Deaths at Eagles Nest - Homosassa FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to see some info on what size tanks they had, what was in the tanks, condition of the line @233', and maybe a depth/time graph from their computers. I think you could really piece together the details with that info.

I think a reasonable narrative for what happened to these two could serve as a great lesson for why people need specialized training (from a professional) before cave diving.

The old saying "You don't know what you don't know" is really in play here. People who are reading this thread who do not have such training are left with a knowledge that people are saying the two did not have proper training without a good sense of why that matters. They have no idea how many very specific things were terribly wrong with this dive when viewed by people who do have this training.

55.8 meters on Air in a cave is madness.

Can't find this Cave Atlas forum.

Do you have a link to the posts (or directions thereto)?

Agreed. Its ridiculous. Deep air in a cave is just looney.

caveatlas.com Its a great website and a hell of a resource.

The old saying "You don't know what you don't know" is really in play here. People who are reading this thread who do not have such training are left with a knowledge that people are saying the two did not have proper training without a good sense of why that matters. They have no idea how many very specific things were terribly wrong with this dive when viewed by people who do have this training.

John, I doubt that is correct here. Isn't there a large sign driving into the site that mentions the dangers?

Is there an underwater sign with a grim reaper near the chimney entrance?

In my world, that is more than adequate warning.

Agreed. Its ridiculous. Deep air in a cave is just looney.

caveatlas.com Its a great website and a hell of a resource.

Dillon: "Great dive, no specs in the way. Way better than a few weeks ago and seen a lil bass fish at 120'. Hit 186' max , was able to see line pretty good. Worth the 30min drive for sure, AWESOME DAY,!!"

Scary, and people (trained cave divers and pros) knew he was doing this and posting it as well in Cave forums/websites - and only after he dies make all the fuzz and noise on the internet.

John, I doubt that is correct here. Isn't there a large sign driving into the site that mentions the dangers?

Is there an underwater sign with a grim reaper near the chimney entrance?

In my world, that is more than adequate warning.

That's not what I said.

People who are reading this and seeing that people with proper training are saying they were diving beyond their training without having any idea what that means. In the beginning of this thread there were posts by someone who frequently posts in cave diving discussions, arguing that the training is not needed. Those posts were deleted by the moderating staff. The two deceased divers obviously did not think it was necessary.

In contrast, people who do have that training know more than the "don't dive beyond your training" mantra. They know what specific things were done that no properly trained diver would do. They know what would have been different if they had had the training they lacked.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2013 at 12:35 PM ----------

I think he was a Master Scuba Diver with 5 more dives than you.

Do you have a source for this? All the other information I have encountered said he had open water certification. Of course, in the loosest sense of the term, Master Scuba Diver is an open water certification, so it may not have been meant literally.

Interesting link. So it wasn't just that the 15 year old kid wasn't certified, he couldn't have been cave certified at the proper level at his age.

A 15 yr. old would not be mature enough to dive in a cave independently.

Accompanied by his Dad, and cave trained/certified (both), maybe, but not set loose with friends or "buddies."

Some instructors would teach 15 yr. old kids cave diving.

Dillon: "Great dive, no specs in the way. Way better than a few weeks ago and seen a lil bass fish at 120'. Hit 186' max , was able to see line pretty good. Worth the 30min drive for sure, AWESOME DAY,!!"

Scary, and people (trained cave divers and pros) knew he was doing this and posting it as well in Cave forums/websites - and only after he dies make all the fuzz and noise on the internet.

Curious as to what forums he was posting? I know he had the above post but that gives no initial indication of his age or lack of cert. level. Thanks.

Please do get trained!

My instructor & I have discussed going to Florida this summer to take Cavern & possibly Cave I together. I want to finish my rebreather training and my instructor certification first so I can concentrate properly on the course, I think it's important to respect this kind of training and be properly prepared mentally.

The closest I'll be coming to overhead environments without training & certification is Blue Grotto, and that's just for rebreather training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom