Dealing with rough/sharp edges on webbing and straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doing damage is what i am worried about, i have never tried wire brushing the burnt edge. they are pretty hard how much does the wire brush smooth them out. I guess i could try some sandpaper as well.

A8...

Wire brushing the tip of the soldering gun to clean it...not wire brushing the webbing...

W.

Not that this is a solution but its one of the biggest problems. Make sure to leave enough loose webbing that its less likely to be rigid and when it rakes across something it will not be stiff and rigid. A short piece with a crisp edge will do more damage than a loose piece. A 4 to 6” piece of webbing flopping around will do less harm.

Not that this is a solution but its one of the biggest problems. Make sure to leave enough loose webbing that its less likely to be rigid and when it rakes across something it will not be stiff and rigid. A short piece with a crisp edge will do more damage than a loose piece. A 4 to 6” piece of webbing flopping around will do less harm.

L...

Correct to a point...once you're loaded with doubles...be it side-mount...or back-mounted...plus slinging bottles...there's not much left that's loose...

Best...

Warren

I've been trying to solve this problem for eons it seems. I would love to find a 55mm or 60mm half round punch. I can find 50mm, but that's just shy for a 2" belt. :(

I point back to Post # 3 in this thread. Buy a can of Plasti-Dip...dip the last couple of inches of your webbing in the can a few times to buildup a protective layer, let cure, and then go dive. Easy day.

-Z

Buy a can of Plasti-Dip
I find that it doesn't work for me at all. It makes it too thick and thus hard to work with. But if it works for you, dive and let dive.

What about having the ends sewn on a serger with a soft thread. If you don’t know what a serger is its a sewing machine that leaves those finished edges on seams the thread wraps over the edge. It can be set up with a tight stitch. If you have a larger fabric shop many do sewing. Would be very cheap and fast. I have a serger was about $175 there pretty common so I’m sure you could find somone to do this for you.

What about having the ends sewn on a serger with a soft thread.
Again, it would be too thick for my purposes. I don't want to increase the thickness one whit. It might get through the buckle, but if you have to thread it through triglides, it would be almost impossible.

The simplest way is to just smooth out the hot plastic with just about anything that doesn't have flesh on it ( that's right, don't use the little buddy). The smoothed -out-part will outlast the harness and be around somewhere for thousands of years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom