Dead Horse Threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Richard. The database of available information on a board varies as people come and go; just because a topic has been discussed before, doesn't mean that everything of value has been said about it. Old discussions, especially good ones, are excellent to reference into a current thread, but more on the lines of, "This is what we said before, what new and different information do we have now?" rather than, "This is the definitive discussion on this point. Read, and forever hold your peace."

I personally have learned really valuable things from repeatedly discussed topics, as new people come to the board and offer their insights.

SB has never had a "use the search function" mentality. We go over the same or similar topics routinely. Since threads here are not an archive I say let them run.

TDS had a "use the search" type of attitude. As the founders moved on, content declined and when a topic was started the OP was referred to 5yo answers by members who didn't post much anymore. There's still some great stuff over there but its from the lively discussions of the past and gradually becoming dated. The archival attitude is a recipe for a dead, static community.

I don't peruse the main forums here much anymore, but back in the day when I was more active on SB (2002-2005), the "use the search" attitude was fairly prevalent, but maybe that crowd moved over to TDS around that timeframe... LOL

Glad to hear it's changed. It's hard to have a discussion with an archived thread, especially in anyway that seems relevant or participatory to the person seeking the information. I say "re-hash away"!!! Those that get tired of repeating the same things they did in previous threads can just skip over them. There's certainly value in getting referred back to a previous thread for more information, as long as it doesn't become a mantra and supplant the current conversations.

We are all at a different point on the continuum of learning and participation, so talking about something again with new people and experiences can be a good thing... and does promote a more active community.

It's hard to have a discussion with an archived thread, especially in anyway that seems relevant or participatory to the person seeking the information.

Especially when ... as I've noticed more and more as time passes ... the people who wrote those things have either dropped off the board, quit diving, or died ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't peruse the main forums here much anymore, but back in the day when I was more active on SB (2002-2005), the "use the search" attitude was fairly prevalent, but maybe that crowd moved over to TDS around that timeframe... LOL

Glad to hear it's changed. It's hard to have a discussion with an archived thread, especially in anyway that seems relevant or participatory to the person seeking the information. I say "re-hash away"!!! Those that get tired of repeating the same things they did in previous threads can just skip over them. There's certainly value in getting referred back to a previous thread for more information, as long as it doesn't become a mantra and supplant the current conversations.

We are all at a different point on the continuum of learning and participation, so talking about something again with new people and experiences can be a good thing... and does promote a more active community.

Welcome back Bob. :)

Not good idea to take advice from dead divers. :chuckle:

Some of them were very good divers, and worth listening to ... but they'd not make very good conversationalists for someone coming into the discussion today ... which was my point ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom