit too high,... probably just need an adjustment of the meds. I have nearly completely changed my diet & while it has not killed me,... it has not been easy. I went cold turkey on the sodas (non diet), as soon as I got out of the hospital,..... that has been the hardest part. I was more than hooked on them & looking back was drinking waaaaay more than I ever should have been. Overall, things are looking on the up & up. Overall it has not slowed me down too much.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom