Dead Horse Threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always found these forums to be an extended way to conversate with other divers. Conversations tend to wander, often into more appropriate and more interesting subjects than what was the original intent.

Let them run their own course.

If me and my friends were having a conversation, and someone tried to keep us 'on topic', we would not be happy.

This is recreation, we're not at work or at school. Let us talk.

Alrighty, looks like the consensus of those with an opinion is to let it run. We'll stick with that. :)

I always found these forums to be an extended way to conversate with other divers. Conversations tend to wander, often into more appropriate and more interesting subjects than what was the original intent.

Let them run their own course.

If me and my friends were having a conversation, and someone tried to keep us 'on topic', we would not be happy.

This is recreation, we're not at work or at school. Let us talk.

I think for the most part I feel this way too, and my postings on various forums reflect that thinking.... but if I put my Devil's Advocate hat on.... having rambling topics makes it difficult to search for relevant information on a thread. However, if the primary purpose of the thread/forum is considered to be for the "here and now" rather than archival information purposes, then my vote is to let it run. "Letting it run" can promote more "community" feeling, but will annoy the Type-A "direct to the point" participants... possible driving them off...

well, if something's that good, maybe we archive it? pull the relevant parts from the thread & make it searchable?

Can't please everyone :) The Type-As don't have to continue clicking on threads if they don't want.

Nothing that says the title can't be editted to reflect changing subjects, or include them, anyway. Offsets any search issues.

I think for the most part I feel this way too, and my postings on various forums reflect that thinking.... but if I put my Devil's Advocate hat on.... having rambling topics makes it difficult to search for relevant information on a thread. However, if the primary purpose of the thread/forum is considered to be for the "here and now" rather than archival information purposes, then my vote is to let it run. "Letting it run" can promote more "community" feeling, but will annoy the Type-A "direct to the point" participants... possible driving them off...

SB has never had a "use the search function" mentality. We go over the same or similar topics routinely. Since threads here are not an archive I say let them run.

TDS had a "use the search" type of attitude. As the founders moved on, content declined and when a topic was started the OP was referred to 5yo answers by members who didn't post much anymore. There's still some great stuff over there but its from the lively discussions of the past and gradually becoming dated. The archival attitude is a recipe for a dead, static community.

well, i'd win the pissing contest. i'd pee where people might walk one day & he'd give up in disgust. :D

Never argue with a woman who uses duct tape to keep her She-P in place ... :shocked:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom