Decisions on steel tanks (i.e. how bad will a HP120 screw up my trim?).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 6'2", and when I was diving open circuit I used 117s - initially singles but then doubled them up. They are pretty short (and wide, 8"), I thought they trimmed out great. No complaints...

You will not have any a problems with HP120s. I believe they have near identical length to the Worthington HP120s. My buddy has a set of Faber HP120s doubles, while I use Worthington HP120 doubles. He's about 5' 7 and I'm 5' 5. Neither of us have any problems with them. In the water, they trim beautifully with ease. At least with those with whom I dive, that have not migrated to rebreathers, the HP120 have become the standard back gas configuration for tech dive profiles.

I’m 6’4” and love my tall steel 120.
The only tank I love more for some silly reason are my steel 72’s.
Two totally different tanks for different applications, but there’s something magical about 72’s.

Hey guys and gals,

Snow is flying up here, Christmas is looming behind a pile of Turkey and football games (rejoice!), and I'm thinking I am about to bite that heavy, steel bullet and get a couple of tanks to call my very own.

That said, it has been a somewhat...weird search, for lack of a better word. I'm going to be buying new, which means I'm buying Faber, which means my options are either a pair of 100's, 120's, 117's, or 133's.

I've dove 100's and 133's. The 100's were fine, albeit noticeably short. The 133's were OK--definitely heavy, but I'll end up in doubles eventually, and I've filled and carried those around. And holeeees**t they are heavy.

Here's the conundrum. I like the 120's a whole bunch, but they're 29.1 inches long (almost 4 inches longer than a 100). The big kicker is I've never personally seen or dove a Faber 120.

I'm about 6 '7", 235 lbs, relatively big guy (read: "doughy with broad shoulders), and somewhat evenly proportioned, but the fact those tanks are so darn long gives me pause.

Anybody have any experience or advice here?
I have Faber 117's and love them. They are the same height as my PST 100's, just fatter. I find the 133s a bit too big and heavy as well, but love the way the 117s trim out for me. 5'10", 230lbs.

I'm just under 6' and I absolutely love my HP120s. Absolutely the best trim. They are PSTs, but they are awesome.

I'm just under 6' and I absolutely love my HP120s. Absolutely the best trim. They are PSTs, but they are awesome.
Man, if you're good with them, and @tbone1004 is good with them, I think if I have problems with them, that's probably more a reflection on my diving than the tanks.

Now I just need to see if we're still a dealer for Deep Sea Supply and if I can buy a long backplate to spread the good word of that advocate for us alternative-sized folks, Tobin.

I dive them with a Zeagle Express Tech. The length gives them a stability few tanks can achieve. You don't need anything special, but Tobin makes some fine equipment. I just don't see the need for a BP&Wing with a single tank. I haven't had anyone complain about my trim in a long, long time either. It's what I'm known for.

I dive them with a Zeagle Express Tech. The length gives them a stability few tanks can achieve. You don't need anything special, but Tobin makes some fine equipment. I just don't see the need for a BP&Wing with a single tank. I haven't had anyone complain about my trim in a long, long time either. It's what I'm known for.

he's in Alaska in a drysuit and going to doubles... Not something the ZET can really deal with properly

he's in Alaska in a drysuit and going to doubles... Not something the ZET can really deal with properly
It's perfect for the singles. He'll need another wing for the doubles anyway, so just have two dedicated rigs. The Express Tech is about the price of a wing, so he'll be ahead. At least, that's how I do it. And yes, while I have only dove coldish water a few times in a dry suit, I used my ET with great success. The point is: you don't need a BP&Wing to handle a single tank. Use what you have already and enjoy the dives.

It's perfect for the singles. He'll need another wing for the doubles anyway, so just have two dedicated rigs. The Express Tech is about the price of a wing, so he'll be ahead. At least, that's how I do it. And yes, while I have only dove coldish water a few times in a dry suit, I used my ET with great success. The point is: you don't need a BP&Wing to handle a single tank. Use what you have already and enjoy the dives.
Haha, while I agree with you, I already dive a BP&W and love it, so I'm hanging with it until I move to doubles. I got indoctrinated into GUE early and have been (moderately!) on the Kool Aid since.

Back
Top Bottom