Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
and since when is commercial divers = recreational Technical diving.

One has nothing to do with the other, other than the fact that they are both in water.

Sure man. Go on with that. As more and more people die in RECREATIONAL activity because of deep air. Oh wait, its a macho thing, isn't it? Tough enough to manage it... until it bites you. How many people does it have to kill before you start to change your mind? I bet the poor guy who got paralyzed on the Spiegal Grove wishes he had a clearer head a 130'.

All you're doing is sticking you head in the sand attempting to justify what you've been doing for years as people get hurt and killed. This is diving for FUN, not a paycheck. Not the same thing...

Cost effective is one of the poorest arguments for not using the right stuff that exists. I'm a college student with a part time job and the good ol GI Bill as my income. Funny how I can go do trimix dives, own good equipment, and have a great time in the water... yet people want to complain about the cost of stuff. If you can't afford it, don't do it. Plain and simple.

And to answer your question (which I've answered before) about where the cut off is, its at about 90-100ft, depending on the dive and conditions. I'm not afraid (or too cheap) to add helium at this depth range, and I certainly don't mind adding more at deeper depths. I picked this depth because past this the impairment becomes enough that I (and others) feel that a diver cannot make quick and correct judgments. We've been over this a thousand times. Cut it out.

we get it dude. you're a big macho commercial diver. we get it.

Scary thing...he is also a tech instructor. Thats where the real tragedy is. He ideas will live on with his students.

Sure man. Go on with that. As more and more people die in RECREATIONAL activity because of deep air. Oh wait, its a macho thing, isn't it? Tough enough to manage it... until it bites you. How many people does it have to kill before you start to change your mind? I bet the poor guy who got paralyzed on the Spiegal Grove wishes he had a clearer head a 130'.

At ease Private; don't try to make this personal. I'm unaware of the circumstances of the case you mention. Obviously you have come to a conclusion that narcosis has something to do with the tragedy. I don't know if it did, but I know many divers dive too deep for their experience. All I'm saying is that Trimix doesn't change this.

All you're doing is sticking you head in the sand attempting to justify what you've been doing for years as people get hurt and killed. This is diving for FUN, not a paycheck. Not the same thing...

What I'm saying is that commercial divers are competent to dive on deep air; not because they are commercial divers, but it's a skill that can be learned. When I started recreational diving, it was learned by a number of experienced divers who wanted to dive deep. Now it's becoming a lost art, because it's easier just to breathe Trimix, yet Trimix doesn't prevent an inexperienced diver from going deeper than his experience dictates.

Cost effective is one of the poorest arguments for not using the right stuff that exists. I'm a college student with a part time job and the good ol GI Bill as my income. Funny how I can go do trimix dives, own good equipment, and have a great time in the water... yet people want to complain about the cost of stuff. If you can't afford it, don't do it. Plain and simple.

You miss my point. I don't need Trimix to do a 150' dive. If you do, great fill your boots! If Trimix isn't available, you can dive shallow or go sailboarding, but for me nothing changes. :)

Sigh... I guess you're right, DCBC. You're immune to narcosis. Must be cool. Sucks for everyone else who bit it or got hurt because you seem to think that your super power is universal.

Seems to me that in 2004, two trained cave divers, one with ten years of experience and 8 years of trimix experience, died with an END of 150'. Too bad he wasn't as good at managing narcosis as you are.

Seems to me that in 2004, two trained cave divers, one with ten years of experience and 8 years of trimix experience, died with an END of 150'. Too bad he wasn't as good at managing narcosis as you are.

They weren't commercial divers.

Sigh... I guess you're right, DCBC. You're immune to narcosis. Must be cool. Sucks for everyone else who bit it or got hurt because you seem to think that your super power is universal.

Not immune; we each have an operational depth envelope on air. My comments were directed at people throwing stones at deep air training. If you don't understand something, it's far easier to criticize it isn't it?

Narcosis isn't the only thing that causes divers to die at depth, but if it was narcosis obviously the diver was deeper than he could manage its effects. The fact that I and tens of thousands of other divers can manage narcosis at a more extended depth range than you can, seems to bother you. Why is this the case?

Because Diver A gets narced out of shape at 80' doesn't mean Diver B will. I have quite a few hours working deep air past 200'. I'm paid to get the job done, not to be narced and unsafe. If I can do the job safely on air, I use air. The proper gas is dependent on the individual and his/her experience.

You also have a full support crew and do not need to monitor your air supply which is unlimited. This is the stupidest argument I have seen in a long time for deep air. :confused::confused::confused:

Since we're now in the monthly deep air thread...

I know many divers dive too deep for their experience. All I'm saying is that Trimix doesn't change this.

That's what everyone is saying...

Trimix doesn't prevent an inexperienced diver from going deeper than his experience dictates.

Nor does air, or any breathing gas. Which begs the question: what do you mean by

The use of Helium on a deep dive does however put a diver deeper than his experience may dictate.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom