Death at Blue Springs State Park, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon_R

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Scuba diver dies at Blue Springs State Park, deputies say | News - Home

Just saw it on the news. No inside information.

One went to the chamber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added October 10th, 2013 at 08:05 AM ----------

Another Article.

Diver killed, another hurt at Blue Spring State Park | www.wftv.com

Officials said the man, 36-year-old Samuel Slack from Edgewater, was taken to Florida Hospital Fish Memorial where he was pronounced dead at 3:43 p.m.
The victim's diving partner, 37-year-old Daniel Vansickle from New Smyrna Beach, was taken to Florida Hospital Orlando for treatment.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
NO details from the survivor, most likely will not hear anything but rumors. I suspect both were OW and there is not likely to be a follow store in the paper or Wesh, as it is already off the main page and 5 stories down on the Volusia widget.

I'll request the police report in a couple of days. Perhaps max depth on a computer was listed or survivor made a police statement.

Been following this on the other forum... Sad to hear :(
I hope we can find out what happened in order to better educate divers at this site.

Does anyone here know either one of these two divers?

I would be interested in their certification levels.

Maybe that data will be in the police report?

[h=1]Details released in Blue Spring State Park diver's death[/h]View Larger

Blue Spring

ORANGE CITY, Fla. —
More details have been released after a man was killed in a diving accident at Blue Spring State Park in Orange City on Wednesday.
Officials said the man, 36-year-old Samuel Slack, of New Smyrna Beach, was taken to Florida Hospital Fish Memorial where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
The victim's diving partner, 37-year-old Daniel Vansickle, also of New Smyrna Beach, was taken to Florida Hospital Orlando for treatment.
Authorities said Slack was diving 80 feet underwater when Vansickle saw him motioning that he had no air.
Vansickle, who has been diving for three years, gave Slack air from his own regulator, but he told deputies he had to pull away from Slack when Slack wouldn't release it.
Vansickle left his diving partner, surfaced and called to a maintenance worker for help.
Vansickle told deputies he descended back down 100 feet in an effort to save Slack. He inflated a buoyancy compensator that helped float Slack to the surface.
Deputies said Vansickle and an employee tried to revive Slack and rescue crews performed CPR, but it wasn’t enough to save Slack.
Officials said Slack had only been diving for one year.
Detectives are still investigating the circumstances surrounding Slack's death.

Details released in Blue Spring State Park diver's death | www.wftv.com

Wow! Where was his alternate????

Wow! Where was his alternate????

Yeah wonder about that. Buddy breathing on one reg as a drill in a pool at 6 feet is one thing... Don't ever want to have to do that for real.

Tough on the survivor. Maybe bad equipment decision then having to break away from his buddy leaving him with no air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom