Decisions on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My beef with Suunto was that I bought a D9tx which was sold as a tech diving computer. Shortly after it was "upgraded" to the DX which allegedly even included CCR!

Anyway, as someone who did move on to technical diving (mixed gas, trimix, deep, longish deco times), the D9tx is hopeless. I wore it only as a backup computer and to log dives. Interestingly the Shearwater Perdix was the primary computer which I did ~260 dives and never failed. The Suunto failed at least three times with the unpredicted battery needing replacement (twice when away!) - and a shop replacement is £50/€60/$70 (or home replacement for £5/€6/$7). It was impossible to read the text underwater (needs a torch shone upon it); had the world's most confusing button presses for gas changes; had some stupid "conservatism" built into MOD calculations which meant breaking your 6m/20' ceiling to switch to 100% - had to go to 5m/17' before the damn thing would switch; was massively conservative - even on it's most "aggressive" setting it would add up to 10 mins of additional "Suunto Tax" decompression over the ZHL-16 on 50:80 -- which you had to do or the stupid thing would lock up for 48 hours.

The thing's sitting in a box of old dive crap along with a shaker, a quacker, and a bunch of yellow crap which needs to be thrown out.

The problem is somehow Suunto have made their computers mind-numbingly difficult to use with ridiculous features and a hideously complex four button user interface (with short and long presses, so effectively 8 buttons!)

The Shearwater, on the other hand, is a sheer pleasure to use. It just works. The two-button user interface is a best-in-class example of how to do it right.
When you buy something you do not know how to operate the fault is yours only. If you buy anything without checking what the thing does anain the fault is yours.

MY original Cobra still works, after some 5000 dives. My first SP computer died after 3 years. A Cressi computer died after 4 years with light use.

I set my computers to do what I want them to do, and they do what I want them to do it. But I do check if they do what I need them to do, and how.

When you buy something you do not know how to operate the fault is yours only. If you buy anything without checking what the thing does anain the fault is yours.
In all fairness, the Shearwater UI is so simple to use. Some don't like the alignment of text when working through a menu, but I have found it to be far more intuitive than anything else currently on the market. I've hardly cracked open the manuals. Never had to when programming in the transmitters. As a software/firmware engineer, I appreciate the efforts made to have such an intuitive UI. I've always hated how dependent I was initially on manuals for other dive computers.

That kind of usability is the benchmark in my opinion for a dive computer. Though I've only used about half a dozen before I bought my first Shearwater.

My wife and I had some nice dives with Dive in Puerto Moreles during a visit in 2010. I would encourage folks to think about your location. Why would you possibly bring up list price and profit margin regarding Shearwater computers??
As most vendors will try to get people to buy whatever they make most money on. I have no idea about Shearwater margins, but usually vendors prefer to sell something that makes them more money as opposed to less money.

It was a response to someone saying a shop sold more Shearwaters than Suunto. Shearwater is very good, but there are others for a better price without the things many do not need.

As most vendors will try to get people to buy whatever they make most money on. I have no idea about Shearwater margins, but usually vendors prefer to sell something that makes them more money as opposed to less money.

It was a response to someone saying a shop sold more Shearwaters than Suunto. Shearwater is very good, but there are others for a better price without the things many do not need.
Some people may sell this way. Is this how your shop operates?

I assume you are not a Shearwater distributor, right?

I went ahead and re-read what @Wibble wrote. What he described to me does not sound like not knowing how it worked. Complicated button presses to do a gas switch in a computer aimed at recreational divers is bad UI design, but could be somewhat understandable. In a computer aimed at tech divers, where gas switches are expected, it’s very bad UI, and could be dangerous.

LOL. I guess you got the good one they made. What is the opposite of a lemon?
I have about 14 Suunto computers. Some died after some years. I still have my first Cobra after 20 years. Some SP computers dies on me as well. All after warranty was over.

Suunto gave me some deals with a replacement. SP did not, even after light use with only 4 years.

That’s one option. And is probably correct for transactional focused dive shops. For shops focused on customers and repeat business, they would likely opt for the brand with fewer complaints.

How does one know which toy to buy when there’s so many to choose from and you’ve so little experience? Was my first dive computer and all the marketing [lying] info was pushing its technical credentials.

I’m now balancing the marketing information as an experienced technical diver talking to those who’re starting out and could do with some guidance…. Don’t buy the Suunto computers based on their technical prowess — they don’t have any. Buy the Shearwater equivalent as they are very good dive computers in all ways and are commonly used by real technical divers, especially on rebreathers.

This may have been something I said a while back.

It’s a quote from a local dive shop who said they sell almost exclusively Shearwater computers, especially the Periguine. The shop owner was quite adamant that they now only sell the most basic Suunto computers as the competition is far better.

In all fairness, the Shearwater UI is so simple to use. Some don't like the alignment of text when working through a menu, but I have found it to be far more intuitive than anything else currently on the market. I've hardly cracked open the manuals. Never had to when programming in the transmitters. As a software/firmware engineer, I appreciate the efforts made to have such an intuitive UI. I've always hated how dependent I was initially on manuals for other dive computers.

That kind of usability is the benchmark in my opinion for a dive computer. Though I've only used about half a dozen before I bought my first Shearwater.
Again, you decided to buy the Suunto. You did not do your research before spending your money. You should have looked at ALL divecomputers before buying.

I currently use 6 different computers, for 3 different sets of circumstances. The only thing I ever change is the nitrox percentage. I do not need an intuitive UI. I grab a box with the correct gear for the day, that is it.

I would say anything but Scubapro, Cressi, Agualung. Anything with a small screen.

I have been using Suunto the past 29 years without a problem. From a Companion to a Cobra. Now using the Vyper Novo and Cobra. Just ordered the Oceanic for the large screen.

I have had terrible customer service from most manufacturers except Tusa and DiveSystem. Scubapro being the worst, followed by Mares.

Most people buy stuff they really do not need.

So you have been lucky with a company that has known issues.

I maintain anything but suunto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom