December Bonaire v Thailand or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your kind responses!

Lol yes there is always some debate about Coz,Roatan, and Bonaire. I have read many posts on this subject but don't have a direct comparison - they are definitely all in the good deal for diving from US category. I have been to all three at least twice but only diving in Bonaire. I feel like Coz and Bonaire diving (and topside) are very different styles, where Roatan is somewhere in the middle. I actually love all three destinations, but that shore diving freedom thing is pretty great, I chalk that up to being one of those methodical (slow), antisocial, control freaks we all know. We will see if the boat diving only thing jives with me when we are in the PI, although I admit I never met a trip I didn't highly enjoy.

Palau someday I hope, but definitely doesn't meet the criteria for a budget friendly trip lol!

Diving and travel is so much fun - I hope I live a long, healthy, prosperous life and get to make it to dive all of these great places!

Here is the SECOND person this week who is saying that diving in Roatan is better than Bonaire. I am scheduled to dive Bonaire and Roatan so we will have to see if I agree with you on that one Robint.

I didn't say the diving was necessarily better.... it is different. I just find the overall trip to be better to Roatan as I like the culture and people better.
Diving in Bonaire = every dive site is a sloping wall, no large coral structures, no swim-throughs, all the reefs look very similar. Roatan is the exact opposite = walls and swim-throughs, spur-and-groove sites, all the reefs look different. Fishlife - Bonaire has more fish, schooling and varieties. But Bonaire does not have big stuff. Both places are EASY diving.

Cozumel is the best of both in one destination..... fantastic fishlife, but lots of small stuff and big stuff. AND it has the most incredible reef structure with walls and swim-throughs, crazy current fly by the seat of your pants current some sites and easy shallow dives on others. Not EASY diving though... some sites yes, but others sites are challenging, and some sites are CRAZY wild. And the topside culture is friendly and warm, and not expensive for food or goods.

Thank you all for your kind responses!

Palau someday I hope, but definitely doesn't meet the criteria for a budget friendly trip lol!

Diving and travel is so much fun - I hope I live a long, healthy, prosperous life and get to make it to dive all of these great places!

My two cents. If it were my trip and money's an issue, I would not go to the western Pacific unless it really met my desires. There is a lot of cost, a lot of travel and a lot of non-diving time. I would rather save my money and go to the Caribbean until the time and money are right to go to a Pacific destination that is particularly high on my list. I also hope you live a long, healthy, prosperous life and dive all the great places!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom