December Bonaire v Thailand or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thanks in advance for your patience with a long and meandering post. I know its a little pathetic to start thinking about the next next dive trip, when we are so excited to hit the Philippines in April.

However, we might be able to squeeze something in for early December this year (before the baby train!) and that leads me to start thinking about options. I have dug around a bit, but thought I would put it out there.

About us: Still pretty newer divers altho hoping to be around 100 dives when we return from PI (Anilao/PG) in May. We have been to Bonaire twice and really love the dive freedom, the abundance of fish life, the shallow, warm, easy diving. The food and setup are great. From Denver, its relatively easy to get to with United going through Houston.

Bonaire Pros:
-love the diving and still haven't hit many popular sites (not bored yet)
-easy to get to
-done 2x before so easy to plan and have expectations

Bonaire Cons:
- rainy season in December(went before in Oct and May/June), might be busy?
-done 2x before
-pretty much stuck with one week or two based on flights, somewhere in between is more ideal at this time of year

Based on this I tried to look at where might be comparably attractive to us at a similar price with better weather at that time of year. I think East Indo is out due to pricing of airfare. Came up with Thailand.

Thoughts? Seems like good choices would be Khao Lak combined with Andaman sea liveaboard - although I know its more pricey for Thailand it seems like from research that this is some of Thailand's best diving? Would probably be looking for 1-2 close locations for a 10-12 night trip ideally flying into Phuket.

I met a few people who have dove Thailand via Wicked diving and said they preferred Bonaire but I am not sure if that is just because of setup or the actual diving (back in 2011). It seems like Thailand diving is looked down on compared to Indo and PI, but I am not sure about compared to the Caribbean. Thailand's main con I see is the time to get there and back which I will see how much I mind that in two months when we go to PI. Also, I am unfamiliar with the area. Lastly, it sounds like the high season - maybe it will be too busy? The pros I see are chance to do a short liveaboard (never done one before), chance to see great soft coral, chance to go to a new place, and sounds like a good time of year for diving. Not sure but preliminary research suggests that I can probably do either 10-12 night trip to Thailand for about the same price as 14-15 night trip to Bonaire.

Love to hear from folks who have done both Bonaire and Thailand, folks who have done Bonaire in December (how bad is the weather), folks who have done PI and Thailand (how will they compare), folks who have lots of experience with Thailand and can tell me other pros/cons I haven't thought of yet. Also, if there is some other glaring choice in this price range, please let me know. Seems like the weather in Southern Leyte or Visayas can be dicey this time of year or might consider that, too.

Have not been to Thailand but from what I have read the reefs are beautiful but it is really fished out.
Early December can have weather issues at all the Caribbean locales - north of the ABC's
Early December is the rainy season in Fiji but I would still consider going there over Thailand. Others will probably disagree and everyone has valid opinions.

Last edited:
'Rainy' season in Bonaire is quite relative. Remember it's an arid island. Odds are not high that you will get rained out. See some rain? Maybe. Be unable to dive? Not likely.

Richard.

Last January we did a 7. Day liveabaord from Koh Lanta to Similan, Surim, Richelieu Rock, Hin Daeng etc. We went with the Flying Seahorse. My little video is on the video subforum. The fish was abundant, the Rock especially is awesome. But on quite a few places the coral was destroyed in the past by dynamite fishing. I did Bonaire three times and Thailand and Andaman Islands also three times. I prefer the Andaman Sea over Bonaire. An alternative might be the Maldives.

Thanks for all of the responses! I am not worried to go Bonaire in December since I have been in rainy season before I kinda know what I would be getting into, just wondering if it would be rainier or less rainier than late October time. LOL.

I guess I am wondering if Thailand in December is "better" than Bonaire in December enough to justify:

- Triple the travel time 10hrs vs. 30hrs.
- A slight higher travel cost for Thailand
- Potentially much busier tourist season in Thailand than Bonaire

Fiji and Maldives sound great but I don't think its price comparable from US for Bonaire or Thailand in December, especially Westernish US. But I would love to go there someday and I will price it out! Thanks!

Id love to hear responses to this post. I am due to dive Bon this May and would be interested to know how it compares with other destinations. For Divejen: You can get cheap liveaboard boat in Maldives as long as you do not mind camping out in the middle of an ocean. I am not too luxury oriented so I am cool with the floating bunkhouse as long as diving is world class.

Early December can have weather issues at all the Caribbean locales - north of the ABC's

150yrs of actual history would seem to disagree.

Statistically speaking, anything after Thanksgiving in the Caribbean is as safe (or safer) storm-wise as any other time of year.

North_Atlantic_Tropical_Cyclone_Climatology_by_Day_of_Year_Graph.PNG

Per NOAA there have been nine tropical storms formed in December... since 1870.

December is the beginning of shark mating season in Palau.... just sayin'.

Been to Bonaire twice, diving there is good but not my favorite destination in Caribbean. I rate Cozumel and Roatan much higher as topside at both is a pleasure as well as the diving being better.

Been to Bonaire twice, diving there is good but not my favorite destination in Caribbean. I rate Cozumel and Roatan much higher as topside at both is a pleasure as well as the diving being better.

Here is the SECOND person this week who is saying that diving in Roatan is better than Bonaire. I am scheduled to dive Bonaire and Roatan so we will have to see if I agree with you on that one Robint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom