Deco Distractions - Media Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RangerDJ

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Without much success, I've spent some time searching for media player devices, audio and/or video, to help pass the time during long decompression stops. I would be interested in learning what devices people use or may have seen others use, that will work at depths of 20 to 40 feet (most products out there only work up to 10'). Products like the iDive300 water proof case with speakers is very expensive ($350) and appears to be no longer available. I would also be interested in hearing about self designed/home built items as well. (Kindly refrain from commenting unless you are providing information specific to the request of this post.)

I use a waterproof ipod shuffle. Music only, bit limited in terms of what it can do, but it's one of the best presents my wife has gotten me

This product is only good to 10'.

Not sure where you got that.

Highest rated waterproof iPod Shuffle on the market backed by a 2-YEAR WARRANTY and 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Our innovative waterproofing process produces the most durable waterproof mp3 player made, depth rated to over 250 ft, and impervious to salt water or pool chlorine.

From the FAQ page :

How deep underwater can I take one of your iPods without damaging it?
We have personally tested our waterproof iPods to depths over 250 ft. Competing products are typically only rated from 10 to 25 ft.

They say this portion about scuba diving, based upon you diving with plugs in your ears, which you would not do.

Can I use your iPod for scuba diving?

NO. While our iPods have no problem with the pressure and remain waterproof at scuba diving depths. Your ears are another story. Having earplugs in your ears while scuba diving could potentially damage your ears. It's similar to how holding your breath while scuba diving is bad for your lungs. Other water activities however are completely recommended. Feel free to snorkel with it, go surfing, white water rafting, or even running on a day that you might get caught in the rain.

This product is only good to 10'.

k, so here's how this works.

The ipod is fine down to friggen deep. The issue is the headphones. the headphones are normal headphones, so after about 10ft, serious distortion starts due to the pressure. It works at 20ft, not so much at 30. You can hear it, but there is no clarity and the pitch is all off.
The plugs on the headphones stop water and air so you can't equalize properly. Doesn't matter on deco as you will put them in on your stop so everything is equalized. I typically will roll to one side, get some air in my ear canal from exhaust bubbles and that way the sound clarity is a bit better. Roll to the other side and put the other earbud in

if you want proper sound quality at depth, the only real option is bone conducting headphones. I am not aware of any on the market right now other than the ones that are used in the FFM com systems. Those will work if you have a surface transmitter and someone playing music or whatever from up top, but I don't think there is a way to integrate one of those into an ipod or something else at depth

I am getting me one for Kritmus!! Have not really needed so far due to not doing any deco..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom