Deaths at Eagles Nest - Homosassa FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, if these were cave trained divers, we'd also be strongly speculating of the possibility of bad gas (contaminated Gas/bad mix) given that both died on the same dive and taking into account the circumstances.

Has this hypothesis (bad gas) been ruled out?

They were out of air. They had been sharing air, with Dillon his father's long hose. They would have run out of air at the same time, apparently just barely before they reached the bottles they had left at the top of the mound. Dillon was apparently positively buoyant when they died, for he was found on the ceiling. His father was on the floor beneath him, having lost buoyancy upon death (which is more often the case).

BTW, having looked at the picture of the two of them once again, I see the bottle the father is holding is marked "130." If he is accurately using that labeling to mean the MOD of the tank, and if he is using the 1.6 standard for decompression (which is the practice of most tech divers), then that would mean it contained EANx 32. It would also mean that they were accustomed to using EANx 32 as a gas for accelerated deco. That means they have probably gone deep into the cave before.

Here is some fresh irony for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVhE9Zorxa8

Look at the second comment from Lavion45
"You are clearly not trained for this. You're not suppose to use your hands, your legs is what does the work. You will over exert yourself. You give us divers bad rep by doing that."

Lavion45 is Dillon Sanchez
You can click through to his name and watch the homemade tattoo gun video. Towards the end of the video there is a clear shot of his doubles and the 130 marked deco bottle his dad is holding in that photo.

Apparently he knew you were supposed to be trained,but I guess he thought his dad "trained" him.

Look at the second comment from Lavion45
"You are clearly not trained for this. You're not suppose to use your hands, your legs is what does the work. You will over exert yourself. You give us divers bad rep by doing that."

"Dead man talking..."

They were out of air. They had been sharing air, with Dillon his father's long hose. They would have run out of air at the same time, apparently just barely before they reached the bottles they had left at the top of the mound. Dillon was apparently positively buoyant when they died, for he was found on the ceiling. His father was on the floor beneath him, having lost buoyancy upon death (which is more often the case).

BTW, having looked at the picture of the two of them once again, I see the bottle the father is holding is marked "130." If he is accurately using that labeling to mean the MOD of the tank, and if he is using the 1.6 standard for decompression (which is the practice of most tech divers), then that would mean it contained EANx 32. It would also mean that they were accustomed to using EANx 32 as a gas for accelerated deco. That means they have probably gone deep into the cave before.

Do we know for sure they were found dead with empty tanks with them?

You misunderstand. All this indignation has little to do with saving lives. It is almost entirely about certified cave divers retaining access to "their" caves.

It is not "Their" or "our" caves,... it is the privilege (not the right) to dive these caves. It took the cave diving community years of hard work to get Eagles Nest opened up to cave divers. Now the careless actions of others is threatening to shut it back down. It is society's solution that 1 size fits all. It punishes those who took the time & spent the money to get the training, follow the rules & have the right mentality to dive these caves.

I disagree fully with the contention that "all" the indignation is about maintaining access to the caves. I fully believe most of it is an appropriate reaction to a needless death. On the other hand, that element is a part of it, and Tammy's response is accurate.

I don't understand why cave diving is different from other activities that are well known to be dangerous.

I live in Boulder, Colorado, where we have many superb rock climbing sites. Many of our residents were first class climbers before they moved here because of the easy access to great climbing sites. Many non-climbers like to go to the nearby canyons to picnic and watch these climbing experts at work. Unfortunately, the allure of climbing also brings people who do not have appropriate training and experience to some of these sites, and every year some of them fall to their deaths. Yet, we never hear anyone calling for these great climbing sites to be closed when that happens. Everyone feels it is a tragedy when an untrained climber dies, but they recognize that the fault lies with the climber, not the climb.

But when an untrained diver enters a cave and dies, there is frequently a call to close the cave, and frequently that call is heeded. It was done at Eagles Nest in the past, and some are calling for it to be done again. Because of some deaths years ago, one of the cave entrances at Ginnie Springs has a permanent grate over it so no one can get into it. The cave entrance at Morrison Springs, Florida, was dynamited by the sheriff after one person died in it. The cave entrance at the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico, was filled with boulders and covered with a grate so it could not be entered after a death there. Possibly the very best cave diving site in Florida, a huge system, is closed to everyone except a specific group of divers that has talked the state into giving them exclusive rights to dive it.

So the threat of closure is very real. Those of us who have worked hard to get our training so that we have the necessary skills and equipment to visit these magnificent sites safely do indeed get a bit peeved when people who do not bother to be properly trained or equipped ruin it all for us.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2013 at 11:10 AM ----------

Yes. It was in the initial report.

Yes. It was in the initial report.

I found this in a news article: "One of the recovery cave divers that recovered the bodies said off camera it looked like the father and son ran out of air."

Is this what you mean by "initial report" - or is there actually some kind of official confirmation/report the tanks found with the divers were 100% empty?

There are reports by Dillon on CaveAtlas for Eagles Nest stating that he had gone to 186' and 134' in the cave. Certainly wasn't their first time doing this.

I would like to see some info on what size tanks they had, what was in the tanks, condition of the line @233', and maybe a depth/time graph from their computers. I think you could really piece together the details with that info.

I think a reasonable narrative for what happened to these two could serve as a great lesson for why people need specialized training (from a professional) before cave diving.

I found this in a news article: "One of the recovery cave divers that recovered the bodies said off camera it looked like the father and son ran out of air."

Is this what you mean by "initial report" - or is there actually some kind of official confirmation/report the tanks found with the divers were 100% empty?

I have read quite a few reports, and there is active participation by one of the recovery divers on another forum. I don't remember where I read it first. It was detailed to the point of identifying the father's long hose as the one that had been deployed.

There are reports by Dillon on CaveAtlas for Eagles Nest stating that he had gone to 186' and 134' in the cave. Certainly wasn't their first time doing this.

I would like to see some info on what size tanks they had, what was in the tanks, condition of the line @233', and maybe a depth/time graph from their computers. I think you could really piece together the details with that info.

I think a reasonable narrative for what happened to these two could serve as a great lesson for why people need specialized training (from a professional) before cave diving.

55.8 meters on Air in a cave is madness.

Can't find this Cave Atlas forum.

Do you have a link to the posts (or directions thereto)?

The son was apparently not certified but was the father also a certified diver? If he was, what agency and what level?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom