Decisions, Decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sebastian

Contributor
Reaction score
Well my Christmas present for this year will be a BCD.

Before I start, I plan on getting into wreck and maybe cave diving in the near future and money doesn't play an issue in this case.

I also used the search function but couldn't really find anything useful.

Ok, first I went to my LDS and had a look around. My favourite was the Sherwood Outback

I decided to check out some other stores around Sydney to

A) Compare Prices
B) Try on other brands

Went to four shops and tried on

- Scubapro Knighthawk
- DiveRite Trans Pac II
- Zeagle Tech (not sure which one...the one with no weight pockets)
- Mares Jubilee

The only one I didn't like was the Mares...love the other ones :)

At the last shop they also had a Halcyon BP/Wing. At first glance it didn't really appeal to me but once I got home and went through the brochure it is starting to appeal more and more to me.

So my question is how does the Halcyon BP/Wing compare to the other back-inflate bc's mentioned above

Is it more stream lined (if i'd buy the halcyon i will probably attach two pockets)?

How comfortable is a backplate on land after a dive?

What I'm also looking at is the fit in a way that it is not lose.

For example with rental jacket bcd I use at the moment I notice that when I spin around the tank shifts a bit on one side therefor pulling me into this direction...which one has a better stability or are they equal?

Thanks,

Sebastian

Hello,

My recent purchase was a dive-rite transpac II. I added the weight pockets and rec wings. I am very pleased with the quality, construction, material and the obvious deep though that went into that unit, wish I could say the same for most bc's on the market but I can't.

Ed

I wrote an article about BC "basics." It's at http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/homebc.html . That might be of some use for you.

I have not tried the Sherwood Outback, although I am familiar with it. It appears to be a well-built BC.

I have used a Zeagle, but am now unsure of the model. I was not a fan of the ripcord weight ditch system.

I have used the Transpac and the Knighthawk. I was very pleased with both of them. I liked the stability of the Knighthawk over the structureless TPII, but I favored the build quality and simplicity of the TPII over the Knighthawk. The TPII allows for the changing of wings, too, which is a feature that I would find useful, and so would prefer that over the Knighthawk.

That said, I finally purchased a Halcyon Pioneer 27 and mated it to a Gary Hoadley plate purchased from his "Technical Supply" store on Ebay. I'm exceedingly thrilled with my bp/wing. It's advantages are:

1. Total and utter stability unmatched by any "over the counter" BC.

2. Modular system means that I can add or subtract all sorts of things like pockets, canister lights, weights in a variety of areas, etc.

3. "Built in" proper weight distribution that places 6 pounds of weight right over my lungs, where it's needed most. See article on why this is a great thing to have.

4. Separate pieces that are easily assembled/disassembled means that I can easily replace anything that wears out - even the actual harness, which is completely replacable for about $12.

5. Total performance with buoyancy - there is no "face forward" tendency at the surface, and the crotch strap keeps everything perfectly situated. The balance of this type of rig is outstanding. I have not found a more perfectly balanced rig.

6. Durability unmatched by any "over the counter" BC... Not much will outlast the stainless steel backplate, heavy 2" webbing, and thick material that makes up the Halcyon wing.

7. Easy upgrade to doubles for about half the cost of another BC built especially for doubles.

8. Totally open and "minimalist" design virtually disappears underwater... It's tough to tell that I'm wearing any gear at all. There is no binding or "squeeze" from this style of rig.

9. Complete lack of clutter and "danglies."

To answer your questions directly, yes... The Halcyon MC system is much more streamlined than even the simplest of "over the counter" BC's. For the pockets, I would recommend buying just one first and seeing how that goes. One pocket far exceeds the amount of storage space in ALL the pockets on even the most pocketed of BC's. Plus, since it's all in one place, you can simply carry larger items. I recommend just one, on the right hip, placed as far back on your harness as possible. You will find it both exceedingly large and streamlined, in the "wake" of your arm. In terms of comfort on land, it's very obvious to most that the steel plate would not be very comfortable... But that simply is not the case. Many people dive BP's with no exposure protection at all, and do not complain... But if you dive with a wetsuit (like most of us) then rest assured that even the thinnest of neoprene provides enough padding that it's a non-issue. In fact, many people diving a bp/wing for the first time comment on how great it is to "get rid of all of that padding and bulk." Simply put, that stuff sells BC's in the store, but rarely has any real function when diving.

The only downside I can think of with a bp/wing is the lack of quick adjustability... It may take you several dives to get your adjustments "spot on"... Of course, once that point is set, you will be happy that it never goes back out of adjustment, unlike a "regular" BC. It also does away nicely with plastic buckles, quick releases, and excess adjustment straps... And other "danglies." However, in all fairness, for this reason bp/wings probably don't make very good rental gear, and thus you're not likely to find that bp/wings are very common in the "recreational" side of diving.

I've got some 200 dives on my bp/wings, and can not imagine "going back." No doubt I'm not alone in this. They come highly recommended.

Hope that helps. :)

SeaJay,

Those benefits sounds exactly the same as the transpac II, or did I miss something here?

Ed

The designer of the TPII had a bp/wing "for travel" in mind when he created it; imagine a TPII with a backplate built in for stability.

That's the major difference. The Halcyon stuff takes the idea of simplicity so well executed in the TPII and takes it one step further and rids the rig of even more padding and buckles... But the designs are very similar.

...Which is probably why I liked it so much. :)

Thanks for the replies

Is configuring the Wing difficult (putting pockets on, etc)?

Just checked the Halcyon website:

- Eclipse Single Tank Wings
- Pioneer Single Tank Wings
- Explorer Double Tank Wings

Does that mean that if i'd start diving doubles i'd have to buy a new wing if I lets say, dive with the Pioneer

I am new to diving and I recently purchased the Halcyon 36 lb Pioneer set-up. It is not hard to adjust. Since it is fully adjustable it fits better than any BC I had tried previously.

I was also not sure about getting a backplate and wings set-up at first, but I had a chance to rent one in Monterey, CA. It was not uncomfortable on land (my cold-water wetsuit provides enough padding). In the water it is very streamlined. It also doesn't push me forward at all when I float on the surface. It could just be that my skills are improving, but buoyancy control and maintaining proper trim seemed easier with the BP/Wings.

I think that you'll need different lift capabilities if you are diving doubles or singles. To me that is an advantage -- if you decide to go diving with doubles later you can get a new wing and not a whole new BC.

Agreed.

If you are going back and forth between recreational and technical diving....you will find the need for more than one wing for lift purposes at the very least.

I own a Halcyon BP with the 27lb Pioneer wing and simply love it. I use this for all my single tank diving. When I cave or wreck dive with doubles, you'll find me using the Halcyon BP with my DiveRite Junior (now called Trek) or Classic Wings depending on the lift I need.

I also have the DiveRite Transpac II. I used this exclusively for about 5 years before going to the full BP. I have no complaints about the TPII, but the BP gave me the few pounds of extra weight I needed when using heavier underwear with my drysuit. Being a woman....the more weight I can get off my hips the better. I do still use my TPII when doing sidemount diving.

I think you'll find a BP/Wing combo much more versatile. I won't have anything else. My old jacket Dacor has now been relegated to pool use.

My .02 worth

I just purchased the Trans II and equiped it with the Halcyon Eclipse wing.

Sweet set-up.

BUT........

Because of the waist padding I am running out of room for the items I want to add.

Example:
Currently I have the weight pockets, knife, and have added two d-rings one on each side, I have a small knife on the chest strap.

The problem is that because of the padding I have no room for a pocket which I wanted to carry things like a Safety sausage, whistle, shears, slate, etc.
so I think I am going to get rid of the waist padding.

The pockets are the issue as they take up a lot of room. I wanted them because I will primarily be diving cold water wet so I will have a large amount of weight and I did not want it all on my belt. Some will say to put the weight on the STA but that would be a pain to have to take back off when I go on vacation and dive warm water.

A BP/Wing might have been a better choice.

Scott

SeaJay once bubbled...
well executed in the TPII and takes it one step further and rids the rig of even more padding and buckles... But the designs are very similar.

...Which is probably why I liked it so much. :)

Hello,

Well that padding is one of the key selling points for me. I liked the lumbar support, the chest strap padding and so forth. Also keep in mind our goals for being underwater vastly differ. Mine is primarly for photography and i'm all about lightweight and small. This is why I use E-80's now.

Who knows maybe my next bc setup will be a BP/wings.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom