Decisions on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently use 6 different computers, for 3 different sets of circumstances. The only thing I ever change is the nitrox percentage. I do not need an intuitive UI. I grab a box with the correct gear for the day, that is it.
Your usage sounds very atypical. If it works for you, then that’s fine.

Most divers I know use pretty much the same gear. Same computer at least. If it’s too complicated to change settings, and you can afford it, then getting a different computer for each gas mix is one way. Just doesn’t seem to be very cost effective or travel friendly.

Another option is a simple, intuitive UI. My computer will work for pretty much any dive I want to attempt. Without needing to consult a manual for a gas switch.

Again, you decided to buy the Suunto. You did not do your research before spending your money. You should have looked at ALL divecomputers before buying.
Fortunately, Suunto is not on the list of dive computers that I have purchased. Remember the whole Dunning-Kruger thing. What I knew when I started out, my ability to research, cut through BS, when I started out is nothing like today. If I didn't learn, I might have a heart rate monitor on my dive computer.
I currently use 6 different computers, for 3 different sets of circumstances. The only thing I ever change is the nitrox percentage. I do not need an intuitive UI. I grab a box with the correct gear for the day, that is it.
Why spend so much money? Get two shearwaters for technical diving and/or backup "just in case" (just in case has never happened to me, the only thing I can think that would case my Shearwater to fail is running out of battery or being distracted, putting leaving it on a bench where someone crushes it with their cylinder). No reason to have more than two unless you get a rebreather. Fortunately the dive computer/controller on my rebreather is also made by Shearwater.

OK here is my take as both a Sunnto owner and Perdix owner. I had a Vyper which I used for a few years but the pressure sensor failed and I found out it was a known issue with Suunto and they had a class action lawsuit over it. I am not from the USA so Suunto basically said tough luck you are not covered so not even a repair of my DC. It was easy to read until low visibility / night dives. The button for the backlight was not easy to use really. So if someone asks me about Suunto I tell them my story and to avoid Suunto. I know quite a few people who also had pressure sensor failures on their Sunntos and there LDS also said too bad outta luck can't help you.

I had seen the Petral as one of my instructors used one. I had seen a group of 6 instructors from NZ in Cebu doing a weeks diving at the same dive center I dive with. They were also technical divers but on vacation dives staying within NDL on nitrox 32% as the DM guide was not qualified for deco dives. They were all wearing the Perdix and as I passed them on a dive took a good look at the screen. I'm like yeah wow, I really like that screen. Later on I was able to discuss with one of them about the Perdix and his thoughts on it. He asked what sort of diving I did and I replied deco and mostly NDL dives.

So for me budget was not an issue, for others understandably it is. We are all adults so we can decide how much we want to spend on our diving equipment. So my Suunto shat itself halfway through a vacation so I just limited my dives to max depth 20m for the rest of that vacation. I felt so bereft not having a DC to dive with and using a paper logbook felt alien. I also realized I had become lazy and had not brought my RDP tables. Does having a DC make one lazy? in a sense yes but I am all for that lol.

The Peregrine was not available when I bought my Perdix. So for me I think I still would have bought the Perdix had the Peregrine been available. I do not wear a watch so for me the Perdix screen, the features it has is what I want. What others want in their Perdix doesn't concern me lol A few of my dive buddies use the Teric and one uses a Garmin.

So my diving is still Deco and NDL diving on vacation. I do not want to do rebreathers. I will stop with the TDI advanced nitrox and deco and limit my max depth to 45m. So my Perdix AI is my primary device (I do not use a transmitter now) , and my secondary backup timer and depth gauge is my Cressi Digi 2 console. As the Cressi gives you time to 50 bar from any point on a dive I can gauge my air consumption. When I meet people who do not dive a lot and they ask me about a DC I tell them to look online, read peoples reviews, speak to other divers and ask what they use. I will however recommend the Shearwater brand due to known exceptional service to customers even with out of warranty devices. For many people that is important. Seeing as countries are opening up I will start to take my regular diving vacations and do around 200 plus dives a year. Some will be sidemount deco dives other single tank NDL dives ( or maybe with light deco )

For me doing that number of dives a year I am glad I have my Perdix and my Cressi console.

So you have been lucky with a company that has known issues.

I maintain anything but suunto.
Or you have been unlucky. I have seen people that do not care about their cars breaking down after 2 years, which in the US with American brands is pretty normal. But a diving computer that stops working after 5 years is a huge problem.

I dabble a bit in computers as well, and I see very few class actions against US companies, even when it is very clear the companies are at fault. Keyboards, screens and such come to mind on a VERY expensive brand of computers.

And Americans are so stupid they keep buying it.

Fortunately, Suunto is not on the list of dive computers that I have purchased. Remember the whole Dunning-Kruger thing. What I knew when I started out, my ability to research, cut through BS, when I started out is nothing like today. If I didn't learn, I might have a heart rate monitor on my dive computer.

Why spend so much money? Get two shearwaters for technical diving and/or backup "just in case" (just in case has never happened to me, the only thing I can think that would case my Shearwater to fail is running out of battery or being distracted, putting leaving it on a bench where someone crushes it with their cylinder). No reason to have more than two unless you get a rebreather. Fortunately the dive computer/controller on my rebreather is also made by Shearwater.
I do not want to spend time changing settings when I teach or guide a dive. If you find changing settings is no problem have fun.

I grab a box with todays gear and I am ready.

Oh, my old Cobra has had a number of crates on it.

Or you have been unlucky.
I know many divers who had Suunto dive computers die from the pressure sensor issue which was a known fault to Suunto. I guess I was one of the "unlucky" ones. Does that affect my bias towards recommending their brand of computer? It sure does. The issue is Suunto tried to deny they had an issue and that's why a class action lawsuit was done. So Suunto were at fault for marketing dive computers with known issues then telling people to sod off none of their business when their DC's died.

I know people who bought Suunto's before they had the issue and their DC's are still working fine. When you have a company selling DC's with known errors for depth this is an issue. As I did not buy my Vyper in the USA I was not covered. I tell this to other divers asking me about DC's as well. Look to make sure you get world wide coverage, like Shearwater offers. I bought my Shearwater online and registered it with Shearwater and they cover their worldwide customers and the reason I recommend them is you see so many people who post about the excellent service they got even when their Shearwater was out of warranty.

I do not want to spend time changing settings when I teach or guide a dive. If you find changing settings is no problem have fun.
That's what an intuitive user interface gives you. If you haven't used a Shearwater product before, you should give at least the Peregrine a try if you are not into technical diving. As it is so easy to switch gasses, 10 seconds if you are slow.
You could sell some of it.
Oh, my old Cobra has had a number of crates on it.
Crates is not the same as cylinders. You want to see if I could crush it? I'd almost go out of my way to FB live that one! LOL

I totally get that with the interface most dive computers have. It’s complicated. Usually, the manuals aren’t much help. A dive computer is a bit of a rarity. You can’t really use it out of the water the same way as you would in the water. That’s where a good UI is key. I can easily change the settings in a few seconds. Mostly, I’m changing mix, or turning AI on or off.

I will admit, I’ve read the Perdix manuals, but I did that before I bought it. It was part of my research. Since then, though I haven’t needed to look through the manuals to change any settings. Everything is where you’d expect it.

I totally get that with the interface most dive computers have. It’s complicated. Usually, the manuals aren’t much help. A dive computer is a bit of a rarity. You can’t really use it out of the water the same way as you would in the water. That’s where a good UI is key. I can easily change the settings in a few seconds. Mostly, I’m changing mix, or turning AI on or off.

I will admit, I’ve read the Perdix manuals, but I did that before I bought it. It was part of my research. Since then, though I haven’t needed to look through the manuals to change any settings. Everything is where you’d expect it.
It’s like trying to describe REAL Belgian chocolate to someone who has only tasted Hershey, they think they are happy with what they are used to but…

It’s like trying to describe REAL Belgian chocolate to someone who has only tasted Hershey, they think they are happy with what they are used to but…
Quite true.

@Diverspoint one thing I’m curious about. Seems the set it once and grab the appropriate rig can be fairly limiting. In a day of diving, I may do some very different profiles. Such that one mix may not be best. For example, I may do a deep dive on air followed by a shallower dive on 32 or 36%. With your system, that wouldn’t be possible.

I’ve got to say, your multiple sets of gear is the most bizarre reaction to poorly designed UI I’ve ever heard of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom