Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBC

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I said that deep air wasn't smart. ...Its a shame that so many agencies still think that air can be "handled" or dealt with, when time and time again, it gets people hurt or killed. What keeps people alive is good skills, a great buddy, smart gear choices, and using the proper gas at the proper depth.

Deep air isn't smart for the inexperienced, but it is manageable ("can be handled") for those who have learned how. If Diver "A" can't handle it (because he hasn't learned how to), he's likely to give the "the proper gas at the proper depth" response.

The human body shows demonstrable signs of performance loss at 50'. So do you use Trimix for a 50' dive? So what's the right mixture for this dive?

The gas chosen has to provide an envelope of safe performance. You dive air at 50' even though your performance is diminished, but you're still safe to dive air. What is "the proper gas" depends upon the individual diver. Also, the "proper gas" isn't always available or cost effective.

Because Diver A gets narced out of shape at 80' doesn't mean Diver B will. I have quite a few hours working deep air past 200'. I'm paid to get the job done, not to be narced and unsafe. If I can do the job safely on air, I use air. The proper gas is dependent on the individual and his/her experience.

How does helium fail on a dive?

It doesn't. The use of Helium on a deep dive does however put a diver deeper than his experience may dictate. Do you think that the only problem with deep diving is the gas you breathe?

It doesn't. The use of Helium on a deep dive does however put a diver deeper than his experience may dictate. Do you think that the only problem with deep diving is the gas you breathe?

helium doesn't make anyone do anything.

maybe talk funny...

helium doesn't make anyone do anything.

No. The ability to use Helium puts an inexperienced diver deeper than he should be in the first-place.

No. The ability to use Helium puts an inexperienced diver deeper than he should be in the first-place.

Nope.

Try again.

You Sir are mistaken. Thousands of commercial divers are working deep air as I type this.

So?

Has nothing to do with what I said.

But you don't get that, do you?

Must be an ego thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom