DEATHS IN FLORIDA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think we should make a complete section of the board about coroners, deaths and accidents.

It would be a huge information directory of things to avoid when scubadiving, dont you think?

Hello DevilTron, welcome to the boards... and Yes I do agree with you. As sad as it may be that we have enough material to place into such a file, it does look like we can all benefit from other divers misfortune.

DevilTron, I think it would be a great idea. Pilots are trained to evaluate accidents so they can avoid making the mistake the other guy made. In the process they become better pilots. Why not apply this to divers? What do you think? Scuba Bob

I didn't mean for it to sound like it was the caves fault the two guys died. I totally agree that they should not have been in the cave in the first place. From what I've heard from other local divers that the instructor did not encourage them to enter the cave. If the instructor did give them a light I'm sure it wasn't to explore the cave. On one side of the sink there is a wall with very small caverns ( too small to enter ), but they are too dark to see into. At this time of the year there are a couple of thousand baby catfish in the holes and crevices. I'm sure that is what the light was origionally used for. Again from what I've read and heard locally the youngest diver had finished his OW Cert that morning and was diving not under the supervision of the instructor anymore. Two people, I believe the instructor and his 12 year old son saw them go into the cave and tried to go after them to stop the men, but they went too far before he could stop them. When they didn't come out of the cave after afew minutes, the man and his son surfaced and immediately called 911. Correct if I have the facts all fouled up. That's what is being said locally.

Madder_Than_Hell,

I am by no means an expert in the area of cave diving, but so far in my training there are a few things that I have learned. When the ambient light disappears, it is no longer a cavern, it then becomes a cave. That's why in most of the regulated springs in Fla. will not let O/W divers carry lights. "A diver won't go where he can't see", same as in the Bonne Terre Mines. They have a light restriction, keeps everybody together.

"Accident and Deaths Forum", a great idea, just like "The Last Dive" should be required reading.

ID

Well I'm happy my suggestion was received quite well. :)

Since my teacher was a coroner, he always had many stories to tell about what NOT to do in this and this circomstance. That's why I suggested the idea.

Ciao around!

DevilTron alias Mathieu Proulx
Québec, Canada

Please, please note that a "cavern" can become a "cave" in about half a heartbeat - all it takes is a little silt or entrapment. Two were lost last year in the "cavern" areas of Vortex and Morrison - both OW divers recently certified. If you cannot ascend directly to the surface you have no business being there without overhead environment training. Just don't do it.
Rick

I'm a Gainesville resident until I finish school, and this is cave country. My instructors are cave maniacs that often fraternize with GUE instructors, and they are always on us about not ever ever even thinking about sticking our head in a cave without proper training. I agree that all courses, especially up here, should include some sort of literature or presentation on cave or even cavern dangers. Just today I had a dive at Paradise springs, nice spring, but to call it open water is, I think, a little sketchy. Paradise springs for those of you not familiar is a hole basically, about 15ft across, and 100ft down on a rather steep slope with plenty of over head. I'd say its about 200ft from the 100ft cave entrabce to the opening. It was a nice dive but still a little intimidating for an open water diver. There is a line, and you are allowed to take lights in, but it silts up rather quickly. Well just my $.02.

I take back what I said about the instructor. If he didn't lead them into the cave or encourage them to enter it, then I don't think you can blame him. Giving them a light is a long ways from leading them into the cave, in my view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom