Death rate for experienced scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, from reading the case reports, it seems like many deaths were due to inadequate training, not being familiar with the equipment being used.
Diving at night with only one light, using a brand new BCD that you do not know how to inflate/ditch the we

In reading the reports, was there any discussion or indication of the experience lever of the diver?

Bob

I

The three leading modifiable causes of death and disabling injuries were again cardiac events, insufficient gas and arterial gas embolism. That more than half of all recreational diving fatalities were aged 50 or over highlights the importance of maintaining fitness to dive as divers age. High blood pressure and heart disease were the most common pre-existing health conditions known among 2014 diving fatalities, and obesity was more common at 51% than found in the general living population at 35%. It may not be unreasonable to speculate that older, heavier divers with pre-existing heart or blood-pressure conditions are at elevated risk of dying while scuba diving, compared with younger, healthier divers.

Also, from reading the case reports, it seems like many deaths were due to inadequate training, not being familiar with the equipment being used.
Diving at night with only one light, using a brand new BCD that you do not know how to inflate/ditch the weights, etc.

I find it interesting that the obesity rate is higher among divers than among the general population. When I started diving it was considered a sport for the physically fit. Maybe it still is, judging from some of the statistics.

Here are some statistics relating specifically to cave diving. http://www.iucrr.org/fatalities.pdf

Why are you asking?
According to these statistics, the vast majority of fatalities involved members of a buddy pair, yet the dive community is still quite anti solo diving. The statistics just dont support all of the hate against going solo.

The vast majority of dives are also in buddy pairs and not solo.
I would like to see a study done on why the dive buddy was not able to successfully intervene in these fatalities. I figure many of these deaths are either due to a health event or a buddy pair of equally deficient dive experience. In both cases, having a buddy around would be of little use.

I would like to see a study done on why the dive buddy was not able to successfully intervene in these fatalities. I figure many of these deaths are either due to a health event or a buddy pair of equally deficient dive experience. In both cases, having a buddy around would be of little use.
You should read the BSAC incident reports. They generally contain stuff like that. One common factor is separation, so dives start out with a ‘team’ but the victim is not with a buddy at the end.

According to these statistics, the vast majority of fatalities involved members of a buddy pair, yet the dive community is still quite anti solo diving. The statistics just dont support all of the hate against going solo.
The overwhelming majority of people who die in Germany each year are Germans. It does not mean that it is safer to be a non-German in Germany.

I find it interesting that the obesity rate is higher among divers than among the general population. When I started diving it was considered a sport for the physically fit. Maybe it still is, judging from some of the statistics.
It may or may not be true that the (total, livibg) scuba diving populus has a higher obesity rate than the general population***.
The way I read it this report was however not reporting that. It was reporting that amongst the dive fatalities the obesity rate is higher than that of the general population.
Being too heavy myself I definitely read that like "go and do something about it".

*** Funny thing is, my (tiny) wife recently started diving and literally observed (in private...
warning, politically incorrect ...
... in her unassuming way:
Are you shure diving is good for you (speaking to me)? There are so many big people... It seems like (she said) a much higher percentage than normal (meaning at other activities we do)....
She went on to express sincere concern about if I am doing the right thing being a diverbin genetal and what thev likelihood is of me loosing weight if the sport I like most is done by so many heavy people. Her concern was that diving might allow me to rationalize that I am just fine with my weight issue as it is not really a big hindrance to diving... She does have a way of getting to me that way...

Anyway, I am not going to stop diving.
And I certainly need to do something else to get into better shape. Diving in itself (the gist of her point) is not doing that. But it sure gives me and others I know yet another pretty good reason to do something about our weight. It is quite helpful added motivation.

The overwhelming majority of people who die in Germany each year are Germans. It does not mean that it is safer to be a non-German in Germany.
:wink:
So, since I am German and am a German driver, but do most of my diving and driving in America, I am, despite being overweight, such a small part of the statistics there, that I practically can't die... as long as I do not dive or drive in Germany ... right? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom