Deco obligation during Emergency Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, the first problem was that there was no briefing. Unfortunately in this day and age you have to be very careful what you tell a diver in a briefing. Meaning if I tell a diver that if I initiate a recall for whatever reason, you are to return to the boat without doing the last x number of minutes on a deco obligation because I wouldn't have initiated the recall without having a very good reason, then you have put yourself in a situation where you are responsible for the diver that blew x minutes of deco, if he indeed ends up with a problem. In my briefings I always explain the procedure that will take place and then make sure the divers know they are responsible for returning safely to the boat knowing that time is of the essence. I always make it clear that a "safety stop" is probably not the best idea if they hear a recall, but a deco obligation is probably a really good idea to complete, even if they hear a recall.

KISS if it's real deco then I'd finish it. If it's a SS then I'd surface. Note if I were fighting a current trying to get back to the boat I do it at as shallow a depth that I could in order to extend my gas usage and avoid "accidently" going into deco.

My 2 cents on your question .

Firstly, from the information you provided no dive plan/briefing was done, which is the first mistake. Secondly, always discuss emergency plans. This is covered in the basic OW course, and must be part of all briefings!! Also no deco dives where planned or discussed. When doing deco dives there will always be 2 boats, specifically for emergencies. If a recall to the boat is made by the captain during no deco dive, you better surface, or follow briefing procedure. If you don’t, you better be a good swimmer!!!

I dive off the King Neptune here at Catalina. In their dive briefings they talk about the emergency recall system (an underwater siren) and state that divers should ascend when they hear it, but complete any safety stop or fulfill a required deco obligation.

Surprised the vessel in question here did not have a better recall system than banging weights.

Surprised the vessel in question here did not have a better recall system than banging weights.
Clanging a weight is the recall system I have run across most frequently.

Our captain knew exactly where to look. Downstream... (really, it ain't rocket science).

Maybe not, but that likely works better when you don't dive in an area where you may have 4 or 5 of these within a mile of the site.

If I'm decoing off the Moody and I hear an emergency recall, one of my first thoughts will be that a good friend is drifting towards the shipping lane. You can fix bent, but you probably can't fix getting run down by a 100,000 ton trans-pacific container ship.

78969d1278611420-deco-obligation-during-emergency-recall-123.jpg

Attachments

• 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 120
Kudos to all of you who've participated in this thread. This is perhaps the most informative and thought provoking thing I've read since joining the board. I'm a relatively new diver and was certified when I was very young. I had a 15 year absence from the sport before opting to pick it up again recently. Now that I'm more advanced in my age and work in an industry where briefing/planning is a way of life, I've begun to think more critically about the dangers of diving. I've read every post on this thread with intent and interest. Thanks again.

Before I go...what is?
1.Bluewater accent
2. "corked"

Back
Top Bottom