Dead Coral - Hin Daeng and Ko Ha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case you were wondering the answer was cold water being forced up from the deeper parts of the indian ocean probably caused by seismic activity!

Ian Shaw

Reefcheck Thailand

ianto200:
In case you were wondering the answer was cold water being forced up from the deeper parts of the indian ocean probably caused by seismic activity!

Ian Shaw

Reefcheck Thailand
Hmm...how about contacting someone at NOAA/USGS to see if they have any ideas about this.

The Andaman trench is a fairly active seismatic area, so that might be a cause. There have been reports of not before seen fish showing up around the Similans, and as I recall something similar happened about 10 years ago (i.e. upwelling of cold water from the Andaman trench).

And of course you surely know about the extra cold (for Thailand) thermoclines this year.

Mucho thanks for the update.

Does this all mean that the warm orange sludge we had for months in a row reducing visibility to 1 meter (3 feet) no impact had on the reefs?
Also, did anyone notice the icredible increase of small barnacles all over the reefs this season?

It looks like the situation has improved drastically. I have not checked it myself yet, but I've heard from others that the corals are recuperating fast, and all the fishlife is back to normal.

I remember strange cold water currents and very, very low visibilty in december 1997 in the Similan Islands. I always though it was connected in some way to the El Nino a few months later. Perhaps that was related to techtonic plates moving? Will be spending a month on Lanta in january 2008, so hearing that fish activity seems to be back to normal is very encouraging. Would be very interested in more first hand reports from Hin Moang and Hin Daeng.

/christian

Attachments

• hammerhead200kb.jpg
    hammerhead200kb.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 45
  • fan200kb.jpg
    fan200kb.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 43
  • wall200kb.jpg
    wall200kb.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 52
If anyone heads out there in the low season, it would be nice to hear how things look now. Bit too wet and windy right now, ... I spoke to the manager of Phi Phi Scuba who said they're not going until high season, but the last trips they did a couple of months ago things looked better.

I was considering to check out the place in mid Oct ,after last year's terrible environmental behaviour.

Same goes for Similans.

When the season starts it would be great to get an update.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom