December 2017 Scubaboard Microsurge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW: If you guys have fairly good air consumption rates it's fun to dive the double reef system and the Hilma Hooker in the same dive.

Option #1: Enter at The Lake, dive out across the sand channel to the outer reef, turn south and dive on the outer reef for 25 minutes or so, turn back towards shore and cross the sand channel over the Hilma Hooker, and then dive north along the inner reef until you return to where you started at The Lake.

Option #2: Dive a similar pattern, only this time clockwise, starting at Angel City, out over the channel to the outer reef, then north, then coming back over the channel and the Hooker again. Personally this one is my favorite because the outer reef is a bit shallower than further north near The Lake.

For either dive the trick is not to dive too deep when crossing the sand channel or exploring the outer reef. We usually try to stay around 50' or so crossing the channel and no deeper than 60' to 70' on the outer reef. We usually cross back over the channel to the Hooker when the top of the outer reef drops to 70' or so.

(Apologies in advance if you already know about this.)
Angel City to HH has become a standard for every trip. Like you we head to the outer reef and then north until we see the chain lying on the reef. Then we follow the chain out onto the sand and watch as the Hooker emerges out of the hazy.

Right now that’s penciled in as our first dive tomorrow.

Darook, Trailboss and AnaMaria. Eric tells me I own you an apology. I understand I caused some concern leading the dive and not turning soon enough. My computer said 30 and I tried to watch to see if anyone turned before me but I missed it. All I can say in my defense is that it was my first time leading a group. Truly sorry.

Lisa

Darook. I think there was too much surface light there to see any strings. I have been told that Oil Slick is a good spot for this when the conditions are right.

Last edited:
Darook, Trailboss and AnaMaria. Eric tells me I own you an apology. I understand I caused some concern leading the dive and not turning soon enough. My computer said 30 and I tried to watch to see if anyone turned before me but I missed it. All I can say in my defense is that it was my first time leading a group. Truly sorry.

Lisa

Darook. I think there was too much surface light there to see any strings. I have been told that Oil Slick is a good spot for this when the conditions are right.
Don't sweat it. We had a great dive and saw cool stuff. Hopefully we will get together before everyone leaves the island! I think we are going to start at Invisibles or Red Beryl tomorrow.

I just saw that the ship left Salt Pier. I think we will go Invisibles then Salt Pier in the morning.

After we left everyone at red beryl, good dive btw, we watched you guys go under while doing our SI then decided to check red slave, seemed calm enough so we made that our 2nd for the day.
Lunch, new tanks then off to Andrea I, only to surface and see @Trailboss123 heading in.
Headed further north and decided to do tolo....made it in to the 20' depth and my computer o-ring blew again and had to abort.
Exchanged tanks again and headed to the rock, but as we got close we noticed the ship at salt pier left.....change of plans. We were first in with about 3 trucks backing up as we were heading down.

Exciting day.
AWESOME! Good to now that Salt Pier is now open.

Lisa

All good Lisa-- It was a great dive. We had a nice little current pushing us along on the way out-

I can probably help you out with that. We'll be on the island Dec 16 through Jan 7. We've enjoyed diving Bonaire for 20 years and this will be our 9th consecutive 3 week Christmas trip. So my wife is usually content to dive only once a day and I often dive solo while she shops, reads, or enjoys relaxing around the pool etc.

We'll be renting a private home on the hill in Santa Barbara and getting our tanks from DFB's Hamlet shop. The driving route between takes me right past Habitat, so meeting you there or at DFB's shop should be pretty easy.

We don't have a local phone at the house. The best way to contact me on the island is via the WhatsApp mobile app that works over wifi. (If you haven't used it before you should install and configure it while your still on your mobile network at home. After that it works over WiFi without need for connection to cellular network on Bonaire. (Whatsapp also works great for mobile calls to many Bonaire restaurants and businesses.) Second choice would be email. I'll PM you with my contact info.
That sounds great! Will install the app

Here are my photos from the trip. I will keep adding to it as I get more.

Great shots! :thumb:

What's going on in this photo???

v2.jpg

Don't sweat it. We had a great dive and saw cool stuff. Hopefully we will get together before everyone leaves the island! I think we are going to start at Invisibles or Red Beryl tomorrow.

I just saw that the ship left Salt Pier. I think we will go Invisibles then Salt Pier in the morning.
We did the Angel to HH as planned. I don’t usual care that much for the wreck but today we seemed to have missed the crowd and the light was perfect. Best view of the ship we have ever had.

Stopped at Salt Pier next but they were doing maintenance and asked us to return after 4. So we did Invisibles. Spent a lot of time on the sand between reefs. Again the lighting was excellent and the contrast between sand and reef was beautiful. Late lunch from a busy Kite City then plan south again for a late afternoon and dusk/night dive. Possibly Salt Pier.

After getting a new mask for my wife as her brand new Rx mask was leaking we had lunch at B2B just to make sure it was still tasty. Tastiness confirmed.

I concur with daRook - B2B continues to dominate the lunch octogon of lunch options on the island.

You guys are making me insanely jealous (and hungry!) We'll be on the island 12/16 - 01/07 and I just read on their Facebook page that Between 2 Buns will be closed for "Christmas Vacation" from 12/18 - 01/08. So we'll only have one day to get our B2B fix!
:cry:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom