Death in Lombok Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BubbleBubble7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I understand that a very experienced dive professional passed away due to DCS II near Bali this weekend. Is anybody familiar with what happened here? I understand there is a chamber nearby. Particularly worrying as I feel I've been seeing a lot of stories of deaths in Indonesia lately.

A lot? What are the others? I read about a Singaporean lady lost at sea in Komodo early this month & that's it.

Alizee Baurin French Female instructor at Gili T - type 2 DCS

Its seems unexpected that an experienced instructor would take a DCS hit severe enough to cause death with a chamber nearby. I wonder if there were other circumstances like an upwelling, equipment issue etc. that forced an emergency?

Not sure sorry - a video tribute to Alizee was posted earlier in a women's divers Fb group. That is all the info I have.

Its seems unexpected that an experienced instructor would take a DCS hit severe enough to cause death with a chamber nearby. I wonder if there were other circumstances like an upwelling, equipment issue etc. that forced an emergency?

With all due respect, do you really think being an instructor, even at the highest levels, makes one immune from DCS? If so, then you are very naive, no offence meant. Just like Dr's, instructors are neither God nor infalible (although some, and I repeat only 'some', think they are).

And depending of the severity of the hit, the term 'nearby' (as in chamber) is a very broad term with regards treatment response time.

That being said, I do not know the deceased person and mean no disrespect to her whatsoever, nor is my post directed to / at her in any way, I am just responding re the wording of your post BB7. As a matter of fact I send heartfelt condolences to her family and friends, as I too have lost close friends myself in the underwater world we visit.

Last edited:
With all due respect, do you really think being an instructor, even at the highest levels, makes one immune from DCS? If so, then you are very naive, no offence meant. Just like Dr's, instructors are not God (although some, and I repeat only 'some', think they are).

And depending of the severity of the hit, the term 'close' (as in chamber) is a very broad term with regards treatment response time.

That being said, I do not know the deceased person and cast no aspirations on her, as matter of fact I send heartfelt condolences to her family and friends, as I too have lost close friends myself in the underwater world we visit.

Welcome to Scubaboard. I think storm is coming.

One thing I know about Lombok, particularly Lombok Strait, it is known for the fierce current passing through 2 oceans (Indian & Pacific), as described here: Indonesian Throughflow | Where the oceans meet A few boats sunk going at the wrong time. This could happen to diver going at the wrong time too.

A popular dive site called Crystal Bay is known for down current. There were 2 divers dead a couple days before I went there. Another diving fatality in Crystal Bay - Scuba Diving & Related News - ScubaSG

Indonesian-Throughflow_700[1].gif

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom